MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, September 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 74.0° F  Light Rain
Collapse Photo Bar

Republicans begin copyright reform, get slapped down.

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Republicans begin copyright reform, get slapped down.

Postby rabble » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:19 pm

From Tech Dirt.

In the wake of the Big Loss of 2012, the GOP decided maybe it ought to do something that wasn't motivated by religion or plutocrats, so theRepublican Study Committee (the conservative caucus of House Republicans) put out a study that was seen by the internet community in general as amazingly insightful and realistic, debunking many myths. The forums were abuzz.

That was on the 16th. On the 17th, they issued a retraction, removed the study from the website and apologized for putting out such stuff without adequate reviews.

No one knows why, but the RIAA is being pretty smug about the whole thing.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Republicans begin copyright reform, get slapped down.

Postby snoqueen » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:21 pm

http://rapponthis.blogspot.com/2012/11/ ... rt-on.html

That's where you can now read the report they took down. It's both sensible and clear.

In rabble's original link, don't fail to read the comments.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:57 pm

The OP's original link is a humorous read. I'm not arguing that the copyright reform isn't a good idea, but the notion that college kids would flock to the Republican Party because of it is a bit overstated. Okay, it's delusional. "Yeah! Free downloads! I'm going to vote for the pro-life, racist homophobes in the next election!"

If powerful interests are blocking copyright reform, Republicans bowing to them is pretty much par for the course. Don't hold your breath for Democrats to leap to the rescue either... the issue is too obscure and the lobbyists know what they're doing.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:31 am

pjbogart wrote:Don't hold your breath for Democrats to leap to the rescue either... the issue is too obscure and the lobbyists know what they're doing.

That reminded me of one part of that Independent Lens show on the 1 percent. They did an interview with Bernie Madoff. Then they showed clips from the Sesame Street "I'm a Bill!" which, they say, is still used as a training tool.

Bernie says it ain't that way. Nowadays, everybody and everybody's staff is too busy to actually write the laws. They "hire" the lobbyists for that.

The lobbyists walk into the offices with laws already written up because how else are you going to know exactly what you're getting?

I had to admit, I thought the phrase "The lobbyists write the laws" wasn't really literal. I thought they just told the lawmakers what they wanted and then it got wrote up.

I can see where just handing over the written law would save everybody lots of time.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:06 pm

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Return to National Politics & Government