MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, July 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 70.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Unions prepare for protest at Michigan Capitol

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Unions prepare for protest at Michigan Capitol

Postby bdog » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:36 pm

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Unions prepare for protest at Michigan Capitol

Postby Lily » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:10 pm

Dec. 9, 2012. Detroit Free Press Editorial- A failure of leadership: Governor Snyder's about-face on right-to-work betrays voters

http://tinyurl.com/apcu22c
------------------------------------
"...In short, we trusted Snyder's judgment.

That trust has now been betrayed -- for us, and for the hundreds of thousand of independents who voted for Snyder with the conviction that they were electing someone more independent, and more visionary, than partisan apparatchiks like Wisconsin's Scott Walker or Florida's Rick Scott...

Watching Snyder explain his right-to-work reversal was disturbing on several levels.

His insistence that the legislation was designed to promote the interests of unionized workers and "bring Michiganders together" was grotesquely disingenuous; even as he spoke, security personnel were locking down the capital in anticipation of protests by angry unionists.

Snyder's ostensible rationale for embracing right-to-work legislation -- it was, he insisted, a matter of preserving workers' freedom of association -- was equally dishonest.

The real motive of Michigan's right-to-work champions, as former GOP legislator Bill Ballenger ruefully observed, is "pure greed" -- the determination to emasculate, once and for all, the Democratic Party's most reliable source of financial and organizational support."
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:51 pm

Lily wrote:the determination to emasculate, once and for all, the Democratic Party's most reliable source of financial and organizational support."

Great encapsulation, Lily.

That pretty much sums up why many people, including many union members, detest unions.

They often seem to exist more to funnel money from workers' pockets to the Democrat party than to benefit the workers.

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:02 pm

Anybody have a recommendation for a dog door that can be secured at night? I'm concerned the one presently in use is letting unwanted critters in.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:19 pm

Mean Scenester wrote:Anybody have a recommendation for a dog door that can be secured at night? I'm concerned the one presently in use is letting unwanted critters in.

Just put a bear trap inside the house right in front of the door before you go to bed.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:28 pm

I made a little sliding door out of thin plywood and some molding I had left over from another project. You slide it back and forth with your foot.

That's on an old solid wood door, of course. Don't know if it would work on those lightweight hollow foam-filled doors.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:52 pm

In one of my old houses I had a cat door, but had to block it up when my cat started inviting all her friends over.

Try using a hardware store door hook like people used to use on their screen doors. You can hook it shut at night.

Would you like a toasted cheese sandwich? I have extra.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby sallybell » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:05 pm

Stebben84 wrote:Just put a bear trap inside the house right in front of the door before you go to bed.

How do you keep bears out of your yard?

Put up a goalpost!
sallybell

Postby fennel » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:41 pm

This reminds me that I built my cat a portal (with a swinging door), via my kitchen wall to the basement staircase. He was awestruck at first, but then decided that only he had the vision to see it.

Now he – and only he – regularly passes into the subterranean realm and back again, as if by magic. He remains mum about his travels, though I've noticed he seems to weigh a bit less on his return.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:51 pm

If they don't have it at Farm & Fleet, it probably doesn't exist.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:19 am

sallybell wrote:How do you keep bears out of your yard?

Put up a goalpost!

Although I swore off emoticons years ago, I am tempted to put up a smiley face.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:01 pm

snoqueen wrote:Would you like a toasted cheese sandwich? I have extra.

I would love one, if you're delivering.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bleurose » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:53 pm

We have one of those flap cat doors on the door that leads from the sun porch into the garage and then another one on the garage door. But we have figured out that if we don't slide the blocking door down at night on the sun porch door, it takes the neighborhood raccoons about one night to let all their fellows know that once again, we are forgetting to close the cat door at night. So far, they have only come into the sun room, cleaned out all the food bowls, dirtied the water bowls and then shit in the corners. Where the other half finds it in the AM. When he starts cussing, I know I forgot to close the cat door.

I think a good-sized lab or Doberman would discourage any uninvited visitors, but we don't have a dog right now. Just the cats.
bleurose
Forum Addict

Postby Detritus » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:12 pm

I remember seeing ads for a pet door with either a magnetic or a computerized lock that would recognize a tag on your pet's collar an open for them, but otherwise stay shut. You might look for one of those.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:35 pm

After some thought, I've concluded that you don't need the pet door lock. What you need is one of these.

Then all the uninvited critters won't want to come in. They'll be fine right where they are.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to National Politics & Government