MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, August 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 68.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Politics and the CT shooting

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Politics and the CT shooting

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:32 pm

The NRA is a lobbying group for firearms manufacturers. They say that violent video games, not the proliferation of guns, is the cause of the U.S. having so many firearm murders. Yet those very manufacturers use those video games for product placement.

Video Games Are Used by Gun Makers as Marketing Tool
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:16 am

Henry Vilas wrote:The NRA is a lobbying group for firearms manufacturers. They say that violent video games, not the proliferation of guns, is the cause of the U.S. having so many firearm murders. Yet those very manufacturers use those video games for product placement.

Yes, I believe this to be true. I believe the NRA is currently and primarily:
1. A marketing wing of the gun manufacturing industry.
2. A well orchestrated, over decades, fear machine.
3. Rapidly losing relavance.
4. A useful tool of right wing politics in this state and others.

> randomly recurse to 1-4 above.

Feel any better?
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:32 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:The NRA is a lobbying group for firearms manufacturers. They say that violent video games, not the proliferation of guns, is the cause of the U.S. having so many firearm murders. Yet those very manufacturers use those video games for product placement.

Unlike, say, the Sierra Club which gets 25% of its funding from a single natural gas company. In exchange for which their lobbyists bash the bejabbers out of coal.

Or the World Wildlife Fund which gets oodles of cash from Coca-Cola in exchange for promoting Coke's iconic polar bears. (Whose population has increased dramatically over the past 25-30 years, BTW)

Yeah, let's talk about the lobbying efforts of some of these organizations.

So how much money does the NRA get from gun (and releated stuff) manufacturers? Versus how much money it gets from memberships from individuals and non-related corporations?

You could look it up, Henry.

Please enlighten us.

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:37 pm

(Whose population has increased dramatically over the past 25-30 years, BTW)

You sure about that?
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:41 pm

johnfajardohenry wrote:Unlike, say, the Sierra Club which gets 25% of its funding from a single natural gas company. In exchange for which their lobbyists bash the bejabbers out of coal.John Henry

I apologize for distracting you with actual facts, johnnydumbass, but that's no longer the case.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:43 pm

johnfajardohenry wrote:So how much money does the NRA get from gun (and releated stuff) manufacturers? Versus how much money it gets from memberships from individuals and non-related corporations?

You could look it up, Henry.

Please enlighten us.

From the Washington Post: They can pry the NRA's donor list from its cold, dead hands
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:41 pm

fisticuffs wrote:
(Whose population has increased dramatically over the past 25-30 years, BTW)

You sure about that?

I'll bet he's totally confident.
Hey, let's get into a long debate about an entirely different organization that has nothing to do with gun deaths. That would be productive.

Or we could have a serious discussion about the NRA's proposal to have armed guards at all the schools. Sure, we'd have fire all the non-essential staff (like music and art teachers) to pay for it, but think of the children!

Also, we're going to need police protection at all the churches. And police protection for all the firefighters. And all the police officers.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:13 pm

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/ ... utrage/?hp

A newspaper’s interactive map listing the names and addresses of gun permit holders in two New York counties has drawn a gathering avalanche of outrage this week.

This regional paper, through a FOIA filing, obtained the addresses of everybody with a gun permit in several counties of SE New York state and published a clickable map. The list did not include rifle and shotgun owners, who are not required to get a permit.

Quote from the publisher:

“Frequently, the work of journalists is not popular,” she said in a statement. “One of our roles is to report publicly available information on timely issues, even when unpopular. We knew publication of the database (as well as the accompanying article providing context) would be controversial, but we felt sharing information about gun permits in our area was important in the aftermath of the Newtown shootings.”

If you lived there and found your neighbor had guns other than a rifle or shotgun, would you be happy? upset? pleased your property value just went up? displeased because it just went down? or what? If you were shown on the list, would you feel safer? less safe? or what?

Now that we've opened a new can of worms following some guy's arson followed by his ambush and murder of firefighters, I'm thinking at the very least fire departments want this type of information. I've worked in places where we stored solvents, and we were required to report the solvents,, their amount, and location in the building so the fire department could handle calls with appropriate caution. One would think the firefighters need at least that much information about stored ammunition exceeding a minimum (like one box of shells minimum). And if a very large amount of high-powered ammunition was stored at a particular locale, they might want to know the whereabouts of the homeowner or get some other reassurance of safety before approaching to do their job.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:33 pm

snoqueen wrote:If you lived there and found your neighbor had guns other than a rifle or shotgun, would you be happy? upset? pleased your property value just went up? displeased because it just went down? or what? If you were shown on the list, would you feel safer? less safe? or what?

I also have a gun other than rifle or shotgun, so I would not be upset.

The ones who should be upset are those that don't, and are not on the list. All a burglar has to do now is consult the list. If a house is on the list, he can skip it for his safety. If not he can feel more assured of success with less fear of getting shot.

Lets add rifles too, then the burglars can rob us without any fear at all.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:38 pm

The list only shows those who obtained a permit to purchase a firearm from a Connecticut gun dealer. Many others have firearms (both legally and not so legally). For example, I still have the rifle my father bought for me when I was ten, well over fifty years ago. No background checks or permits back then. But again, it was a single fire, bolt action .22.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:42 pm

But again, it was a single fire, bolt action .22.

You'll never be able to defend yourself against the roving bands of polar bears out there with that thing. Better go buy an AR-15.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:59 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:The list only shows those who obtained a permit to purchase a firearm from a Connecticut gun dealer.

And would not any wise burglar checking the list skip those who obtained a permit? Sure there may be firearms in homes not on the list, but by skipping those, he raises the chances of a safe venture.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:03 pm

And would not any wise burglar checking the list skip those who obtained a permit?

I think you're giving burglars too much credit. Doubtful all but a handful are "wise". Most burglaries are done by drug addicts who need more money for more drugs. I don't think too many of them read the paper. but hey lets run with this made-for-TV reality you seem to live in. It's entertaining.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:18 pm

fisticuffs wrote:I think you're giving burglars too much credit. Doubtful all but a handful are "wise". Most burglaries are done by drug addicts who need more money for more drugs. I don't think too many of them read the paper. but hey lets run with this made-for-TV reality you seem to live in. It's entertaining.

Is because all burglars won't consult the map, it is ok to make it available for those that will.

If you were a burglar which would you rather hit?

Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:30 pm

Don't forget to tell the burglars to check the windows for dog snot.

Hey, has anyone ever done a study on how many houses have displayed a "this property protected by Smith and Wesson" sign, and still been burglarized?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government