MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, October 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 42.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Happy Veterans Day!

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Happy Veterans Day!

Postby city2countrygal » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:22 am

Thank you to all the soldiers, past and present, who served during times of war and times of peace (including my grand-pappys:
WWII for USA and Canada)

Valor Is Stability,
Not Of Legs And Arms,
But Of Courage And The Soul."

-Michel De Montaigne

Americans and Europeans alike sometimes forget how unique is the United States of America. No other nation has been created so swiftly and successfully. No other nation has been built upon an idea—the idea of liberty. No other nation has so successfully combined people of different races and nations within a single culture. Both the founding fathers of the United States and successive waves of immigrants to your country were determined to create a new identity. Whether in flight from persecution or from poverty, the huddled masses have, with few exceptions, welcomed American values, the American way of life and American opportunities. And America herself has bound them to her with powerful bonds of patriotism and pride."

-Margaret Thatcher
March 8, 1991, Speech at Hoover Institution Lunch

Full version; I love how she wraps it up.
http://www.margaretthatcher.org/document/108264
city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Happy Veterans Day!

Postby KidCapitol » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:28 pm

Yeah, I'm sure that the children who are orphans because their civilian parents and relatives who were killed by American soldiers who invaded their one time peaceful homelands are really happy about veterans day too.

Victory to the freedom fighters who are fighting against the invading American forces.
KidCapitol
Forum Addict

Postby Meade » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:16 pm

KidCapitol wrote:Victory to the freedom fighters who are fighting against the invading American forces.

Hey, KidCapitol, ever thought of moving to a foreign country. Permanently. Or here's an idea: Move to hell.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:49 pm

Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:54 pm

It should be a national holiday,and so should presidential election days. But let's hope we don't need any more veterans.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:20 pm

Shorty wrote:It should be a national holiday...

It is.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:58 pm

What country do you live in? In the USA most people have to work on Veteran's day except the feds. Thus, it's not a national holiday.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:15 pm

Shorty wrote:What country do you live in? In the USA most people have to work on Veteran's day except the feds. Thus, it's not a national holiday.

It's called a federal holiday and it is not the only one where (some) states don't recognize, at least for a day off from work. Federally chartered banks are also closed on such holidays.

Constitutionally, there are no "national holidays" in the United States because Congress only has authority to create holidays for federal institutions (including federally owned properties) and employees, and for the District of Columbia. Instead, there are federal holidays, state holidays, city holidays, and so on.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:32 pm

Nit picky, aren't you?

Henry Vilas wrote:

It is.

if it's a federal holiday and not a national holiday, why did your reply say "it is" a national holiday?
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:13 pm

Shorty wrote:Nit picky, aren't you?

Henry Vilas wrote:

It is.

if it's a federal holiday and not a national holiday, why did your reply say "it is" a national holiday?

I assumed you meant federal, as there is no such thing as a national holiday. But quibble away, if you must.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:24 pm

Shorty wrote:Nit picky, aren't you?

Henry Vilas wrote:

It is.

Because there is no such thing as a "national holiday" so he assumed when you said "national holiday" you actually meant "federal holiday." I ended up with three goddamn deposits in my safe over the weekend, which always makes me nervous. If the bank isn't open, then it's a holiday. There's really no such thing as a holiday where literally everyone has off work. Even on Christmas and Thanksgiving you can find gas stations open, though you'll be shit out of luck if you're looking for some Twinkies.

The folks at Wal-Mart are pissed that they're moving Black Friday to Thursday but I don't really get that because Wal-Mart is open on Thanksgiving anyway. I know because my sister sent me there for some Balsamic Vinagrette last year for her salad that no one touched.

Religious holidays aren't supposed to be federal holidays, separation of church and state, dontchaknow? I only refuse to work on four days out of the year: Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas and Easter. And I don't even believe in god. I know that Thanksgiving isn't technically a religious holiday, but some jackass always insists on saying a prayer before I dig in.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:19 pm

pjbogart wrote: I only refuse to work on four days out of the year: Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas and Easter. And I don't even believe in god.

I refuse to work on labor day( I was born in Union County,NJ). I grill out, and I'm a vegetarian.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Return to National Politics & Government