MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, September 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 51.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

On which network are you watching the debates?

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

On which network are you watching the debates?

Postby jjoyce » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:47 am

And why?

I watch PBS, mainly because I like David Brooks and I can't stand the Spin Room bullshit. I find it to be the absolute bottom of the tank as far as political reporting goes. Lazy, volume over illumination, predictable.

I flashed over to NBC for a second only to see Brian Williams interviewing Rob Portman, who was right on message. Blech.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Re: On which network are you watching the debates?

Postby Endo Rockstar » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:53 am

I use rabbit ears and the only channel that would come in well last night was Fox. It was what you'd expect.

I was pretty much glued to twitter and reddit the whole time anyway -- that's where the real entertainment of live events is these days anyhow.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:57 am

I watched it on nbc just cause I was watching the voice before hand. After the debate I caught a couple minutes from the spin room[sic] and then went to facebook and then the forum*.

Endo Rockstar wrote:I was pretty much glued to twitter and reddit the whole time anyway -- that's where the real entertainment of live events is these days anyhow.

I didn't want the play by play no matter who it is from.

which i've come to learn i'm a pundit now. hooray.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby other i » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:02 am

I just stand in the middle of a neighborhood with my eyes closed. If you concentrate, you can hear the simultaneous death of all those millions of brain cells. No network is necessary. If you miss anything, you'll hear it the next day (regardless of whether you want to or not.)

Using that method I've learned all I need to know about things like Joe Biden's teeth, etc....
other i
Forum Addict

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:17 am

Watched the debate on NBC, and flipped through some of the commentary afterward. What the fuck is wrong with Krauthamer's face? Ugh I find most everything on Fox News disgusting but more in a intellectual way, not a physical stomach churning way.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:01 am

Shouldn't the question be "where are you getting your post-debate analysis?" I mean, the debate is the same on every station, isn't it? My TV was on NBC (from the Packer game maybe?) so that's what channel I watched.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:31 pm

I watched it on C-Span and turned it off shortly after the debate ended thereby avoiding the post-game analysis which tends to only reflect pre-existing biases. I was looking at Twitter during the debate a little bit, and it confirmed that people were seeing what they wanted to see through partisan-tinted lenses.

C-Span coverage was nice because it showed what was happening in the room for 1/2 hour leading up to the start of the debate.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:37 pm

pjbogart wrote:Shouldn't the question be "where are you getting your post-debate analysis?" I mean, the debate is the same on every station, isn't it? My TV was on NBC (from the Packer game maybe?) so that's what channel I watched.

here, and from my socially liberal, fiscally conservative boss reading the transcripts behind me.

All I can say is I'm glad I again didn't watch two guys give mental hand jobs to their supporters.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:31 pm

Watched it on CNN to see the focus group dials. Flipped around for post-game analysis.
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:28 pm

Watched it on PBS, simply because I happened to notice they had it on and I hadn't watched one on PBS before.

The one thing Obama did that just made me cringe was drop in a reference to Big Bird. Geezus, would you just give that a rest already? Nobody cares. It's a dumb thing to harp on.

I think Krauthammer's face is a true reflection of his soul, so we know where he's going....
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:59 pm

gargantua wrote:The one thing Obama did that just made me cringe was drop in a reference to Big Bird. Geezus, would you just give that a rest already? Nobody cares. It's a dumb thing to harp on.

I agree, but I'm not sure that such one-liners are intended for us. If Republicans had a one-liner about big bird, the crowd would be cackling like coked up chimpanzees every time he uttered it. I have to assume there's a similarly moronic contingent in the Democratic Party.

John Kerry is a flip-flopper who wants to cut and run! (the crowd goes wild)
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:07 pm

PBS.

By the way...maybe the whole nation was just too tired out after 90 some minutes but I have not heard anything from any side regarding the following disingenuous jewel.

"OBAMA: Candy, there are some jobs that are not going to come back. Because they are low wage, low skill jobs. I want high wage, high skill jobs. That's why we have to emphasize manufacturing. That's why we have to invest in advanced manufacturing. That's why we've got to make sure that we've got the best science and research in the world. And when we talk about deficits, if we're adding to our deficit for tax cuts for folks who don't need them, and we're cutting investments in research and science that will create the next Apple, create the next new innovation that will sell products around the world, we will lose that race."

WTF? How is it that technology jobs have been streaming off shore exponentially over the last decade or so and we ignore this fact. Obama had me with him until this point. I am considering sitting this one out unless there is some resolution in this reality deficit.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:10 pm

pjbogart wrote:If Republicans had a one-liner about big bird, the crowd would be cackling like coked up chimpanzees every time he uttered it.

FYI, coked up chimpanzees are more concerned about ripping off human genitals, faces and other soft body parts vs. cackling at big bird one liners.

Just sayin'.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:15 pm

Mad Howler wrote:WTF? How is it that technology jobs have been streaming off shore exponentially over the last decade or so and we ignore this fact. Obama had me with him until this point. I am considering sitting this one out unless there is some resolution in this reality deficit.

KurtW had a post on this. It is a valid point. "Advanced manufacturing" is a specific term that probably does not mean what you think it does.

Don't ask me. Kurt is the engineer.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:16 pm

I've watched the last two streaming from C-SPAN, but contrary to Dangerousman, I stick around for the calls. I am morbidly fascinated how many independents are still so motivated to voice their opinions, yet not quite motivated enough to research the candidates' positions before the debates, because there is nothing new under the sun coming out in the debates. And yet, most say that something within the debate has influenced them to make a choice. Of course, not all of them are really independent, but that makes it more of a game, trying to identify the sneaks.

Yes, I still pine for the old debates, sponsored by the League of Women Voters, which managed to pin the candidates down on tough questions from time to time. Unfortunately, we have allowed the debates to turn into Dancing with the Candidates, where a good show is more important than bringing policy weaknesses to light.

From the press release when the LWV dropped their sponsorship in 1988:
The League of Women Voters is withdrawing sponsorship of the presidential debates...because the demands of the two campaign organizations would perpetrate a fraud on the American voter. It has become clear to us that the candidates' organizations aim to add debates to their list of campaign-trail charades devoid of substance, spontaneity and answers to tough questions. The League has no intention of becoming an accessory to the hoodwinking of the American public.

They were right on the money, no?
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to National Politics & Government