MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, March 1, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 18.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Most heartbreaking election

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Which presidential election result did you take the hardest?

72 Nixon McGovern
No votes
76 Carter Ford
No votes
80 Reagan Carter
4%
84 Reagan Mondale
8%
88 Bush Dukakis
No votes
92 Clinton Bush
8%
96 Clinton Dole
No votes
Y2K Bush Gore
46%
04 Bush Kerry
17%
08 Obama McCain
17%

Total votes : 24

Most heartbreaking election

Postby Huckleby » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:49 pm

I found Reagan-Mondale crushing because I really like Mondale personally, and I had thought Reagan had been exposed as being over ripe.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Most heartbreaking election

Postby ilikebeans » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:54 pm

Bush-Kerry destroyed any shred of faith I had left in a majority of the American voters being informed on current events before heading to the polls.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:13 am

Kerry-Bush is the freshest wound to the tender liberal heart, so that makes it a little worse.

If Obama loses this fall and Dems hold senate, I will be merely suicidal.
If the Republicans take all branches of federal gov, I'm taking some other people with me to the afterlife.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bludgeon » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:43 am

Most heartbreaking election: 08, Obama/Clinton. The real 2008 election; much more blatant and objectionable than 2000.
Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:08 am

Bush/Gore was when the Republicans showed their true colors. They pulled out all the stops and demonstrated that if you quit worrying about long term consequences and concentrate on winning above all else, including ethics, pure muscle is all you need.

They've never forgotten that.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:10 am

None of the above. Russ in 2010 for me. "Independent" tea baggers chose a party line empty suit over the only real independent.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:40 am

Huckleby wrote:If Obama loses this fall and Dems hold senate, I will be merely suicidal.
If the Republicans take all branches of federal gov, I'm taking some other people with me to the afterlife.

Yeah. "This is what democracy looks like" in Wisconsin, isn't it? Meade and Ann showed us what democracy looks like there and it is NOT pretty.

If your side wins, great.

If your side loses, in a democratic vote, go ahead and commit murder. It's the Wisconsin way!

I hope you were speaking tongue in cheek.

Unfortunately there are a lot of unhinged people threatening riots and murder if Obama loses. Even if you are speaking tongue in cheek, I fear there are enough that are not.

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:02 am

Huckleby wrote:If Obama loses this fall and Dems hold senate, I will be merely suicidal.

What the hell?

All I can say is that I hope Ducatista's hypothesis is correct, Huckleby is just a sock-puppet for bdog, and this post was just a poorly-calibrated attempt at making the "Huckleby" persona appear sufficiently left-of-center.

Otherwise, this post is yet another piece of evidence that this election season is just making people crazy around here.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:24 am

kurt_w wrote:

What the hell?

All I can say is that I hope Ducatista's hypothesis is correct, Huckleby is just a sock-puppet for bdog, and this post was just a poorly-calibrated attempt at making the "Huckleby" persona appear sufficiently left-of-center.

Otherwise, this post is yet another piece of evidence that this election season is just making people crazy around here.

You obviously fancy yourself a very smart guy. Being facile with language and facts is excellent, but more impressive is an open and imaginative mind. See if you come-up with another theory, grasshopper.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:40 am

Huckleby wrote:See if you come-up with another theory, grasshopper.

Back the fuck up, Huck. You don't get to play the upper hand after writing something so monumentally disturbing and stupid as, "If the Republicans take all branches of federal gov, I'm taking some other people with me to the afterlife."

It's idiocy (or serious mental illness, at best) to think it. It's poor judgement of the highest order to write such a thing on a web forum, regardless of your true convictions.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:42 am

It's idiocy (or serious mental illness, at best) to think it. It's poor judgement of the highest order to write such a thing on a web forum, regardless of your true convictions.

Only washed up rock stars with gun fetishes are allowed to say that kind of stupid shit.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:01 am

Mean Scenester wrote: Back the fuck up, Huck. You don't get to play the upper hand after writing something so monumentally disturbing and stupid

It's a JOKE. Even if you don't find the joke funny, you ought to have the imagination and tolerance to suspect black humor rather than jumping to personal attacks.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:04 am

That was supposed to be funny? I dunno, I find Ducatista's hypothesis more convincing.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:07 am

a lot of severely constricted sphincters around here. Maybe an aerobics class might help.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:09 am

It was obviously a joke. Not a very good one, but a joke nonetheless.

I picked Reagan-Mondale, because that was the last time any candidate ever dared to be honest with the American people about his tax plans. That lost him the election and that lesson has been learned by every presidential candidate since.

We earned the level of political discourse we're getting. The 84 election was the first down payment.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to National Politics & Government