MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, December 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 19.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Politics and the CT shooting

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Politics and the CT shooting

Postby Igor » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:30 am

rabble wrote:
Igor wrote:
pjbogart wrote: You're telling me that Canadians don't play "Call of Duty" and that's why they have less murders? I've always had a childish fondness for the over-the-top lyrics of The Misfits, but I've yet to chop off any little girls' heads and put them on my wall. Do they not listen to The Misfits outside of the US? I suspect they do.

So, by extrapolation, I assume that you are of the opinion that the Sikh Temple shooter's involvement with racist organizations and music had nothing to do with his shooting?

Wow. Did you limber up before you started that stretch?

Okay, I'll bite. Why is joining racist organizations like listening to the Misfits or playing Call of Duty?

It seems to me like the white power music scene might involve violent lyrics. You really think that his involvement with that music scene had no impact in his crime?
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:39 am

Igor wrote:
pjbogart wrote: You're telling me that Canadians don't play "Call of Duty" and that's why they have less murders? I've always had a childish fondness for the over-the-top lyrics of The Misfits, but I've yet to chop off any little girls' heads and put them on my wall. Do they not listen to The Misfits outside of the US? I suspect they do.

So, by extrapolation, I assume that you are of the opinion that the Sikh Temple shooter's involvement with racist organizations and music had nothing to do with his shooting?

I'm not really following your logic, Igor. I guess I don't see the connection between songs about how I'm sick of eating brains and would really like to eat some guts and songs about how I really, really hate people who aren't white. On the one hand you have a KISS-esque band, except they're zombies and stuff, and on the other hand you have people expressing very real and violent emotions.

I don't know, maybe Glen Danzig really is a zombie, or a vampire. But mostly I just think it's humorous, in the same way I find B-horror films humorous. Plus, I like the power chords.

Maybe my Smiths listening offset my Misfits listening and I became a mass-murdering, brain-eating zombie who really preferred carrots and Rickenbackers and settled somewhere in the middle with beef tenderloins and an SG.

At any rate, 10 years ago you would have been wise to avoid my Counterstrike character, [peanuts]pigpen, but for all the teenagers I blew away with my M4 Carbine, I never actually killed someone with an M4 Carbine. It was a wonderful weapon: accurate sight, easy on the recoil and reasonably short barrel for easy aiming, but it wasn't an actual weapon. It was a collection of pixels that combined nicely with a flashbang and a Desert Eagle.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:50 am

It just seems like either we can bring external media messages into this discussion, or not. I don't think that a mind that is sick enough to commit a crime of this magnitude is going to have a filter that says, "I will ignore the violence contained in the video game 'Nun Raper', but will be influenced by the violent lyrics in 'Kill the Black Family Next Door' ".

No, they aren't going to be inspired to violence by Misfits lyrics, because nobody listens to them anymore. Apparently Glenn Danzig can inspire people to violence though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfD7agP1yxw
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:00 am

Igor wrote:So, by extrapolation, I assume that you are of the opinion that the Sikh Temple shooter's involvement with racist organizations and music had nothing to do with his shooting?

I don't know why you feel compelled to defend an article that Herr Doktor Professor John-Boy found on crazyshitimadeupfortheinternets.com.
But anyway,
the White power music scene is the symptom, not the cause.

There probably isn't a big white power scene in countries that don't have as many racists. Or in countries where major political parties don't cultivate racism.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:35 pm

I don't know if anyone is in them same boat, but I have a fair amount of family members who are lashing out at The President for his remarks in Newtown. I'm biting my tongue for the time being as the family is going to be together for the holidays soon, and I don't want it to turn political as it has in years past -- altough it usually does anyway after enough B&B has been consumed.

Quotes from my favorite Tea-Party family members:
Dear President Obama. This is a memorial service not a political statement. Shame on you.

Look at me..look at me!!!!..ahole

Brother Bob said it all "look at me look at me" there was nothing about the kids that were murdered

My blood is boiling, but I have to let it go for the sake of Grandma around the dining room table.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:02 pm

Endo Rockstar wrote:I don't know if anyone is in them same boat, but I have a fair amount of family members who are lashing out at The President for his remarks in Newtown. I'm biting my tongue for the time being as the family is going to be together for the holidays soon, and I don't want it to turn political as it has in years past

There's no legitimate reason why a family can't discuss politics without alienating each other and making Christmas unbearable. Maybe I come from a calmer family, but we regularly disagreed politically at the dinner table. Don't make it about personal politics, make it about ideas and solutions.

I'm sure someone will point out I just called Rush "bloated sack of shit" but you will note I said nothing about his political beliefs (which to be fair, I doubt he does very often either, which is precisely why I think he is a "bloated sack of shit")
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:52 pm

Endo Rockstar wrote:Quotes from my favorite Tea-Party family members:
Brother Bob said it all "look at me look at me" there was nothing about the kids that were murdered

I've seen similar idiocy on social media. They see what they want to see, hear what they want to hear, don't they?

Guns can make for an interesting discussion with those who don't knee-jerk love or hate them. Same goes for the president. Lots of people having these discussions publicly knee-jerk hate the guy.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:43 pm

Jeff Greenfield: Why we should politicize the Newtown school shooting, starting right now

He argues that other national tragedies hve aroused political change, and for the better, from the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire to the sinking of the Titanic.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:04 pm

jjoyce wrote:Lots of people having these discussions publicly knee-jerk hate the guy.

Do they really? Because, I actually know "lots of people having these discussions" and not only do they not "publicly knee-jerk hate the guy" but they don't hate the guy at all.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:06 pm

Meade wrote:
jjoyce wrote:Lots of people having these discussions publicly knee-jerk hate the guy.

Do they really? Because, I actually know "lots of people having these discussions" and not only do they not "publicly knee-jerk hate the guy" but they don't hate the guy at all.

That might explain why he won the election. Also. Water. Wet.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:17 pm

I didn't realize we were confining the pool to people Meade knows.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:20 pm

We aren't. The pool is as wide as everyone who Jason feels he has second-hand knowledge of.

That would surely include the dozen or so lefties I know who are not at all shy about expressing their clear hatred for Barack W. Obama.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:52 pm

Meade wrote:That would surely include the dozen or so lefties I know...

Sure it would.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:14 pm

rabble wrote:John, you do understand that "violent crimes" is not the same thing as "violent deaths," right?

Of course.

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:17 pm

pjbogart wrote:Jeepers, Johnboy, for a college professor you sure don't demand much sourcing of information. And for a guy who refers to himself as a "Bookworm" it seems that telling us where he gets his statistics wouldn't be much to ask.

So what are you saying PJ, that the chart is wrong and the US actually is in the top 10 for violent crimes?

Or are you just whining again?

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government