MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, October 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 50.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Can the Republicans be saved from obsolescence?

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Can the Republicans be saved from obsolescence?

Postby wack wack » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:00 am

If it weren't for the occasional arrival of new conservative posters, we might think the Republicans were actually evolving on some issues.

Thanks for knocking that silly thought out of our heads, Leroy.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:32 am

To answer the original question of the thread, the Republicans have no need to worry about obsolescence. All you have to do is look at the states. They control most of the governorships AND the legislatures. They can and do gerrymander districts to perpetuate legislative and congressional majorities. I would propose, as a resident of Wisconsin, a state under Republican rule, that what goes on at that level of government often has more to do with our day-to-day lives than anything our divided federal government does.

So, while they have some serious issues in attempting to take over the presidency and Senate, they will be in a position to cause some serious damage for years to come. They've got the House locked up until at least after the 2020 census.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:24 am

To answer the original question of the thread, they're already there:

Now just 22% of Americans, nearly a record low, consider themselves Republicans.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/poli ... r/1934233/

The article runs down a whole range of poll numbers outlining just how completely out of touch the GOP is.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bleurose » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:53 am

Like gargantua, I too, am concerned about the blatant gerrymandering by the Repubs which allows them to retain majorities in state houses and in the House of Reps. It is telling that in nearly every state, votes for Democrats outpaced those for Repubs, and yet because of the ridiculous lines drawn by the Repubs, they continue to hold the majority of seats in state houses.

I have a cautious glimmer of hope though that after this last presidential election, the Republican strategy & persona has finally been unmasked and the voters are recognizing what they really plan to do. Which is to keep that wealth flowing ever upward to their "private business" cronies and themselves. Their only motivating factor is profit and if they can increase that by throwing their fellow citizens under the bus, then fine. After all, if you are poor/can't afford college/sick/disabled/pick your trait, then you don't deserve any help from the government because obviously this is all your fault and you need to "take personal responsibility". Never mind that politicians like Paul Ryan & Mitt Romney have never had to take responsibility for themselves their whole lives - they've been comfortably supported by the government their whole lives (Ryan) or inherited a pile of money and never had to work for a living (Romney).
bleurose
Forum Addict

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:33 am

Not as long as they keep doing moronic shit.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:12 am

quoting an op-ed on the "Hagel Mess"
The battle isn't over, and some Republicans are also making noise about holding up the nominations of Jack Lew for treasury secretary and John Brennan for CIA director. The Hagel situation suggests that, even though they may not succeed, there's not a whole lot of downside to trying.

Charles Pierce comments:
I don't know about the "downside" on the political scoreboard in his head, but the country sort of needs to have Secretaries of Defense and Treasury. The country may even need a CIA director. (I am admittedly a little less sure of that.) The country needs the Senate not to get bogged down in childish stupidity and foolish conspiracy-mongering. The country needs the Senate to work and, while I agree that the only way for the country to get what it wants is for the people in the country to vote these omadhauns out of office, while they're still there, they really ought to stop taking their personal neuroses out for a walk and govern the damn country. Being A Dickhead is not a policy solution.
- See more at: http://www.esquire.com/blogs/politics/C ... vRWXI.dpuf
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:41 pm

Abusive Relationships : Who Doesn't Like 'Em?!?!
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:23 pm

gargantua wrote:To answer the original question of the thread, the Republicans have no need to worry about obsolescence. All you have to do is look at the states. They control most of the governorships AND the legislatures. They can and do gerrymander districts to perpetuate legislative and congressional majorities.

Yes, the rumors of the death of the Republican Party are greatly exaggerated. To begin with, half the country leans conservative.

The Republicans have some natural advantages. Gerrymandering works especially well for them because Democrats tend to be clustered in urban areas. It is necessary to turn redistricting over to non-partisian commissions to restore democracy, and democrats have not championed this sensible reform in the past.

I've been listening to some discussions about the portion of the Voting Rights Act that the Supreme Court is considering. Conservatives have a pretty good case, it's hard to see how those particular states are singled out.

Truth be told, the Republicans are using more nuanced methods of voter suppression now. From my reading, the Voting Rights Act doesn't do the job.

I fear that the Obama administration is making some dumb cave-ins. They should be careful in granting waivers to states on Medicaid expansion. The Republican states want to water-down the help for poor and low income. Better to keep the political pressure on them.

Similarily, the immigration compromise is starting to look like the Republican Party Preservation Act. They are allowing Republicans to block hispanic voting for 10 or 20 years with harsh conditions. Why agree to this? If the Republicans are against a path to citizenship, then take it out of the bill entirely. We can argue the citizenship issue later on its own merits. Say, in 2016.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:40 pm

You know they're in trouble when they start thinking they ought to dismantle the voting rights act.

There's just too much democratic votin goin on. That's racial entitlement and we ain't gonna stand for it.

These guys aren't going down without a fight. This will all blow over in a few years. All we have to do is gerrymander a little bit more, disenfranchise a few more, and we can ride it out.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:54 am

Who knows, maybe the greedy apes with the electronic gadgets and styrofoam, will make a huge unexpected evolutionary leap due to their ingestion of environmental toxins, GMO foodstuffs and steriod infused meats.
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:06 pm

The reason I give the right some credibility on their fight against section 5 of the voting rights act is that I believe laws should be enforced uniformly, with equal protection wherever possible.

Alabama has a very high voter participation rate of minorities. As far as I see, the shenanigans in Florida are far worse than in Alabama. Worse in Ohio and Pennsylvania as well. So how can you justify treating Alabama differently, in a stigmatizing way, under the law today?

Truth be told, I wish for an expansion of the Voting Rights Act. I want more federal over-site in all 50 states.

I'm skeptical that the courts are going to do the job of guaranteeing voting rights. I know the courts were important in 2012, but I see the conservatives winning most battles for the longer term. It's just too easy to devise creative ways to limit voting.

I think the fight against voter suppression is going to be won mostly from organizing at local level:
http://www.battlegroundtexas.com/content/home
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:44 pm

Huckleby wrote: So how can you justify treating Alabama differently, in a stigmatizing way, under the law today?

I'll let Mr. Jealous fill you in:
In Shelby County, it’s important that you know your history. As you said, they say, "Oh, well, this was a historical problem." Actually, the state of Alabama’s resistance to democracy has continued every decade, through the ’70s, the ’80s, the ’90s to today. For decades into the ’80s, they resisted actually having districts that would let blacks be voted into local office in places across the state. They were forced, through a series of lawsuits, to ultimately open up their democracy to full participation. They then changed the boundaries of a number of cities through these annexations, 200 places, throughout the state and redistricted on that basis.

http://www.democracynow.org/2013/2/15/n ... _needed_to

So, its not like the white establishment has stopped trying to reduce participation. As long we the VRA, those efforts can challenged.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:56 pm

DCB wrote:So, its not like the white establishment has stopped trying to reduce participation. As long we the VRA, those efforts can challenged.

What Mr. Jealosy described there sounds mostly like sleazy redistricting, which is going-on all around the country. And I doubt it is racially motivated per se.

Again, is there any data or rational argument that suggests Alabama is worse than Florida?

Look, I too am on the side of truth, justice and the American way. And I'm a pragmatist. So I'm happy whenever voting rights are are protected. Yet it bothers my sense of fairness that section 5 of the voting rights act is antiquated, and I can't blame the people in the old south for feeling unjustly singled-out.

Ideally, congress would pass a NEW voting rights act that took control of redistricting away from political parties across the country, mandated early voting, and required states to proactively work to see that 99% of the population has ID. But the forces of darkness are too strong for such sensible legislation to pass. And perhaps it would be unconstitutional.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:38 pm

Huckleby wrote:
DCB wrote:So, its not like the white establishment has stopped trying to reduce participation. As long we the VRA, those efforts can challenged.

What Mr. Jealosy described there sounds mostly like sleazy redistricting, which is going-on all around the country. And I doubt it is racially motivated per se.

Again, is there any data or rational argument that suggests Alabama is worse than Florida?

Really, why should we take the word of the head of the NAACP? I'm sure he's making it up.
Your childish misspelling of his name is duly noted.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:16 pm

I thought "Mr. Jealous" referred to a poster name, I did not intentionally change his name to "Jealousy", just a mistake. I haven't visited the link you gave. The quote you offered does not seem to address the issue of whether conditions in Alabama are worse than, say, Florida or Pennsylvania. I will read a little of the linked article.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government