MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, July 10, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 75.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Waz up with Woodward?

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Waz up with Woodward?

Postby wack wack » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:09 am

DCB wrote:Another characteristic of sociopaths is that they lie with such ease.

Here is Boehner arguing with Boehner about whether or not the sequester will be a bad thing.

This seems the current GOP talking point: its such a tiny amount, its insignificant, and the disaster is all Obama's fault.

I don't think it's right to refer to stupid people "sociopaths," and after his Meet the Press appearance it's clear that Boehner is nothing more than really stupid. How does someone so completely incapable get to such a position of power?
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:45 am

I get the feeling he's confused, in a strange way. He's given up on trying to make his words say anything about the real world, but he's still getting stuck trying to make one string of words stay consistent with the next string.

I'm not making fun of him when I say this -- it's what I see on his strange poker face. It can't be easy, and if you could see all the way to the inside, I think you'd find he was as baffled and dismayed with the teaps as anyone else.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:51 pm

Going on the Sunday talk shows is probably a hell of a lot harder than it seems. Imagine yourself getting prepped for an appearance by political advisors.

"Ok, so make sure you that you refer to the sequestration as 'Obama's job-killing sequester'. We have to make sure that we pin this on the President and impress upon people that it will cost jobs, because jobs still polls high for issues Americans are concerned about. If you get asked any questions about Medicare reform, dodge that and make a point about runaway government spending. Medicare reform polls poorly, but spending and deficits poll well. If they press you on Medicare reform, just say that you haven't seen the specific proposals so you don't feel comfortable commenting on them."

Ok, so that probably goes on for about an hour and when you get on the show, you've basically got a script you're following. Any questions you don't like need to be converted into unrelated talking points. Ultimately you end up looking like a clueless buffoon, but we're so used to it that it all seems perfectly normal.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:21 pm

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2 ... -icon.html

Worth reading.He is not what he used to be, but that is one journalist take.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:48 pm

This revisit of Woodward's bio of Belushi is fascinating. So fascinating that I might speculate about how Woody might have helped shape public support for "our" drug wars that were taking off circa 1983. Pretty sad if true.

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/cult ... ingle.html

If I am reading all this right, "big brother" has been here and remains very busy with other tasks.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Tue May 14, 2013 9:52 pm

B-man steps onto the scene...
http://www.politico.com/story/2013/05/c ... 91316.html

I think this "outrage" it well placed.
Although, as much as Mr. Holder's actions as AG stick in my craw - I think that this story falls short of being fully told.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:23 pm

Hmmm, others are asking "Waz up with Woodward":
http://dish.andrewsullivan.com/2013/06/ ... -woodward/

Again, I think his motivations are propagandish.
Surely my, surly, suspicions are naive.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:44 pm

I was listening to Ashbrook's On Point the other day and I heard this reporter from Politico state something about Obama/the sequester/as Woodward wrote; and I thought it odd. But a quick internet search took me right to the RW echo chamber:
Politico reported that, "President Barack Obama and his Democratic allies are eager to tag the GOP as the root cause of Washington dysfunction." Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee Executive Director Kelly Ward told the publication that Democrats are planning to highlight “the inability of Republicans to actually govern" and make that into a central "narrative" going into the 2014 midterm elections.
Even though the sequester idea originated in the White House, as Bob Woodward documented, Obama and Democrats tried to blame Republicans for the calamity that it would cause. Those tactics largely backfired, as a majority of Americans favored the across-the-board budget cuts.
Yet House Republicans and their advisers still remain fearful of Democrats and their tactics that have just recently failed, believing that a government shutdown over de-funding Obamacare or budget cuts would lose Republicans the House.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government ... t-Shutdown

So I took a look at On Point's line up that day:
Guests

Ginger Gibson, congressional Reporter for POLITICO. (@GingerGibson)

Rep. Tom Cole, Republican Congressman for Oklahoma’s 4th congressional district (since 2003), member of the Committee of Appropriations and the Committee on the Budget, Deputy Majority Whip, chairman of the National Republican Congressional Committee (NRCC) from 2006 to 2008. (@tomcoleok04)

Romina Boccia, fellow in Federal Budgetary Affairs at the Heritage Foundation. (@RominaBoccia)

Rep. Nita Lowey, Democratic Congresswoman for New York’s 17th congressional district (since 1988), ranking democratic member of the Committee of Appropriations, chair of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee in 2001-2002. (@NitaLowey)

http://onpoint.wbur.org/2013/07/30/gop-middle-class

I still think something smells about this narrative attempt.
I also believe, no matter which way you lean,
It is going to take a lot of time and effort to sort out.
If at all.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby manoletters » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:34 pm

Bob Woodward, while a pretty talented writer, has been too closely associated with US Naval Intelligence for too many decades.
http://www.ctka.net/pr196-woodward.html
manoletters
Forum Addict

Postby Mad Howler » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:52 pm

manoletters wrote:Bob Woodward, while a pretty talented writer, has been too closely associated with US Naval Intelligence for too many decades.
http://www.ctka.net/pr196-woodward.html

Wow.
It is important to connect dots.
'Tis interesting that the halls of congress have been flooded with millitary uniforms over the last decade.
Now, we have that and very powerful 'subcontractors' angling for the people's coin.
Is it "quaint" to expect governance that serves the interests of everyone?
Maybe, but I hope not.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:15 pm

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:16 pm

Good catch, I saw that earlier today but ya beat me to it.
Those 'smart asses' at The Onion are very funny and quick.

Can anyone tell me what the bold/ital/underline below is about? Link works fine without. Is the consumption out of tumblr just convenience or does it mainly serve a "SocialMarteting"/metacollection purpose?

"www.theonion.com/articles/bob-woodward-gets-new-job,33387/?utm_source=Tumblr&utm_medium=SocialMarketing&utm_campaign=Default:1:Default]Bob Woodward Gets New Job"
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:12 pm

Mad Howler wrote:

Good catch, I saw that earlier today but ya beat me to it.
Those 'smart asses' at The Onion are very funny and quick.

Can anyone tell me what the bold/ital/underline below is about? Link works fine without. Is the consumption out of tumblr just convenience or does it mainly serve a "SocialMarteting"/metacollection purpose?

"www.theonion.com/articles/bob-woodward-gets-new-job,33387/?utm_source=Tumblr&utm_medium=SocialMarketing&utm_campaign=Default:1:Default]Bob Woodward Gets New Job"
It's just ad-tracking schmutz. Lop it off like a foreskin.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to National Politics & Government