MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, August 29, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 65.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

People I'm done with, as of today

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: People I'm done with, as of today

Postby Detritus » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:55 pm

fennel wrote:Regarding Tommy teaching at UW, I'd like to know how much he'd be willing to donate the the U for that privilege.

I would like to know what, exactly, he would be qualified to teach? Gladhanding? Getting Speeding Tickets? Preventing Your Citizens from Evaluating Your Signature Programs? Making Millions from Cabinet Appointments? Campaigning Against Programs You Used To Run?
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:05 pm

I would say Dick Morris, except that I was pretty much done with him as of day 1.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:09 pm

Leprechauns and Betty White. They know why.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:55 pm

Detritus wrote:
fennel wrote:Regarding Tommy teaching at UW, I'd like to know how much he'd be willing to donate the the U for that privilege.

I would like to know what, exactly, he would be qualified to teach? Gladhanding? Getting Speeding Tickets? Preventing Your Citizens from Evaluating Your Signature Programs? Making Millions from Cabinet Appointments? Campaigning Against Programs You Used To Run?

Tommy Thompson was the most successful Governor in modern Wisconsin history. Also an experienced legislative leader. If he were to be intellectually honest, and applied himself, he would be a wonderful resource for the La Follete School of Public Administration.
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:58 pm

jjoyce wrote:And I think Romney ought to be on a short list of guys consulted when big financial crises take place, like the Olympics.

Reaching out an olive branch to your political adversaries seems like a good strategy, especially if you're using that olive branch to build new alliances or expand your current alliances. But Mitt Romney's political capital is spent. His own supporters are feeling betrayed and deceived. After months of rehashing his business experience, including his amazing Olympic bailout, it seems clear that Romney's only business experience is being rich and using that wealth as leverage. Saddling companies with debt, using the courts to seize pension funds, applying for government bailouts and improperly using Chapter 7 and 11 bankruptcies to personally enrich yourself is hardly the kind of business acumen that helps a struggling economy. He's a swindler. A charlatan. A man who considers money more important than honor.

Mitt Romney deserves the same graciousness from Democrats that he'll get from Republicans. None at all.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:18 pm

Stu Levitan wrote:Tommy Thompson was the most successful Governor in modern Wisconsin history. Also an experienced legislative leader. If he were to be intellectually honest, and applied himself, he would be a wonderful resource for the La Follete School of Public Administration.

Tommy Thompson may have been the most successful politician in modern Wisconsin history, but I would not agree with the Governor or legislative leader part, except in the very basic way of forcing through what he wanted. You seem to have forgotten the multiple times he prevented everyone--the legislature included--from finding out how is Welfare to Work program was doing by refusing to release the findings. Also he launched the Department of Administration under Jim Klauser, which saddled the state with the PeopleSoft crap the UW is still struggling to get out from under. Then there was his Vanna White veto shenanigans, such as the time he creatively rewrote the Arts Board allocation to send it all to his wife's favorite orchestra. And that doesn't even touch his habit of diverting as much of the budget as possible to his road-building campaign contributors.

As a politician and an administrator he was an opportunist, an empire builder, and an arrogant sneak who made sure he and his cronies made as much money as possible from the public purse. I don't personally want to see him perpetuating those practices with a new generation.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:48 am

Blaska
Listening to him prattle on about conservatism is like listening to Kacey Anthony giving parenting advice.

Icky McVicki
Can't. Understand. Normal. Thinking.

Brian Schimming
The only thing fat boy is good for is telling us whether Icky McVicki had corn last night for dinner.
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:37 am

I'm so sick of hacky Maureen Dowd copy like this:

NOT since Lydia Bennet eloped with Mr. Wickham, not since Anna Karenina ran off with Count Vronsky, has such a hue and cry been heard about purloined affections.

The triangle that flared at the climax, with Chris Christie scampering away from Mitt Romney in the wuthering storm to cling to Barack Obama, the New Jersey governor’s brown eyes looking up trustingly into the president’s brown eyes, added a frisson to a jaundiced, spendthrift race.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:50 am

And I'm talking more about commentators and opinion slingers than people who have actually stepped into the ring.

Unfortunately those people never seem to go away no matter how poorly they perform. I turned off a lot of them a long time ago. No use for McKenna ever. Don't listen to Sly. Done with Blaska long ago although I wouldn't mind writing the guy off a second time just for the pure satisfaction. I rarely watch cable news but flipped between fox and MSNBC after the debates and on election night just to see what kind of nonsense there was to be seen. I'd be happy to be done with Big Ed and Rev. Al. Maddow I can still handle. Never had any use for fox outside the occasional peek inside the bubble but I still don't know how you can put a creature as unsettling to look at as Krauthamer on the television. He's no more bearable audio only, both for his voice and the words coming out of his mouth. Totally useless. I could understand letting him babble the talking points if he at least sounded good or looked good. Fox doesn't seem to have a problem employing attractive news readers but the guy has nothing.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:07 am

In some special hell, we can put Krauthammer and Dowd together on an island all their own. Fine with me.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:12 am

Detritus wrote:As a politician and an administrator he [Tommy] was an opportunist, an empire builder, and an arrogant sneak who made sure he and his cronies made as much money as possible from the public purse. I don't personally want to see him perpetuating those practices with a new generation.

Agreed. Unless the course is "Gaming the System 101" or "How to Succeed in Government Despite Your Alcoholism and Thinly Veiled Lechery," I don't see what the use would be of propping-up the old horse in front of a classroom of aspiring policymakers. The world needs glue too.

As for the OP, I guess I haven't had much use for any of the punditry set of either political stripe, because all their comments have fallen on deaf ears these last couple of cycles. I will say this: Now that Fox media whore/GOP sugar daddy Karl Rove has suffered a double defeat, somebody ought to let the wind out him and toss him to the curb like a twice-used Durex on prom night.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:09 am

At his best, Tommy was a coalition builder. Don't forget that he passed school choice with substantial help from black legislators in Milwaukee. I also recall the working relationship he had with Donna Shalala. A lot of what he accomplished was due to bipartisan support and network building. If students at the UW are interested in how policy has been made in Wisconsin, they need to study what happened in the '80s and '90s under Thompson.

Right? To believe otherwise is to let your ideology cloud your thinking.

I wonder what he'd say about this campaign. I wonder if he ran it the way he wanted to. The Republican party and politics in general have passed him by, and it seems like that's what a lot of people in Madison and on this board have bemoaned that situation. Maybe they're just fronting and really just hate Republicans.

Also don't forget that when Thompson was governor, he was the biggest cheerleader for the University. This state suffers when public education suffers and unlike our current governor, Thompson was a proud product of the UW. It defined his stance on issues like stem cell research, transportation and education.

Look at the guys who ran against Thompson: Garvey, Chvala, Loftus. Think any of those guys would have been better governors using any objective criteria (economic growth, funding for education, quality of life)? Not a chance.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:17 am

I'm actually done with people who are done with people. I find this self-indulgence rather funny. Whether you like any of these people (and most of them I'd like to be done with), they are going to be part of the landscape. Cow pies eventually dry and decay, but you better pay attention where you're putting your foot, just in case you misjudged how dry and decayed they are. So, I'll pay some attention to all of these people just to know what shit I'm going to be missing.
Last edited by Donald on Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:20 am

jjoyce wrote:At his best, Tommy was a coalition builder. Don't forget that he passed school choice with substantial help from black legislators in Milwaukee. I also recall the working relationship he had with Donna Shalala. A lot of what he accomplished was due to bipartisan support and network building. If students at the UW are interested in how policy has been made in Wisconsin, they need to study what happened in the '80s and '90s under Thompson.

Right? To believe otherwise is to let your ideology cloud your thinking.

I wonder what he'd say about this campaign. I wonder if he ran it the way he wanted to. The Republican party and politics in general have passed him by, and it seems like that's what a lot of people in Madison and on this board have bemoaned that situation. Maybe they're just fronting and really just hate Republicans.

Also don't forget that when Thompson was governor, he was the biggest cheerleader for the University. This state suffers when public education suffers and unlike our current governor, Thompson was a proud product of the UW. It defined his stance on issues like stem cell research, transportation and education.

Look at the guys who ran against Thompson: Garvey, Chvala, Loftus. Think any of those guys would have been better governors using any objective criteria (economic growth, funding for education, quality of life)? Not a chance.

Sorry, but I completely disagree with this. The UW stuff you are saying is almost funny. I have inside knowledge on the UW-Thompson relationship and it certainly isn't how you characterize it. The work on the UW's part to get Thompson to do anything was astronomical. Ask Phil Hellmuth Sr about that if you want. Shalala proposed running Phil for office to get what the UW needed.

The 90s were a time of unbelievalbe economic growth. I think any governor would have looked good during that period.
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:38 am

Tommy hurt funding for K-12 public education. Early in his governorship, he pushed through legislation eliminating property taxes for corporate computers. Since schools get most of their money from property taxes, homeowners and family farms (and indirectly, renters) had to make up the difference. Tommy blamed teachers and put revenue limits on school districts.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government