MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, October 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 58.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Rev. Louie Giglio and his anti-gay beliefs withdraw

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Rev. Louie Giglio and his anti-gay beliefs withdraw

Postby Endo Rockstar » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:06 pm

Interesting tidbit I came across yesterday while the Wednesday 1/9 Whitehouse press briefing was on in the background. Thinkprogess may have saved the Whitehouse Staff some embarrassment from the inauguration ceremony of the President.

Partial transcript of the briefing (I'm not sure who the reporter was that asked the question, but Jay Carney responds):

Q The website “ThinkProgress” is reporting that Pastor Louie Giglio, who President Obama asked to deliver his inaugural benediction, held vehemently anti-gay views in the 1990s. In a recording attributed to him from that time, Giglio advocated for a wildly discredited ex-gay therapy, references a biblical passage often attributed to require gay people to be executed, and impels Christians to firmly respond to the aggressive agenda and prevent the homosexual lifestyle from becoming adapted in society. Does the White House have a problem with Obama’s inaugural pastor holding those views?

MR. CARNEY: I haven’t seen that report. I would refer you to the Inaugural Committee. I haven’t seen the report.

Q So it’s fair to say that the administration was not aware of these

--
MR. CARNEY: I’m just saying that I haven’t seen the report.

Today it looks as though the good reverend has humbly withdrawn from performing the benediction at the ceremony. Good call rev, President Obama has been pretty cool with the gay folk for a while now, best not to stir the pot.

article from Salon about Giglio bowing out

So lets call it a good day, some poor staffer didn't get fired for bringing Mr. Fire and Brimstone to the party and they can call it a lessened learned on properly vetting religious representatives of the president.

Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Rev. Louie Giglio and his anti-gay beliefs withdraw

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:48 am

Has the good Reverend's position stayed the same since the 1990s or like Obama has he reached a more enlightened view point? I would think an Reverend who has reformed his views on homosexuality would make an excellent choice to give a benediction.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:19 am

Oddly, there seems to be no mention of how he feels about that issue now. I've read several articles on it. One of the authors tried to ask him that and got a "no comment."

From that, I infer he hasn't changed his view. He just wants to be much more quiet about it.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:24 am

Yes, it's very strange. My first reaction was "Hey, those quotes are all from the 1990s, how do you know he hasn't changed his views?"

But this would be a great opportunity to clarify whether he's changed his views, and so far at least he seems to be avoiding taking advantage of that opportunity. All he said about this in his statement is "Clearly, speaking on this issue has not been in the range of my priorities in the past fifteen years." That doesn't clarify anything, really, but I'd tend to take it as evidence that he probably hasn't, er, seen the light on this issue.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:32 am

kurt_w wrote:Yes, it's very strange. My first reaction was "Hey, those quotes are all from the 1990s, how do you know he hasn't changed his views?"

But this would be a great opportunity to clarify whether he's changed his views, and so far at least he seems to be avoiding taking advantage of that opportunity. All he said about this in his statement is "Clearly, speaking on this issue has not been in the range of my priorities in the past fifteen years." That doesn't clarify anything, really, but I'd tend to take it as evidence that he probably hasn't, er, seen the light on this issue.

I was hoping he would clarify his position, but he hasn't yet. The best we get it so far is the quote from the Salon Article:
Clearly, speaking on this issue has not been in the range of my priorities in the past fifteen years. Instead, my aim has been to call people to ultimate significance as we make much of Jesus Christ.

Neither I, nor our team, feel it best serves the core message and goals we are seeking to accomplish to be in a fight on an issue not of our choosing

I could be reading into it too much, but I don't see an apology for his past statements, or a redaction. All he seems to say is, “My position on homosexuality hasn’t changed, but its not very popular right now. The bible hasn’t changed, but I’m not going to fight about during the inauguration.” Hopefully someone will run a story on the Rev today or tomorrow and we can get some clarification.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:34 am

I'm still trying to figure out why a Muslim president would ask a Christian to pray at his inauguration in the first place.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:40 am

Endo Rockstar wrote:Hopefully someone will run a story on the Rev today or tomorrow and we can get some clarification.

Or not. I mean, the guy isn't going to be involved in the inauguration anyway. I'd never heard of him before this, and can probably continue in blissful ignorance now that his 15 minutes of semi-fame are over. To be honest, I really don't care much what this guy's views are.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:44 am

Endo Rockstar wrote:I was hoping he would clarify his position, but he hasn't yet. The best we get it so far is the quote from the Salon Article:
Neither I, nor our team, feel it best serves the core message and goals we are seeking to accomplish to be in a fight on an issue not of our choosing

Except he DID choose that fight and that issue.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:49 am

rabble wrote:
Endo Rockstar wrote:I was hoping he would clarify his position, but he hasn't yet. The best we get it so far is the quote from the Salon Article:

Except he DID choose that fight and that issue.

You mean fourteen years ago? Or this week? I think he means the latter.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:50 am

This Washington Post entry leads me to believe the Giglio's Evangelical church in Atlanta may not be as militant on its stance on homosexuality, but it won't go as far as to accept it -- that's about what I expected.

The Washington Post Blog
Giglio pastors the Passion City Church in Atlanta, where many of his sermons present a traditional view of gender roles and marriage.

From the Reverend's Blog

In all things, the most helpful thing I can do is to invite each of us to wrestle with scripture and its implications for our lives. God’s words trump all opinions, including mine, and in the end, I believe God’s words lead to life.

Meh, the Whitehouse made a good call.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:03 am

kurt_w wrote:
Endo Rockstar wrote:Hopefully someone will run a story on the Rev today or tomorrow and we can get some clarification.

Or not. I mean, the guy isn't going to be involved in the inauguration anyway. I'd never heard of him before this, and can probably continue in blissful ignorance now that his 15 minutes of semi-fame are over. To be honest, I really don't care much what this guy's views are.

That's a good point. But I thought the more interesting part of the story was the White House Press reporter alerting Jay Carney and his staff of Giglio's past. Thinkprogress and this Reporter just scored some political points and saved us from one days worth of bullshit political blog posts.

-Dan Motor
Last edited by Endo Rockstar on Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:20 am

kurt_w wrote:You mean fourteen years ago? Or this week? I think he means the latter.

Sure he does. But what he really means is "I would like to unchoose this fight I chose back when I thought it was a slam dunk and nobody but a buncha wimpy gay guys was going to give me any trouble."
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:29 am

rabble wrote:
kurt_w wrote:You mean fourteen years ago? Or this week? I think he means the latter.

Sure he does. But what he really means is "I would like to unchoose this fight I chose back when I thought it was a slam dunk and nobody but a buncha wimpy gay guys was going to give me any trouble."

Yep, can't argue with that interpretation.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:22 pm

Detritus wrote:I'm still trying to figure out why a Muslim president would ask a Christian to pray at his inauguration in the first place.

The homophobe pick fits nicely with the anti-Semite Republithug, the torture lover, and the Wall St. errand boy.
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:27 pm

Don't forget the vampire, the cloned child of Adolf Hitler, and the Minion of Cthulhu.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to National Politics & Government