MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, August 2, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 56.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Christie's remarks

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Christie's remarks

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:44 pm

Limbaughs speculating that Christie's "rope-a-doping" the Bamster by stroking his ego and making him waste a lot of precious time in a state that he's already going to win while at the same time getting his money.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:47 pm

Will this endless cynicism finally end after the election? Because holy shit, isn't it just possible that Christie is sincere and that the Feds, under Obama's leadership, are actually doing a decent job handling this disaster?

Fuckin'-A, Ned - is there anything that's not about a power grab in your eyes?
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Talon Newsman » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:48 pm

I, too, find Limbaugh's desperation to be touching.
Talon Newsman
Forum Addict

Postby rabble » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:49 pm

If you consider it wasted time, I guess that makes sense.

Say Ned, do you think FEMA should be dismantled?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:57 pm

rabble wrote:Say Ned, do you think FEMA should be dismantled?

I'd also like to see an answer to this. Ned?
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:59 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Will this endless cynicism finally end after the election? Because holy shit, isn't it just possible that Christie is sincere and that the Feds, under Obama's leadership, are actually doing a decent job handling this disaster?

Not when this crony crew is involved.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:04 pm

ilikebeans wrote:
rabble wrote:Say Ned, do you think FEMA should be dismantled?

I'd also like to see an answer to this. Ned?

Bump.

Ned will have trouble answering this as the right wing talking points on FEMA are a very mixed bag right now.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nutria » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:08 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:
Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Will this endless cynicism finally end after the election? Because holy shit, isn't it just possible that Christie is sincere and that the Feds, under Obama's leadership, are actually doing a decent job handling this disaster?

Not when this Krony Krew is involved.

Fixed that for you.

Listen Ned, we know you're upset that you're savior Romney likely won't pull out the election, but is it really so troubling for you that the federal and state governments are working together quickly and efficiently to mitigate the damage? Honestly now, what would you like Christie & Obama to have done differently over the last few days?
nutria
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:18 pm

It seems pretty clear Christie has never really liked Romney that much - they're obviously pretty different on a personal level and politically have very, very different instincts.

I DO think they're both fairly opportunistic and while I don't doubt Christie is doing what he can to help with disaster relief, I also have no doubt he is just "speaking his mind" - dude sees a chance to A) throw the 2012 candidate under the bus a bit and B) set things up to look like a good choice for 2016 and he's going for it.

Despite Nedly's rather limp chime-in, this isn't so much about "who controls the purse strings", as NJ is going to get the same assistance no matter what - it's about what happens after Romney loses. Christie is easily poised to be THE guy once the GOP backs down a bit from their current ledge.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:25 pm

nutria wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:

Not when this Krony Krew is involved.

Fixed that for you.

Listen Ned, we know you're upset that you're savior Romney likely won't pull out the election, but is it really so troubling for you that the federal and state governments are working together quickly and efficiently to mitigate the damage? Honestly now, what would you like Christie & Obama to have done differently over the last few days?

It's only been a day. So far, so good. I have sources on the ground telling me South Jersey is bad, but could have been a lot worse. Mostly water and wind damage to homes closest to the beach. But no complete wash-out of the barrier island towns. The dunes appeared to have held and done their jobs. The GSP has reopened from exit 38 down, but some of the towns are still closed due to downed wires/sitting water.

I anticipate that most of this will be cleaned up in time for tourist season next year.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:29 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:Limbaughs speculating that Christie's "rope-a-doping"

Well... that's just crazy enough to work!
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Woofer » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:29 pm

I was listening to Rush this afternoon (don't ask me why). I didn't hear anything about rope-a-doping, but what I did hear Rush say was that Obama may have told Christie to say nice things about him in exchange for more federal FEMA money. I was waiting for the usual backpedaling Rush does when he's being deliberately facetious but, no, he didn't equivocate at all. That's when I realized that Rush really IS desperate. (Or is playing desperate--- it's been my long held belief that Rush doesn't believe one word of what comes out of his mouth. It's just his schtick. It's how he makes money. No one thinks Don Rickles ever actually hated everybody...)
Woofer
Forum Addict

Postby Madsci » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:39 pm

Just shows that Cristie is a bigger man than me.

Which really isn't hard to do. I am a woman and weigh under 130lbs.

Whatever his motives, it is refreshing to hear that some R's can play nice.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:04 pm

I'm trying to remember what exactly it was that started Flanders on the rope-a-dope thing. It was a while ago, more than five years IIRC. George Bush did something really, really dumb, and Flanders insisted for months it was all a clever rope-a-dope plan to destroy the Democrats once and for all.

Maybe the Social Security privatization thing? I can't remember exactly. There was definitely a period of months when Flanders kept using that "rope-a-dope" expression, while Bush's polling numbers slowly sank down through the floor.

Ah, those were the days.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stomach » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:15 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:Limbaughs speculating that Christie's "rope-a-doping" the Bamster by stroking his ego and making him waste a lot of precious time in a state that he's already going to win while at the same time getting his money.

Wasting precious time being shown as a bipartisan leader on the national news? That's gonna kill him in the polls.

Wait for it... :roll: YEAH!
Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government