MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Tuesday, July 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 84.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Colin Powell endorses Obama

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Colin Powell endorses Obama

Postby rabble » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:17 am

This is some really good stuff.

Sununu says Big Deal. The black general is endorsing the black candidate. So what?

McCain says that guy sat there and misled the United Nations Security Council and therefore cannot be trusted, never mind that I was spouting exactly the same stuff at exactly the same time.

Sununu has apparently tried to back down from the racism.

Man. Wingnuts say the craaaziest things.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Talon Newsman » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:43 am

rabble wrote:Sununu has apparently tried to back down from the racism.

I. Beg. Your. Pardon.

I have seen no evidence of this, and I can assure you that we conservatives do not back down.
Last edited by Talon Newsman on Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Talon Newsman
Forum Addict

Postby rabble » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:50 am

But it said in that article that he....

Damn. I sit corrected. Can't find any evidence either. Huh. That means we might see him double down any minute.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:13 am

Nice link, rabble.

The thing is, John McCain is absolutely right when he says this:

John McCain wrote:I think one of the sad aspects of his career is going to the United Nations Security Council and telling them things about Iraq that were absolutely false.

That is true. Colin Powell's presentation to the UN Security Council has permanently damaged his reputation.

Not that this helps Romney in any way, since it's his party that sent Secretary Powell to make that presentation, and Romney's list of advisors is practically a clone of the Bush Administration.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:39 am

kurt_w wrote:Nice link, rabble.

John McCain wrote:I think one of the sad aspects of his career is going to the United Nations Security Council and telling them things about Iraq that were absolutely false.

That is true. Colin Powell's presentation to the UN Security Council has permanently damaged his reputation.

Not that this helps Romney in any way, since it's his party that sent Secretary Powell to make that presentation, and Romney's list of advisors is practically a clone of the Bush Administration.

Yeah, Not entirely sure where McCain thinks bringing up the UN Security Council address is going to help Republicans. "Don't trust what this man says, he told the lies we fed him" just seems like it doesn't give you much credibility.

Sununu's statement is probably the least surprising of the two statements when you think about it. Quick show of hands; who is shocked that someone tried to discount the endorsement as racially motivated?
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:46 am

When Powell endorsed Obama he also said that we couldn 't back Romney because of his contradictory statements on his positions. Powell said he couldn't be sure what a President Romney would do once in office.

The GOP noise machine then immediately played the race card. He was called an affirmative action general. Russ Limbaugh said the only reason Powell endorsed Obama was because he is black.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:48 am

Henry Vilas wrote:The GOP noise machine then immediately played the race card. He was called an affirmative action general. Russ Limbaugh said the only reason Powell endorsed Obama was because he is black.

What a coincidence! That's also the only reason anyone endorsed Romney.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:54 am

kurt_w wrote:Nice link, rabble.

The difference is that Powell recognizes he made a mistake. It doesn't make up for that mistake, but it puts him in a different class from those other creeps.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:58 am

Francis Di Domizio wrote:Yeah, Not entirely sure where McCain thinks bringing up the UN Security Council address is going to help Republicans. "Don't trust what this man says, he told the lies we fed him" just seems like it doesn't give you much credibility

Otter: Colin Powell, you can't spend your whole life worrying about your mistakes! You fucked up... you trusted us!
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:19 am

Just by the sheer volume of verbal idiocy from down ticket Republican candidates and other people who should know better, I'm starting to think the whole Republican presidential campaign has just been one huge hazing prank on Romney.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:29 am

Of course he endorses Obama, he's a RINO.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:51 am

jman111 wrote:Of course he endorses Obama, he's a RINO.

A centrist ex-general endorsing the centrist president from the nation's only centrist party. I guess that is not exactly news....
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:13 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:Obama's plan for a bathtub-sized navy trumps any endorsement from Powell.

we are getting so weak! its just a matter of time before we're invaded by Mali.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:19 pm

DCB wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:Obama's plan for a bathtub-sized navy trumps any endorsement from Powell.

I heard that Iran is building a major new sea port and naval base in northern Mali.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Talon Newsman » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:21 pm

kurt_w wrote:
DCB wrote:

I heard that Iran is building a major new sea port and naval base in northern Mali.

Exactly! Everyone knows that Mali is Iran's route to the sea.
Talon Newsman
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government