MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, December 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 25.0° F  Light Snow
Collapse Photo Bar

Citizens United and Election 2012

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Citizens United and Election 2012

Postby pjbogart » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:08 pm

So for all of the hand-wringing, a fair share of it my own, the ludicrous volumes of money poured into election 2012 showed mixed results and overall I'd call that a failure. According to this list from the New York Times, Republicans spent upwards of $350 million attacking Obama with the net result being a landslide electoral victory for Obama.

Wealthy individuals like Sheldon Adelson and the Koch brothers also had a lot of skin in the game and while their down ticket candidates probably fared well, their goal of defeating Obama went bust.

So how do we view Citizens United going forward? Will there still be the same raucous calls for it to be overturned, or will the deep pockets that fueled our fear simply walk away with so little success to show for all of that spending? My reaction is that I don't believe this fight is over, but it's certainly morphed into a different creature as the 2012 results came in.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Citizens United and Election 2012

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:15 pm

Citizens United helped get Ron Johnson and Scott Walker into office. Maybe those big bucks are more effective in state races.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:22 pm

I'd love to know what percentage of those hundreds of millions Karl Rove kept for himself, as payment for his "expertise".
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:36 pm

I think Citizens United will eventually be undone on principle (corporations are not people, money is not free speech). I see this on a long timeline: basically, we're waiting for Alito/Scalia/Thomas/allies to become the minority. But the law is too offensively absurd and contrary to common sense to survive indefinitely. The justices supposedly aren't swayed by popular opinion, but the court will change over time and CU will be revisited.

Meantime, it just lost its big scary teeth on the national level. All the big money in the world couldn't make up for the fact the Rs and Romney ran an imcompetent campaign and those who thought a deluge of scattershot advertising was stronger than carefully tailored and targeted messages aimed at particular potential voters were wrong. Also wrong were true-believers who thought well-conducted polling belonged in the junk science category along with climate change, and those who thought saying something enough times made it true.

Next time will be different, since nothing says even today's antiquated Republican Party can't reinvent itself, and the people with all that money might be stubborn, but they aren't dumb.

But for now, the message is that rivers of money aren't enough to make up for a world-view based on denial.

In Wisconsin, the Democrats need to up their game and catch up to the national party. They're still trying to run on reason, niceness, and unions -- all of which are just fine on their own. To regain the governorship and at least one house of the legislature, though, we need to make a few changes to counter that deluge of money. The events of 2011-2012 in Wisconsin show what happens if Democrats stay old-school instead of going with the best technology and science available.

Big money beats a poor game but loses to a great game -- that's where we stand right now. So the present effect of CU is to nudge -- no, make that require -- state Democrats to get competitive. To the extent you think the Obama administration and the national Democratic party are a force for good, CU is (for now) a good thing for national politics.

It's another example where those who try to resist change and cling to old ways will get left behind. I think CU is junk law, if that's a term, but that doesn't mean we can't work with it.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:48 pm

The public doesn't want that shit either. It was on the ballot in two states:

In Colorado and Montana voters overwhelmingly stated their disapproval of the campaign finance climate that emerged in the wake of the Supreme Court's 2010 Citizens United ruling by voting for resolutions calling for a constitutional amendment to overturn of the ruling and end so-called corporate personhood.

Pushed by a coalition of reform groups, voters in both states passed resolutions with more than 70 percent approval, and with support from both sides of the aisle.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/0 ... 89949.html

70% coming from a predominately red state is telling. I can't think of many referendums I've seen that carry a +70% shift for either viewpoint.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:12 pm

mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:16 pm

Man the Onion is killing it:
Karl Rove: Obama Won 'By Suppressing The Vote'

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/0 ... 94459.html

Oh wait. That's not The Onion. He really said that.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:30 pm

Sheldon Adelson spent $57.7 million on a collection of candidates, most notably Newt Gingrich and then Mitt Romney, trying to unseat President Obama.

Karl Rove is reportedly calling big money donors to explain the "$400 million they lost on Tuesday."

I have to believe that some of those wealthy donors will be less interested in his prognostications next time around.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:33 pm

pjbogart wrote:Karl Rove is reportedly calling big money donors to explain the "$400 million they lost on Tuesday."

I wonder if he'll explain it as a job-growth stimulus for the advertising industry.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Talon Newsman » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:44 pm

pjbogart wrote:Sheldon Adelson spent $57.7 million on a collection of candidates, most notably Newt Gingrich and then Mitt Romney, trying to unseat President Obama.

Karl Rove is reportedly calling big money donors to explain the "$400 million they lost on Tuesday."

I have to believe that some of those wealthy donors will be less interested in his prognostications next time around.

I have to believe that if I were Karl Rove, I would hire someone to start my car for me, for approximately the rest of my life.
Talon Newsman
Forum Addict

Return to National Politics & Government