MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, November 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 43.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Taxes and fiscal cliff

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Taxes and fiscal cliff

Postby Stella_Guru » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:36 pm

DCB wrote:
fisticuffs wrote:http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/republicans-scoff-white-house-fiscal-cliff-opening-bid-235943793--politics.html

Boehner is SHOCKED, SHOCKED that the president would essentially stick to the plan he campaigned on and the American people voted to support.

Well, the Republicans only lost a few seats in both the House and the Senate, which must mean the country totally supports the Republican agenda. Any other conclusion is just LSM propaganda.

It's in theater mode now with the same tired-ass reruns intended to keep people scared shitless. Fact is, the Republican party does nothing to improve the lives of the average Limpnuts Limbaugh listener also.
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:19 pm

Pierce tells us why we should stop talking about the deficit
But the biggest reason why we should shut the national piehole on the topic is not that we have more serious problems, or even that any discussion violates the blog's first rule of economics — Fk The Deficit. People Got No Jobs. People Got No Money. The real reason we should stop talking about it for a while is that the people who are insisting that it will eat us and our posterity on toast are lying swine who would sell your white-haired granny to the Somali pirates for another three points on the Dow

He's referring to a report that looks at the a group called 'Fix the Debt'. These greedy, overpaid bastards are screwing their employees:
Forty-one of the 71 companies offer employee pension funds. Of these, only two have sufficient assets in their funds to meet expected obligations.

And they now have organized themselves to lobby for a program that will cut Social Security and Medicare, and they are trotting it out in public, and nobody has yet greeted them with the flying clumps of horse manure that are really the only answer to this shameless audacity. My god in heaven, the average Social Security recipient receives a little over $1200 a month, or roughly 400 times less than will David Cote
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:49 pm

I've liked the fiscal cliff ever since I heard it cuts military funding 10%.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:24 pm

snoqueen wrote:I've liked the fiscal cliff ever since I heard it cuts military funding 10%.

Not only that, let the Bush tax cuts expire and the wealthy take the biggest hit. Follow up with legislation that reinstates the middle class tax cuts as of Jan. 1.
http://robertreich.org
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:46 am

Its pretty weird to read all this scare-mongering about an artificial deadline from the people who created the artificial deadline.
And this
Atrios wrote:We must replace this economy killing deficit reduction plan with an economy killing deficit reduction plan.

If Graham was serious about avoiding the fiscal slope, he wouldn't be lying so much.

David Atkins wrote:The only part of Senator Graham's statement that isn't an obvious, easily refuted lie is the notion that we're actually going over the fiscal cliff. Good.

I hope he's right about that one. Glory hallelujah.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:18 pm

Fiscal Cliff Fictions: Let’s All Agree to Pretend the GOP Isn’t Full of It

This isn’t just cognitive dissonance. It’s irresponsible reporting. Mainstream media outlets don’t want to look partisan, so they ignore the BS hidden in plain sight, the hypocrisy and dishonesty that defines the modern Republican Party.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:20 am

Things are looking really bad for the GOP right now. By a large margin, every demographic group says that the Republicans will be to blame if we go over the cliff:

The Post site has a tool that lets you look at various demographic subgroups, and it turns out that everyone would blame Republicans. I figured maybe old people would blame Obama instead. Nope. Southerners? Nope. White people? Nope? High-income people? Nope. Literally the only group that didn't blame Republicans was....Republicans.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:46 am

I also agree with him when he says "Politically speaking, President Obama's main job is to keep things this way."

All he has to do is keep giving them enough rope to hang themselves and it appears he's doing just that.

I wish it had happened before they had enough time to do some real and permanent damage. That's the way it goes.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:08 pm

A good take down of the Republican "proposal"
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-12-0 ... offer.html
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:45 pm

Ezra Klein is reading the tea leaves. A deal might look like this:
Republicans agree to raising the top tax rates (but not up to the Clinton era);
Democrats agree to raising the eligibility age for Medicare.

On the latter point: its terrible policy, because the $5.7 billion in 'savings' just shifts the costs of healthcare for the 65-67 year olds to other sectors of the economy. And those costs will be $11 billion.

The only people who think that's a good idea are idiots and Republicans.

But Obama might agree to it, because it will make Republicans feel good. And then they'll have a Grand Bargain, and everyone has to sacrifice a little.

How about this: We recognize the Medicare is the most cost-effective health insurance plan in the country. So we lower eligibility to 0, lowering healthcare costs for the entire country.

Or, we could just send everyone over the age of 30 to Carousel.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:28 pm

From fisticufs: A good take down of the Republican "proposal" link.

1. It's not really a proposal -- it's just a set of headline numbers without specific policies. The letter says Republicans want to cut $900 billion from mandatory spending and $300 billion from discretionary spending, but they don't say what or how they want to cut.

So tell me if it's "not really a proposal" for Obama to propose unspecified spending cuts starting sometime out in the next 10 to 20 years?

The way I see it, neither side is serious.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:29 pm

Sandi wrote:So tell me if it's "not really a proposal" for Obama to propose unspecified spending cuts starting sometime out in the next 10 to 20 years?

Link please.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:00 pm

DCB wrote:But Obama might agree to it, because it will make Republicans feel good.

After 8 years of Bush I thought Obama's big election was a mandate for progressive change, not to make the cavemen feel good.
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:06 am

Okay so it kind of surprises me a little bit that the polls are not being kind to the Republicans.
And punditworld is abuzz with "What should Obama/Boehner do?" Take it to the wire? Compromise now?

In my own humble opinion Obama's goal should be to hang on tight to the "tax the rich" plank while giving Boehner a way to save face at least a little bit. Boehner's going to piss off a big faction no matter what he does but if both of them can pull off a "We put our differences aside for the good of the country" schtick, the Republicans might get a head start on rebuilding.

Which would be annoying to me because I'm getting no end of enjoyment watching the Republicans run around like the Red Queen screaming off with their heads but I'm willing to forgo that if they can at least pretend to be interested in something besides kissing Koch butt.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:35 am

rabble wrote:In my own humble opinion Obama's goal should be to hang on tight to the "tax the rich" plank while giving Boehner a way to save face at least a little bit.

Yes, afterall, who has the time to address the dynamics of Obama's crossing of the nation to fight for "tax increases for the wealthy", while at the same time cutting the safety net.
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government