MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, August 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 60.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

People I'm done with, as of today

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: People I'm done with, as of today

Postby gargantua » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:39 am

Not political, but Mike Heller. His commentary on his sports talk show often sounds like an angry donkey braying for dinner rather than any sort of discussion.

As a former state worker, the Tommy Thompson era was a fascinating time to be in state government. Whether you like him or not, feel he was ethical or not, the man knew how to get things done. And he took better care of state employees than many Democratic governors, by improving fringe benefits and foisting the costs on....people today! He was a master at spending and pushing the consequences on down the road. I'm not saying he should teach, but he should certainly be studied.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:07 pm

gargantua wrote:Not political, but Mike Heller. His commentary on his sports talk show often sounds like an angry donkey braying for dinner rather than any sort of discussion.

ya, he really is a dickhead, and not in a good way. He's nasty to callers, which is cowardly.

In the world of politics, I love to catch some Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Laura Ingram and my very favorite, Ann Coulter. It's definitely important to control dosage, but I find it informative and entertaining to hear-out the other side. Even Dennis Miller.

My least favorite media personality on the planet is Neil Heinen. I despise him because he is so aggresively inoffensive. He offers dignified editorials to recommend bike helmets, urge politicians to work together, and congratulate winning sports teams.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:43 pm

gargantua wrote:As a former state worker, the Tommy Thompson era was a fascinating time to be in state government. Whether you like him or not, feel he was ethical or not, the man knew how to get things done. And he took better care of state employees than many Democratic governors, by improving fringe benefits and foisting the costs on....people today! He was a master at spending and pushing the consequences on down the road. I'm not saying he should teach, but he should certainly be studied.

Don't get me wrong. Yes, if you're going to study WI government, public policy, etc. it would be folly not to dissect the Tommy era. I worked many years under the Thompson administration and while I agree civil servants fared better then than they do know, the case can easily be made that we'd fare better now if Thompson hadn't handed McCallum a fiscal shit storm when he fled for DC. In many ways, the timing was just right for Thompson to get the hell out of Dodge and let someone else grab the mop and bucket. Thompson certainly dealt in better faith with the unions than his successors, but that sure ain't saying much. Granted, he was shrewd and knew how to pick his battles, but while he didn't vilify the state workforce as is in vogue now, he certainly helped set the stage for others to do so.

Saying his legacy should be studied isn't the same as saying he should be offered the opportunity to lead that discussion. That would hardly offer an objective overview, and shouldn't that be the aim in the classroom?

The Thompson era didn't reek of shit as badly things do today, but Christ people, let's not get too romantic here. As Republican leadership goes, the man was a far, far cry from the likes of Bob LaFollette or even Lee Dreyfus (if you want to talk tax cutters and deficit creators).
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:20 pm

My least favorite media personality on the planet is Neil Heinen. I despise him because he is so aggresively inoffensive. He offers dignified editorials to recommend bike helmets, urge politicians to work together, and congratulate winning sports teams.

The man is as old as I am. It's an age thing. We can't help it.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:34 pm

Huckleby wrote:

Bingo, bango, bongo. I can't stand his subservient, pandering bullshit, either. They should have cut the cord to his mic and knocked him off his soapbox years ago. And it's even worse when he starts whining about how something "ought to" be. Can't listen to him anymore. The remote comes out when he comes on.
doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Zoti Bemba » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:37 pm

I felt that way about Neil Heinen too until an editorial he did about a week after Act 10 was unveiled, when the protests were just getting going. I don't remember exactly what he said -- he was just droning on with his usual bland should/ought generalities -- but then at the end he congratulated Scott Walker "for doing something nobody thought possible: bring the state together." Straight into the camera, no inflection, no smile, no hint of the deep deep sarcasm embedded in the remark. And that's when I fell in love. I won't say I look for him every night, but if I've got the 10 o'clock news on I don't flip away until after Letterman starts, just in case.

Who am I done with? Sarah Palin and Newt Gingrich. They had me angry and scared and confused and frustrated. Saw their names in headlines over the last two days or so and thought, "Meh." No rise in blood pressure, not even worth my time to call them idiots. Karl Rove may be headed in the same direction.
Zoti Bemba
Forum Addict

Postby snoqueen » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:46 pm

Yep, you can write Karl Rove off.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ele ... e/?hpid=z2

Link is not worth clicking. Headline is all you need to know:

"Karl Rove: Obama ‘succeeded by suppressing the vote.'"

OK, Karl. We know. We know.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:25 pm

Dick Morris enjoyed a brief uptick in my approval after he got caught wearing a dog collar, crawling around a room under the direction of a dominatrix. I'm a sucker for a feel good, human interest story.

I think his recent melt-down is more humiliation than even he might crave. I don't want to see him on TV again, not even to close my eyes and picture Harvey Fierstein .
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to National Politics & Government