MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, December 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 34.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Can the Republicans be saved from obsolescence?

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Can the Republicans be saved from obsolescence?

Postby Huckleby » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:21 pm

OK, I'm listening to your linked video. So far it is talking about how bad things are in Florida.

You are not making any effort to follow my arguments, your insults are misplaced. 10 demerits for you.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:26 pm

Huckleby wrote:OK, I'm listening to your linked video. So far it is talking about how bad things are in Florida.

But they also talk specifically about Shelby, AL, which I quoted previously.
Huckleby wrote:
You are not making any effort to follow my arguments
I am, but its a challenge. You're either claiming that
* Alabama isn't racist anymore. This contradicsts the NAACP's claims above. Is this based on your intensive sociological studies of the state?
or
* Alabama isn't as bad as Florida. Even if true, I'm not sure how that's an argument for or against anything.

Huckleby wrote:, your insults are misplaced.

My bad. I assumed you would have followed the link and understood the context before commenting on the quote.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:32 pm

DCB wrote: You're either claiming that
* Alabama isn't racist anymore. This contradicsts the NAACP's claims above. Is this based on your intensive sociological studies of the state?
or
* Alabama isn't as bad as Florida. Even if true, I'm not sure how that's an argument for or against anything.

You don't get the issue that the Supreme Court is considering. They are not looking to overturn the Voting Rights Act. They are questioning section 5, which treats Mississippi differently than Florida and Pennsylvania.
The country has changed massively since 1965. There is more voter suppression in Florida & Pennsylvania than Mississippi today. When you apply a law unequally, you better have strong, overwhelming evidence for doing so. The conservatives have a strong case.

I was listening to David Brooks on News Hour last night. He obviously has been reading my posts, because he made the same argument. Brooks and I are strongly against the voter suppression crap that Republicans are pursuing. I want STRONGER federal action, but it is tricky because the constitution delegates voting largely to the states.

Huckleby wrote: My bad. I assumed you would have followed the link and understood the context before commenting on the quote.

Apology accepted. When you offer a long quote, about half the people will do a quick skim at best. You certainly would be very foolish to assume that most are going to read your long quote, then soldier-on to the link to evaluate context.

Go back and watch your video, your context, it supports the obvious fact that voter suppression is widespread, not confined to the handful of states targeted in Act 5.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:58 pm

Huckleby wrote:I was listening to David Brooks on News Hour last night.

Big mistake. He's a douche.

Huckleby wrote: I want STRONGER federal action, but it is tricky because the constitution delegates voting largely to the states.
And how would overturning Act 5 help in any way?

Huckleby wrote: When you offer a long quote, about half the people will do a quick skim at best. You certainly would be very foolish to assume that most are going to read your long quote, then soldier-on to the link to evaluate context.

Unless you're going to respond, in which case you should try to understand what you're replying to.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:02 pm

DCB wrote: How is overturning Section 5 going to result in stronger federal action?

That's the dilemma. Do the ends justify the means?

I don't want the SC to overturn section 5, but I can how it might happen. Equal Protection is one of the bedrocks of our notion of justice.

It is an F-up situation. The problem, really, is in our constitution. The founders gave too much power to states, in my view, in controlling the elections. (Of course the SC had no compunction about trumping the Florida SC in Bush v. Gore.)

I'm an optimist, I see things constantly evolving towards a more just society. It is hard to see sometimes because things improve slowly, with setbacks.

There is a backlash to the shenanigans of 2012 in FL, PA, WI, FL. See how Walker backed-off on his plan to end same-day registration. If the Republicans in PA try to jigger the electoral college, they will get their comeuppance.

I would like to see some rich philanthropist bankroll a system of blue busses in Texas that drive people to the DMV. (only 80 of 240 counties in Texas have a DMV office.) We need a modern voter rights movement at grassroots in south. Things are moving. Obamacare is HUGE HUGE HUGE in showing poor people there is hope, and purpose in voting.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to National Politics & Government