MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, September 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 51.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Tenth anniversary of the Iraq War

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Tenth anniversary of the Iraq War

Postby O.J. » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:14 am

Ned Flanders wrote:I apologize for disrupting this thread, folks, but I've been going through a bit of a rough time. I recently caught my wife in bed with Keith Ellison, and you all know how I feel about Muslims. To make matter worse, my strict religious beliefs preclude me from divorcing the adulterous wench. Now I have to deal with that dirty shoe bomber coming over to my house every day to pleasure the wife. My kids have started calling him Uncle Keith. I feel as lost and hopeless as Ted Kennedy during Prohibition. I can no longer perform my husbandly duties, as I now have Keith's member floating through my head, along with Klinton's penis. Have you ever tried to pleasure a woman with multiple penises running through your head? Yeah, I didn't think so. Sweet Baby Jesus, the holidays are going to be really awkward. I think I'll be forced to lock myself in the basement and play Caddyshack on a continuous loop. At least Judge Smails won't betray me.

Fixd.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:19 am

kurt_w wrote:But we don't live in the world of 1939. It's a different world, and we need new ideas.

This.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:13 am

O.J. wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:I apologize for disrupting this thread, folks, but I've been going through a bit of a rough time. I recently caught my wife in bed with Keith Ellison, and you all know how I feel about Muslims. To make matter worse, my strict religious beliefs preclude me from divorcing the adulterous wench. Now I have to deal with that dirty shoe bomber coming over to my house every day to pleasure the wife. My kids have started calling him Uncle Keith. I feel as lost and hopeless as Ted Kennedy during Prohibition. I can no longer perform my husbandly duties, as I now have Keith's member floating through my head, along with Klinton's penis. Have you ever tried to pleasure a woman with multiple penises running through your head? Yeah, I didn't think so. Sweet Baby Jesus, the holidays are going to be really awkward. I think I'll be forced to lock myself in the basement and play Caddyshack on a continuous loop. At least Judge Smails won't betray me.

Fixd.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:16 pm

Another lesson: Just because all the insiders are very, very confident, you don't have to believe them:
Bob Woodward, asked by Larry King on CNN what happens if we go to war and don’t find any WMD, answered: “I think the chance of that happening is about zero. There’s just too much there.”

http://gregmitchellwriter.blogspot.com/ ... q-wmd.html
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:32 am

Cost of the war in Iraq (not Afghanistan, just Iraq) is $1.7 trillion so far, plus an additional $0.5 trillion in benefits owed to veterans. But that's only the beginning. It will grow to $6 trillion over coming decades due to interest and delayed costs:

Iraq war costs U.S. more than $2 trillion: study

And then there's this:

The war has killed at least 134,000 Iraqi civilians and may have contributed to the deaths of as many as four times that number [...] When security forces, insurgents, journalists and humanitarian workers were included, the war's death toll rose to an estimated 176,000 to 189,000, the study said.

What a pointless waste.

Even if you ignored the fact that he took a country with a fundamentally strong economy and a budget surplus, and led it into record deficits and the worst economic downturn in a couple of generations ... even if you ignored that fact, the stupid decision to go to war on false pretenses would make George W. Bush one of the worst presidents in US history.

Not up there with Buchanan or Nixon, perhaps. But he's up there.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:23 pm

I could go on and on about how horrible this was. And I probably will.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFpaHMqz0nM

The dirt fucking hippies were right, again.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:09 pm

This dying vet recently wrote a powerful open letter to Bush and Cheney, condeming them for that unnecessary war.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:20 pm

Price of authorizing military action against Saddam: $6 trillion.
Death toll: 176,000 to 189,000.

Price of not removing Saddam: $11 quadrillion.
Death toll: 5 - 55 million
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:28 pm

So Iraq was a failure so lets make up some numbers to prove it wasn't.

Here's one. Price of not electing George Bush: 5 trillion dollar surplus right now. See how that works.

When it's unprovable speculation, it must be correct, right? Oh, and Nazi.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:33 pm

Price of not removing Saddam: $11 quadrillion.
Death toll: 5 - 55 million

I assume you picked those numbers out of your ass.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:41 pm

Donald Rumsfeld wrote:best info fast. Judge whether good enough hit S.H. [Saddam Hussein] at same time. Not only UBL [Osama bin Laden].… Need to move swiftly.… Go massive. Sweep it all up. Things related and not.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/03/2 ... hat-lesson
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:17 pm

Hen V: when you assume, you make an ass of you and Stebben.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:53 pm

OK then, back it up. Cite a believable source for you numbers.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:01 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:OK then, back it up. Cite a believable source for you numbers.

He's fishing Henry. I nibbled on the bait and should have known better. Save yourself some trouble and don't go back for more. Moderate Meade is a Master fisherman.

Almost forgot, NAZI
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:39 am

I admit, this article is a little bit tooting of one's own horn, but I think it is deserved, and it would be foolish not to study where policy and rhetoric got it wrong, as well as when accurate. The writer makes further good points, like the last paragraph:

Doves are held up to ridicule, their patriotism disparaged, their allegiances questioned, their aesthetics mocked, and their position attacked from every rationally irrelevant angle imaginable. Humans do it again and again, even though it always seems discrediting in hindsight. Says deBoer, "I think people don't want to admit that hatred of the left-wing was part of their problem in 2002 and 2003 because they still hate the left, and recognizing the irrationality of their earlier hatred would compel them to think over their current hatred." He is right.

What about the hatred of the left-wing in general, and President Obama in specific, in 2013?
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government