MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, July 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 68.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Did G.O.P. get message on Immigration?

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Did G.O.P. get message on Immigration?

Postby Detritus » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:57 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:I think you forgot about the part about RR granting a "one time" amnesty to millions of illegal aliens, but, by all means continue your rant.

Remind me again what year he did that, and why it has any relevance to the Republican party today? You may as well argue (I'd check to see if you have already argued this, but I get enough boredom at work) that African-Americans should always vote Republican because Lincoln freed the slaves.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2352
Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: Did G.O.P. get message on Immigration?

Postby dave esmond » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:16 pm

Detritus wrote:Remind me again what year he did that, and why it has any relevance to the Republican party today? You may as well argue (I'd check to see if you have already argued this, but I get enough boredom at work) that African-Americans should always vote Republican because Lincoln freed the slaves.


Former union boss Reagan wouldn't make it out of a republican primary in 2012.
dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2565
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2001 4:15 pm

Re: Did G.O.P. get message on Immigration?

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:23 pm

Detritus wrote:You may as well argue (I'd check to see if you have already argued this, but I get enough boredom at work) that African-Americans should always vote Republican because Lincoln freed the slaves.
Oh, Ned has most definitely included Lincoln as an example of a good Republican before. Pretty sure he's even gone so far as to claim Jefferson for his party. He also thinks the Dixiecrats still count as good examples of Democrats today. He does this because although he can generally read words OK, he has a very hard time with context or historical perspective. It's one of the many reasons he's a never-ending source of hilarity.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 8757
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2002 6:35 pm

Re: Did G.O.P. get message on Immigration?

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:56 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
Detritus wrote:You may as well argue (I'd check to see if you have already argued this, but I get enough boredom at work) that African-Americans should always vote Republican because Lincoln freed the slaves.
Oh, Ned has most definitely included Lincoln as an example of a good Republican before. Pretty sure he's even gone so far as to claim Jefferson for his party. He also thinks the Dixiecrats still count as good examples of Democrats today. He does this because although he can generally read words OK, he has a very hard time with context or historical perspective. It's one of the many reasons he's a never-ending source of hilarity.


Right prof. Democrat racism is all in the past, all in the way-back past....'cept for the likes of Biden, Reid, Bubba, Hillary. You know, the people who lead the Democrat Party.

And who could forget the treatment that Michael Steele, Condi Rice, Colin Powell and Clarence Thomas among others have received from the non-racist Democrats?

Keep repeating. All, in the past, all in the past, all in the past....
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 13247
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 2:48 pm

Re: Did G.O.P. get message on Immigration?

Postby Detritus » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:00 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:Clinton's penis!

Just tightening up your argument a little--you're welcome!
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2352
Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: Did G.O.P. get message on Immigration?

Postby mrak » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:20 pm

The proof of the pudding, etc.

Percentage of Latino vote to GOP presidential candidates:

2004, G. W. Bush: 44%
2008, J. McCain: 31%
2012, W. Romney: 27%

You don't get a drop like that over 2 election cycles by merely under-serving a constituency. You get it by actively driving that constituency away.
mrak
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2393
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:26 pm

Re: Did G.O.P. get message on Immigration?

Postby Mad Howler » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:47 pm

Igor wrote:
Mad Howler wrote:I don't nessessarily disagree with you. But I have to ask myself as well as you...
Why?


Because someone from Mexico is no more or less deserving of citizenship than someone from Chile or Nigeria or Indonesia or Belarus. There are hard workers in all of those countries that will help grow our economy too.


Sorry, I missed your response last night. The arm chair economist in me agrees with your point, the nativist in me thinks that there are social and political advantages to giving preference to immigrants from countries that share our borders.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1266
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:36 pm

Re: Did G.O.P. get message on Immigration?

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:30 pm

Momentum builds for U.S. immigration reform plan

Two U.S. senators launched a fresh move to put together a bipartisan immigration reform plan on Sunday, restarting talks on a proposal that includes a path to citizenship for illegal immigrants already in the country.

Since President Barack Obama was re-elected last week with overwhelming support from Hispanic voters, many Republicans have expressed a new willingness to work with Democrats to pass immigration reform after years of legislative inaction.

Appearing on NBC's "Meet the Press," Democratic Senator Charles Schumer said he and Republican Senator Lindsey Graham have agreed to resume talks on immigration reform that broke off two years ago.

"And I think we have a darned good chance using this blueprint to get something done this year. The Republican Party has learned that being ... anti-immigrant doesn't work for them politically. And they know it," Schumer said.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 19597
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all

Re: Did G.O.P. get message on Immigration?

Postby Huckleby » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:23 pm

The Republicans blocked immigration reform in Obama's first term. Forget comprehensive reform, they filibustered the low-hanging fruit, the Dream Act, after it was passed by the House.

The Democrats "controlled" both houses of congress for only one year, then Scott Brown became the vote to uphold filibusters. There wasn't enough oxygen to pass both healthcare and immigration reform in 1 year.

Now the Republicans have come-to-Jesus and are rebranding as the champions of immigration reform, saying they must take the lead because Obama failed. (I heard a congressman take this tact on Stephenopolis show this morning, I expect it is the new party line.) Are people dumb enough to believe this? Maybe some. I expect most realize that it was Obama's victory that made reform possible.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6199
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:12 pm
Location: parents' basement

Previous

Return to National Politics & Government

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar