MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, December 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 37.0° F  Light Drizzle Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Taxes and fiscal cliff

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Taxes and fiscal cliff

Postby Sandi » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:44 pm

Nitpick, nitpick. Anything to avoid arguing the matter at hand.


Nothing to argue or discuss, you made a statement requiring no answer.

But enough on this. I grow weary of it.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1790
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:31 pm

Re: Taxes and fiscal cliff

Postby pjbogart » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:37 pm

Sandi wrote:
Nitpick, nitpick. Anything to avoid arguing the matter at hand.


Nothing to argue or discuss, you made a statement requiring no answer.

But enough on this. I grow weary of it.


I'm starting to think that Sandi is some sort of internet comedian. This is actually pretty hilarious stuff, intentional or not.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6189
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2003 4:57 pm

Re: Taxes and fiscal cliff

Postby DCB » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:14 am

As I recall, what I said was
DCB wrote:This 'fiscal cliff' nonsense is just a scam by the usual suspects.


Well, there's been a lot talk since then. I still think its a scam.
Fix the Debt’s eagerness to point the finger at social safety net spending while virtually ignoring defense spending makes more sense in light of its corporate backing. A review of the group’s corporate ties shows that many Fix the Debt leaders have lucrative connections to companies with billions of dollars in defense contracts:


A good chunk of the federal deficit is from two stupid wars. But hey lets keep the checks coming for Boeing and Honeywell. We'll just take the money from the old people. We all have to sacrifice! But some of us are more sacrificial than others.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2800
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:08 pm

Re: Taxes and fiscal cliff

Postby Stella_Guru » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:38 am

DCB wrote: We'll just take the money from the old people. We all have to sacrifice! But some of us are more sacrificial than others.

As it now stands, the leader of the New Deal party proposes to change the way inflation is measured, scaling back cost of living increases in Social Security;
3% over 10 years, 6% over 20 years, 9% over 30 years. In dollar terms retirees would lose $6000 in first 15 years, $16000 over 25 years.
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1216
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:08 pm

Re: Taxes and fiscal cliff

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:05 pm

Now the GOP has rolled out Plan B, which would raise taxes on the poorest taxpayers.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 20279
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all

Re: Taxes and fiscal cliff

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:47 am

Speaker of the House Boehner has admitted he can't get his fellow Republicans to introduce a budget bill, so he says it's now Obama's responsibility.

Let me remind him that the Constitution says the House of Representatives is responsible for introducing spending bills.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 20279
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all

Re: Taxes and fiscal cliff

Postby gargantua » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:41 pm

I've heard a lot of "conventional wisdom" on MSNBC that the failure to even schedule a vote on Plan B reduces Boehner's leverage.


I don't see it that way. Now Boehner can go to Obama and say look, if I can't even get my own caucus to accept a tax rate increase on people making over a million, you have to know that they won't ever pass $400,000.

I hope as this plays out that it becomes increasingly clear that it is the Tea Party congressmen who are holding the entire country hostage to their ideology.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 4384
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2002 1:30 pm
Location: Madison

Re: Taxes and fiscal cliff

Postby snoqueen » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:41 pm

Given that the Republican Party has devolved into a bunch of warring tribal factions (not my quote), the center and left have a great opportunity. In any rational multi-party parliamentary system, when the right has fallen apart the next step is to build a coalition to the left. Can congress manage this? We'll find out.

All it takes are a few rational centrist Republicans to put the good of the nation above their pledge to Grover Norquist and their own bizarre view of the nation's future, a view not shared by anything approaching a majority of citizens. The Democrats and even the left face a nice opportunity here.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 11833
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2003 11:42 pm

Re: Taxes and fiscal cliff

Postby pjbogart » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:01 pm

snoqueen wrote:In any rational multi-party parliamentary system, when the right has fallen apart the next step is to build a coalition to the left. Can congress manage this? We'll find out.


Can you imagine what would happen if centrist Republicans banded with Democrats to elect a centrist Democrat or Republican as Speaker of the House? Technically, you don't even need to be a congressman to be elected Speaker, so they could even elect someone like Michael Bloomberg if they wanted. All you'd need is a parliamentary style coalition to buck the party line rule.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6189
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2003 4:57 pm

Re: Taxes and fiscal cliff

Postby Stella_Guru » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:12 pm

snoqueen wrote:Given that the Republican Party has devolved into a bunch of warring tribal factions (not my quote), the center and left have a great opportunity. In any rational multi-party parliamentary system, when the right has fallen apart the next step is to build a coalition to the left. Can congress manage this? We'll find out.

All it takes are a few rational centrist Republicans to put the good of the nation above their pledge to Grover Norquist and their own bizarre view of the nation's future, a view not shared by anything approaching a majority of citizens. The Democrats and even the left face a nice opportunity here.

Obama's current attack on the social safety net could fatally weaken and further antagonize his progressive support on Capitol Hill. His anti-New Deal, pro-Wall St. devotion to increased austerity may well come back to haunt him. When the poor and elderly face even harder times, where will the Obama excuse mongers line up then?
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1216
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:08 pm

Re: Taxes and fiscal cliff

Postby rabble » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:36 pm

Stella_Guru wrote: When the poor and elderly face even harder times, where will the Obama excuse mongers line up then?

Same place we always have. In the "he's not the Republican" line. Romney won the election for Obama just like last time.

All the GOP has to do is run someone who's not McCain or Romney. Or Gingrich or Ryan. The fact that they haven't been able to run a candidate who is remotely viable in the last two elections is testament to the shambles they've become.

But that ain't going to happen forever.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6541
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Re: Taxes and fiscal cliff

Postby Stella_Guru » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:19 am

rabble wrote:
Stella_Guru wrote: When the poor and elderly face even harder times, where will the Obama excuse mongers line up then?

Same place we always have. In the "he's not the Republican" line. Romney won the election for Obama just like last time.

All the GOP has to do is run someone who's not McCain or Romney. Or Gingrich or Ryan. The fact that they haven't been able to run a candidate who is remotely viable in the last two elections is testament to the shambles they've become.

But that ain't going to happen forever.

As Dems further encroach on rightwing policy turf the age of passivity and lack of scrutiny is coming to an end.
Last edited by Stella_Guru on Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1216
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:08 pm

Re: Taxes and fiscal cliff

Postby wack wack » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:02 am

Stella_Guru wrote: As Dems further encroach on rightwing policy turf...


Oh, puh-LEEZE.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3192
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2003 5:32 pm

Re: Taxes and fiscal cliff

Postby Stella_Guru » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:24 pm

wack wack wrote:
Stella_Guru wrote: As Dems further encroach on rightwing policy turf...


Oh, puh-LEEZE.

Get terrified dammit, and demand immediate solutions like cutting Social Security, Medicare, and Food Stamps.
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1216
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:08 pm

Re: Taxes and fiscal cliff

Postby Gattaca » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:11 am

I'm fascinated that the economy and the country seem to exist and in some places flourish while trillions in debt mount....I'm guessing the debt is meaningless and we are making much ado about nothing
Gattaca
Member
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:02 am

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR
Created with flickr badge.

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar