MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, August 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 81.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Akin II [er, III] [oops, now IV]

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Akin II [er, III] [oops, now IV]

Postby kurt_w » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:14 am

Indiana Republican senate candidate Richard Mourdock shoots himself and his party in the foot:

GOP Senate Candidate: 'God Intended' Pregnancies From Rape

Indiana Republican Senate candidate Richard Mourdock said pregnancies resulting from rape are part of God's plan, tearfully explaining that he only supports abortions when a mother's life is in danger.

"I think even when life begins in that horrible situation of rape, that it is something that God intended to happen," Mourdock said during Tuesday's Senate debate, choking up. Mourdock's opponent, Democratic Rep. Joe Donnelly, opposes abortion except in cases of rape and incest.

What is wrong with those guys? I'm sure Mourdock doesn't mean that he think God wants women to be raped. But how out of touch does a person have to be to say something like that?

The Romney campaign is frantically trying to disassociate itself from Mourdock, an effort complicated by the fact that Romney just cut an ad endorsing Mourdock:

"As Mourdock's most prominent booster and the star of Mourdock's current campaign ads, Mitt Romney should immediately denounce these comments and request that the ad featuring him speaking directly to camera on Mourdock's behalf be taken off the air," [said DNC Chairwoman Debbie Wasserman-Schultz in a press statement]

After Todd Akin's similarly disastrous comments about rape earlier this year, the Democrats pointed to video of Romney saying that he would be "delighted" to sign a bill banning all abortions, including in cases of rape or incest.
Last edited by kurt_w on Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Akin II

Postby kurt_w » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:18 am

Recall also that Mourdock got the nomination because right-wingers in the Indiana GOP threw out their more moderate senator, Richard Lugar, during the primaries, and replaced him with this neanderthal Mourdock character.

Maybe turning over the reins of your party to its most extreme faction isn't necessarily the best idea? Hmmmmm...
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:15 am

kurt_w wrote:Maybe turning over the reins of your party to its most extreme faction isn't necessarily the best idea? Hmmmmm...

What is the percent of Democrats who are pro life? 30%?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:16 am

ALL Democrats are pro-life.

Some are also against abortion.
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:54 am

What percentage of male Republican senate candidates think that pontificating about how women can't get pregnant from rape, or if they do it's because God planned it that way will help their campaign?

We know it's at least 8%, but will the number go higher?
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:09 am

Oh, my, my Mittens. Bad move.

"Gov. Romney disagrees with Richard Mourdock, and Mr. Mourdock’s comments do not reflect Gov. Romney’s views," Romney campaign spokeswoman Andrea Saul said in an email. "We disagree on the policy regarding exceptions for rape and incest but still support him."

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:58 pm

Why does Mourdock feel it is acceptable to subvert his God's will when the mother is in danger? Does his God know of Mourdock's impudence?
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:11 pm

New Hampshire GOP Senator Kelly Ayotte has just canceled plans to campaign with Mourdock. Wise move.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:35 pm

For those struggling to keep track of all the different types of rape, here's a handy chart:
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/10/2 ... etail=hide
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:47 pm

DCB wrote:For those struggling to keep track of all the different types of rape, here's a handy chart:
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/10/2 ... etail=hide

Make sure you click on the video underneath the graphic where Al Franken embarrasses the shit out of an arbitration lawyer for KBR who has managed to prevent a rape victim from having her day in court for four years and counting.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:48 pm

That's just brutal.

(Well, the whole thing was brutal, as Franken did a fine job of showing.)

I can't believe how hard it was to get this guy a Senate seat, and what a fine senator he's been.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:59 pm

I was absolutely, totally, and spectacularly wrong about Al Franken. I freely admit it.

I didn't like the guy, thought he would be a terrible senator, and thought his nomination by the Democrats was a joke.

Boy, was I wrong. He's turned out great.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:15 pm

And now there's a third male Republican senate candidate making embarrassing off-the-cuff remarks about rape!

Here's Tom Smith, the GOP senate candidate in Pennsylvania:

Pennsylvania Senate Candidate: Daughter’s Out-Of-Wedlock Pregnancy ‘Similar’ To Rape

Yes, his own daughter got pregnant when she wasn't married ... and apparently Mr Smith thinks that's more or less equivalent to rape?

Somebody at the RNC needs to call the party's remaining 23 male senate candidates into a closed-door meeting and tell them that the final weeks of an election campaign are probably not the best time to be sharing their wacky ideas about rape with the general public.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:26 am

mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:01 pm

And the dopey pontificating about rape by old white right-wing Republican males continues. Here's Georgia congressman Phil Gingrey:

“What he [Todd Akin] meant by legitimate rape was just look, someone can say I was raped: a scared-to-death 15-year-old that becomes impregnated by her boyfriend and then has to tell her parents, that’s pretty tough and might on some occasion say, ‘Hey, I was raped.’ That’s what he meant when he said legitimate rape versus nonlegitimate rape [....] I don’t find anything so horrible about that. But then he went on and said that in a situation of rape, of a legitimate rape, a woman’s body has a way of shutting down so the pregnancy would not occur. He’s partly right on that.

“I’ve delivered lots of babies, and I know about these things. It is true. We tell infertile couples all the time that are having trouble conceiving because of the woman not ovulating, ‘Just relax. Drink a glass of wine. And don’t be so tense and uptight, because all that adrenaline can cause you not to ovulate.’ So he was partially right, wasn’t he? But the fact that a woman may have already ovulated 12 hours before she is raped, you’re not going to prevent a pregnancy there by a woman’s body shutting anything down, because the horse has already left the barn, so to speak. And yet the media took that and tore it apart.”

Gingrey later said that he was merely trying to provide context to Akin's remarks, but was not trying to defend them.

Fortunately the election's already over.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to National Politics & Government