MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, October 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 59.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Why Romney Lost

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Why Romney Lost

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:31 am

Bobby Jindal calls Romney’s ‘gift’ comments ‘absolutely wrong’

Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal criticized former Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney on Wednesday for saying that he lost the 2012 election to President Barack Obama in part because Democrats promised "gifts" to minority groups, calling Romney's remarks "absolutely wrong."

Is Jindal positioning himself for a 2016 run for president?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:02 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Is Jindal positioning himself for a 2016 run for president?

Yup.
On Monday he told Politico, “We cannot be, we must not be, the party that simply protects the rich so they get to keep their toys.”

He’s calculating that trickle-down policies—policies that explicitly, unapologetically protect the rich—will never get a Republican elected president again.

This is a weaker position, rhetorically. “I’m for some low taxes for some people” is harder to explain than “No new taxes.” But it’s one of the uncomfortable subtleties that Republicans are going to have to learn how to say out loud. Jindal is effectively announcing his candidacy for president in 2016. He also just pulled the drain plug on the rising tide that lifts all boats.

I predict a slightly saner race and ever so slightly complicated arguments in 2016. The Republicans will rely on longer sound bytes and run somebody, even if it's not Bobby, who has better chance than a snowball in hell.

Whether that will gain or lose them votes is to be seen. I think it's even money that the Tea Party will split off into their own little fantasy world.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:45 pm

Never one to avoid the national media, Scott Walker schedules for tomorrow an announcement that he'll let the feds set up Wisconsin's healthcare exchange.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/news/179529961.html

So does this mean the federal government isn't so bad after all? Or if the feds mess it up, it's not on Scott? Or is he bowing to the Teaps and not to the healthcare industry, trying to look more grass-roots? Or does he think it's such a bad idea he doesn't want his fingerprints on it anywhere? Or does he think sulking about the ACA makes him look more future-presidential?

WaPo columnist Jonathan Bernstein thinks it's spite:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/pos ... ml?hpid=z2

Whatever it is, I'm glad because I thought Walker would sabotage it if he set it up in-state, and the feds will probably do a decent job since it's one of Obama's signature projects.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:14 pm

snoqueen wrote:Whatever it is, I'm glad because I thought Walker would sabotage it if he set it up in-state, and the feds will probably do a decent job since it's one of Obama's signature projects.

I'm sure he's intent on sabotoging it any way he can.

Maybe he thought it would be easier to screw it up passively (interfering with the federal exchange) than actively.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:06 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Bobby Jindal calls Romney’s ‘gift’ comments ‘absolutely wrong’

Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal criticized former Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney on Wednesday for saying that he lost the 2012 election to President Barack Obama in part because Democrats promised "gifts" to minority groups, calling Romney's remarks "absolutely wrong."

Is Jindal positioning himself for a 2016 run for president?

I think it's great that Republicans seem compelled to move to the center, but are they talking about reworking their platform or just talking about repackaging the product they're selling? They've boxed themselves into a corner and moderating their policies will enrage their base. I don't consider it a foregone conclusion that moderate Republicans will successfully right their ship. It's not so much a numbers game as a passion game, and the wing-nuts have all the passion.

"You've been telling me for 30 years that Mexicans are ruining our country, now you want me to learn Spanish?"
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:52 pm

http://wonkette.com/489966/anonymous-cl ... ore-489966

Oh cool, Anonymous (we think it is Anonymous?) says Karl Rove was gonna vote fraud all the Machines, and that’s why he was so flabbergasted and refused to believe it when Fox called Ohio for Bamz, but they stopped him from stealing all the Machines by jamming up ORCA, because it was not actually a GOTV system but a “steal the vote” system, but they stopped him, we are pretty sure that is what the following letter, which we guess is from Anonymous probably, says.
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:37 pm

Top Romney Adviser Brags About Losing Poor, Minority Voters To Obama

"On Nov. 6, Mitt Romney carried the majority of every economic group except those with less than $50,000 a year in household income," Stevens wrote. "That means he carried the majority of middle-class voters. While John McCain lost white voters under 30 by 10 points, Romney won those voters by seven points, a 17-point shift."

According to Stevens, "The Republican Party has problems, but as we go forward, let's remember that any party that captures the majority of the middle class must be doing something right." As a result, "Republican ideals -- Mitt Romney -- carried the day."
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:39 pm

Boy. That there is some really creative thinkin'. That's what America great!
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:21 pm

More gems from Stevens:
http://www.politico.com/story/2012/11/84381.html

Must be in complete cover my own ass mode considering Mitt Romney had no ground game to speak of. I think it's great these idiots can't learn from their mistakes or be honest even with themselves. It just means they'll continue to lose.

In the meantime my favorite Republican candidate, john Huntsman, is currently making the rounds speaking the truth and making sense. Of course this disqualifies him from advancing in the Republican party.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:39 pm

fisticuffs wrote:In the meantime my favorite Republican candidate, john Huntsman, is currently making the rounds speaking the truth and making sense. Of course this disqualifies him from advancing in the Republican party.

I'm mystified why Huntsman doesn't just jump the aisle already.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:00 pm

Detritus wrote:
fisticuffs wrote:In the meantime my favorite Republican candidate, john Huntsman, is currently making the rounds speaking the truth and making sense. Of course this disqualifies him from advancing in the Republican party.

Probably because he is an actual Republican. The man sounds presidential to me:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/2 ... more204876

"In my party, compromise cannot be seen as analogous to treason, which it has been recently," he said. "You will have to have some compromise built in, and perhaps even on the marginal rates going up for a certain income category. My going-in position would be: Let's work on phasing out all the deductions and loopholes. There is a trillion dollars there. Let's see where that leaves us and move forward before you start willy-nilly raising taxes."

Not bad....

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:18 am

Romney was the 2012 Republican version of John Kerry in 2004, a tackling dummy. Why mess with success considering how easy their bucket list is being enacted?
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:51 am

Detritus wrote:

Do any Mormons consider themselves to be Democrats?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:52 am

Henry Vilas wrote:
Detritus wrote:

Do any Mormons consider themselves to be Democrats?

Honest uncle Harry.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:14 am

Well, there is this: http://ldsdems.org/

They probably have the same membership as the Cap Times has subscribers.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government