MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, October 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 44.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Jan 21 inauguration

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Jan 21 inauguration

Postby Beaver » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:27 pm

I wish I could attend the inauguration, especially the lunch. Wow it looks tasty. I could only eat one course, though. Who could eat all three? Chris Christie must have been invited.

http://www.inaugural.senate.gov/luncheon/menus
2013 Inaugural Luncheon Menu
First Course: Steamed Lobster with New England Clam Chowder Sauce
Lobster Tails
New England Clam Chowder Sauce
Sautéed Spinach
Sweet Potato Hay

Second Course: Hickory Grilled Bison with Red Potato Horseradish Cake and Wild Huckleberry Reduction
Bison
Butternut Squash Purée
Baby Golden Beets and Green Beans
Red Potato Horseradish Cake
Strawberry Preserve and Red Cabbage
Wild Huckleberry Reduction

Third Course: Hudson Valley Apple Pie with Sour Cream Ice Cream, Aged Cheese and Honey
Pie Dough
Cinnamon Crumble
Apples
Sour Cream Ice Cream
Maple Caramel Sauce
Garnish
Artisan Cheeses
Last edited by Beaver on Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2526
Joined: Fri May 04, 2001 9:57 am
Location: Building a dam in the river

Re: Jan 21 inaugaration

Postby Bwis53 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:40 pm

You should be on the email list where they tell you if you donate you win a chance to come to the inauguration.

or you could buy a ticket here: http://inauguraltickets.com/
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6388
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 9:39 pm
Location: Bay Creek

Re: Jan 21 inaugaration

Postby Beaver » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:47 pm

Thanks for the link. It has tickets for sale for the swearing-in, parade, and ball but not the luncheon. A ball ticket costs $1,475 so the lunch is probably $100 or more. I can't afford that plus the trip costs.
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2526
Joined: Fri May 04, 2001 9:57 am
Location: Building a dam in the river

Re: Jan 21 inaugaration

Postby johnfajardohenry » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:53 pm

Beaver wrote:I wish I could attend the inauguration


Which inauguration? The one on the 20th or the one on the 21st?

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1341
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:22 pm

Re: Jan 21 inauguration

Postby kurt_w » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:23 pm

In case anyone is wondering, President Obama will take the oath of office in a private ceremony on Sunday 1/20 (the official date of the start of his second term) and in a public ceremony on Monday 1/21.

This, apparently, is traditional in years when Inauguration Day falls on a Sunday. The last time this occurred was Reagan's second inaugural in 1985.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 5239
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Jan 21 inauguration

Postby pjbogart » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:32 pm

kurt_w wrote:In case anyone is wondering, President Obama will take the oath of office in a private ceremony on Sunday 1/20 (the official date of the start of his second term) and in a public ceremony on Monday 1/21.

This, apparently, is traditional in years when Inauguration Day falls on a Sunday. The last time this occurred was Reagan's second inaugural in 1985.


Well, given that it's apparently of some interest to our resident conspiracy theorist, I suppose the dual inaugurations are cause for some speculation among those who have invested their entire retirement funds in Reynold's Wrap.

Speculating about the speculation may be a thread in an of itself. I'll go first. On the 20th, Obama will take the oath of office on a Koran, which is his right, but a right he doesn't want the rest of us to see him exercise.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6169
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2003 4:57 pm

Re: Jan 21 inauguration

Postby Steve Vokers » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:44 am

pjbogart wrote:
kurt_w wrote:In case anyone is wondering, President Obama will take the oath of office in a private ceremony on Sunday 1/20 (the official date of the start of his second term) and in a public ceremony on Monday 1/21.

This, apparently, is traditional in years when Inauguration Day falls on a Sunday. The last time this occurred was Reagan's second inaugural in 1985.


Well, given that it's apparently of some interest to our resident conspiracy theorist, I suppose the dual inaugurations are cause for some speculation among those who have invested their entire retirement funds in Reynold's Wrap.

Speculating about the speculation may be a thread in an of itself. I'll go first. On the 20th, Obama will take the oath of office on a Koran, which is his right, but a right he doesn't want the rest of us to see him exercise.


And the chief justice of the Kenyan Supreme Court will preside.
Steve Vokers
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1136
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2003 11:58 am

Re: Jan 21 inaugaration

Postby johnfajardohenry » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:05 am

Of course there is the 200 year old Sunday Monday tradition and I was writing tongue in cheek.

You do realize that this will actually make 4 inaugurations for President Obie, don't you?

He had to get sworn in twice in 09 too. Some error in the way that the first one was done.

Not my theory but Adam Curry (www.seanhannity.com) thinks there may be 2 Obamas. The one we see at the public swearings in and a second one who is the real, legally sworn in, president.

Not as kooky as it might appear at first glance, though certainly strange for the US. Other country leaders have and have had doubles who make their public appearances for them. Saddam Hussein is one famous recent example.

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1341
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:22 pm

Re: Jan 21 inaugaration

Postby Bland » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:34 am

johnfajardohenry wrote:Not as kooky as it might appear at first glance
I took a second glance.
And you're right, it's not that kooky. More like completely idiotic.
Bland
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 957
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: Jan 21 inaugaration

Postby kurt_w » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:55 am

It'd be nice if someone (*cough* Beaver! *cough*) would fix the annoying typo in the title of this thread.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 5239
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Jan 21 inauguration

Postby Beaver » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:25 pm

I fixed it. You grammer freeks can be so fussie.
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2526
Joined: Fri May 04, 2001 9:57 am
Location: Building a dam in the river

Re: Jan 21 inauguration

Postby pjbogart » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:19 pm

johnfajardohenry wrote:Not my theory but Adam Curry (http://www.seanhannity.com) thinks there may be 2 Obamas. The one we see at the public swearings in and a second one who is the real, legally sworn in, president.

Not as kooky as it might appear at first glance, though certainly strange for the US. Other country leaders have and have had doubles who make their public appearances for them. Saddam Hussein is one famous recent example.

John Henry


Awesome, John Henry. Thanks for playing. Ok, I'll go again. On the 20th, Obama will take the oath of office, but a clever Alabama preacher will surreptitiously substitute the bible for a copy of Moby Dick, thus relieving Obama of any obligation to protect and defend the Constitution.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6169
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2003 4:57 pm

Re: Jan 21 inauguration

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:11 am

Beaver wrote:I wish I could attend the inauguration, especially the lunch. Wow it looks tasty. I could only eat one course, though. Who could eat all three? Chris Christie must have been invited.

http://www.inaugural.senate.gov/luncheon/menus
2013 Inaugural Luncheon Menu
First Course: Steamed Lobster with New England Clam Chowder Sauce
Lobster Tails
New England Clam Chowder Sauce
Sautéed Spinach
Sweet Potato Hay

Second Course: Hickory Grilled Bison with Red Potato Horseradish Cake and Wild Huckleberry Reduction
Bison
Butternut Squash Purée
Baby Golden Beets and Green Beans
Red Potato Horseradish Cake
Strawberry Preserve and Red Cabbage
Wild Huckleberry Reduction

Third Course: Hudson Valley Apple Pie with Sour Cream Ice Cream, Aged Cheese and Honey
Pie Dough
Cinnamon Crumble
Apples
Sour Cream Ice Cream
Maple Caramel Sauce
Garnish
Artisan Cheeses

In other news, Michelle will be jetting off to the islands with 100 of her closest friends immediately following.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 13349
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 2:48 pm

Re: Jan 21 inauguration

Postby DCB » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:00 pm

The second term of the tyrannical dictator has begun. Unleash the hounds! confiscate all the guns!

Note: Obama has now recited the oath of office four times, so be prepared for at least 12 more years of horror.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2709
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:08 pm

Re: Jan 21 inauguration

Postby rrnate » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:53 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:In other news, Michelle will be jetting off to the islands with 100 of her closest friends immediately following.


Yeah man, I can't believe we fucking voted for her! What a two-face!
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3661
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2002 6:33 pm
Location: Madison's Corporate Underbelly

Next

Return to National Politics & Government

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR
Created with flickr badge.

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar