MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, October 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 52.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Tax Math

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Tax Math

Postby Sandi » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:36 pm

Actually, why is this off topic? It's about taxes.

Last week I bought a faucet for my kitchen sink. I paid taxes on it, so by your thinking, kitchen faucets are on topic.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:38 pm

This ain't your forum, I ain't your boy, and you were lying through your teeth when you said "So the 75% of the new taxes will come from Romney's plan that Obama was against."

Just admit that and I'll stop. It might cut into your well known credibility a little bit, but you're strong. You'll bounce back.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:13 pm

rabble wrote:This ain't your forum, I ain't your boy, and you were lying through your teeth when you said "So the 75% of the new taxes will come from Romney's plan that Obama was against."

Just admit that and I'll stop. It might cut into your well known credibility a little bit, but you're strong. You'll bounce back.

Not my forum: correct. As I don't know you at all, I have no idea who's ( if anyones ) boy you are, or if your an adult. Nor did I call you a boy at any time.

As for lying through my teeth, I didn't write the article in the NY Times, I posted it for discussion.

If you want to get a life and talk civil I will continue to debate with you. If you want to continue to be a troll, you will be ignored.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:32 pm

Sandi wrote:
Romney didn't have a plan. He called for a huge REDUCTION in rates and was to be offset by unspecified closing of loopholes (which anyone not on his payroll decried as impossible).

Ah, like Obama's "unspecified" spending cuts 10-20 years into the future!

Link on that please.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:43 pm

Sandi wrote:...I didn't write the article in the NY Times, I posted it for discussion.

But, did you READ it?
Seldom mentioned is that Mr. Obama’s revenue total also reflects four other changes from Bush-era tax cuts: higher tax rates on investment income from capital gains and dividends, and the restoration of two other Clinton-era provisions limiting deductions and tax exemptions for affluent individuals.

Together those changes would raise $407.4 billion over a decade — nearly as much as the president’s proposal on higher rates, which would raise $441.6 billion by 2023, for a total of $849 billion. Another $119 billion would come from higher estate taxes, opposed by Republicans and some Democrats.

And both the president and Republicans are committed to raising hundreds of billions of dollars by overhauling the tax code to further limit or end the tax breaks that high-income taxpayers can claim, though they differ in how to do that.

Mr. Obama has proposed to keep existing tax breaks but to limit the rate of those breaks for people in higher tax brackets to 28 percent, which would raise $584 billion in a decade. He has proposed variations of that proposal for four years, only to be ignored by both parties because of opposition from charitable groups, the housing industry, insurers and others to curbing deductions for charitable giving, mortgage insurance and other purposes.

Under Mr. Obama’s plan, the tax rates for long-term capital gains and dividends, now 15 percent, would revert to 20 percent for capital gains and to 39.6 percent for dividends, the same as for ordinary income.

Maybe you missed those parts. Or perhaps you could show us Romney's plan that details these provisions (and Obama's opposition to the same).
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:34 pm

Maybe you missed those parts. Or perhaps you could show us Romney's plan that details these provisions (and Obama's opposition to the same).

Yes I read the entire article. No Romney's budget is not in the NT Times article.

So limiting deductions and tax exemptions, long-term capital gains, overhauling the tax code. That brings up up considerably on the tax side, hopefully enough, and we are close to agreement.

Now lets talk about where spending cuts should be made, and they will have to be enough to first offset Obama's new spending, then get into cutting overall spending.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:58 pm

Sandi wrote:Now lets talk about where spending cuts should be made, and they will have to be enough to first offset Obama's new spending, then get into cutting overall spending.

Whoa! Slow down a bit, Sandi! You were just getting to the part where you tell us about how Obama stole Romney's budget plan and how Obama's budget includes unspecified cuts 10-20 years in the future.

Let's iron those out before we delve into new topics.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:04 pm

As I said twice now, Romney has nothing to do with this thread.

Thank you.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:26 pm

Sandi wrote:
Reduced deductions for incomes over $200,000 and increased taxes on dividend income.

So the 75% of the new taxes will come from Romney's plan that Obama was against.

Sandi, you wrote that at 2:47 pm today. You can't possibly claim Romney has nothing to do with this thread. You brought him up.

So, having brought up Romney's plan, you need to tell us what was in it or where we can see it.

Next, you brought up spending cuts. Why would those be so important, if we were able to raise enough money through taxes? Where would you like the cuts to happen?
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:38 pm

Sandi, not only did you talk about Obama stealing Romney's plan, you've mentioned in two separate threads that Obama's budget deal includes unspecified cuts 10-20 years in the future. That's a pretty specific claim. Do you have a link for it? Do you simply suspect it to be true?

I mean, let us know what you're talking about so we can adequately respond. Does Obama's deficit reduction plan include a lot of unspecified cuts 10-20 years in the future? I don't know. I'm asking.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:38 pm

So sue me. :lol:

Lets close the thread then, I run 3 forum, and mod on a couple extras. Don't have time to waste with people who want to have it their way. This isn't burger king.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:59 pm

Hey, this is serious guys. You'd better do what Sandi says, or he/she/it will stop coming to this forum. That'll show us.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:06 pm

Detritus wrote:Hey, this is serious guys. You'd better do what Sandi says, or he/she/it will stop coming to this forum. That'll show us.

No I will just go back to ( as before ) lurking and laughing as the silliness ( as you just proved ). Which is why I try not to post here often.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:09 pm

And we dont have time for people who present statistics they can't back up. A simple link Sandi.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:15 pm

Sandi wrote: I try not to post here often.
Please try harder.

Thanks.
Bland
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government