MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, September 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 53.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Rand Paul filibuster at 8.5 hours and still going

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Rand Paul filibuster at 8.5 hours and still going

Postby pjbogart » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:25 am

Nice link, Stebben. Check out the comment section. It's a real hoot. I've always wondered what kind of dolt reads the Washington Times.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:47 pm

wack wack wrote:
Crockett wrote:I had hoped the Democrats would fight, but alas, I was wrong.

No fight was needed as it wasn't a real issue; your civil rights have never been under threat in any way related to drones. The very idea that the US might assassinate it's own non-combative citizens at home is nothing but disconnected-from-reality right-wing conjecture.

Ya, wow, just looked at today's headlines. Things are looking good, no problems here! Oh, and I see the human genome has alot of monkey, sheep, and cow code.
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:51 pm

Stebben84 wrote:Drones are ok when you're afraid of the scary Mexicans.
If you read what was actually discussed during the filibuster, drones are only an example of the sort of targeted kill that Paul and others were talking about. The issue is the abrogation of due process at the whim of the executive. It doesn't matter whether the result of that whim is a drone attack, a sniper's bullet, or something else bad. It should be easy to stand up for capturing criminals and trying them in court, not summarily executing them based solely on the approval of the President, without consulting a judge, obtaining a warrant, or demonstrating that capture would be impossible or too slow to prevent harm to others.

wack wack - it's not about whether the threat of assassination is realistic today, but whether it might be realistic at any time in the future. We might trust these powers with the current executive, but it's awfully hard to strip them away once they are formalized, and we can't predict who the next executives are going to be. Would you trust Dick Cheney with these powers? What about Rand Paul? John McCain?
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:01 pm

Rachel Maddow is getting pwned on reddit in her AMA over her disingenuous and cursory coverage of the Paul filibuster.

Other important issues are left unaddressed (e.g. MSNBC's paucity of Bradley Manning coverage), but maybe Maddow didn't have time to address all questions.
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:58 pm

Stella_Guru wrote:
wack wack wrote:
Crockett wrote:I had hoped the Democrats would fight, but alas, I was wrong.

No fight was needed as it wasn't a real issue; your civil rights have never been under threat in any way related to drones. The very idea that the US might assassinate it's own non-combative citizens at home is nothing but disconnected-from-reality right-wing conjecture.

Ya, wow, just looked at today's headlines. Things are looking good, no problems here! Oh, and I see the human genome has alot of monkey, sheep, and cow code.

I suppose I should've clarified that I was referring only to "death" drones. As a friend of "home growers" and a lead-footed driver, I'm well aware of civil rights concerns regarding drones and other electronic monitoring.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:13 pm

wack wack wrote:As a friend of "home growers" and a lead-footed driver, I'm well aware of civil rights concerns regarding drones and other electronic monitoring.

You might have reason to worry: Why a drone can hover over your home, and you can’t stop it
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:52 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
wack wack wrote:As a friend of "home growers" and a lead-footed driver, I'm well aware of civil rights concerns regarding drones and other electronic monitoring.

You might have reason to worry: Why a drone can hover over your home, and you can’t stop it

It's all coming together. This^ is why we need assault rifles. We'll need to shoot down the drones above our house.

And for your watching pleasure.

drone acrobats
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:20 pm

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:58 pm

ArturoBandini wrote:
wack wack - it's not about whether the threat of assassination is realistic today, but whether it might be realistic at any time in the future. We might trust these powers with the current executive, but it's awfully hard to strip them away once they are formalized, and we can't predict who the next executives are going to be. Would you trust Dick Cheney with these powers? What about Rand Paul? John McCain?

I have to agree with the crazy libertarians on this.

Is it unrealistic for the President to order the assassination of US citizen with no judicial oversight? I'd feel a whole lot better if the President said it was illegal, and put it in writing.

With respect to the drones (overseas)
While President Obama pledged in his State of the Union address to be more transparent about drone policy, the administration appears to maneuvering to avoid sharing additional information with Congress.

http://www.propublica.org/article/drone ... hing-about
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:18 pm

DCB wrote:Is it unrealistic for the President to order the assassination of US citizen with no judicial oversight?

Yes.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:03 pm

wack wack wrote:
DCB wrote:Is it unrealistic for the President to order the assassination of US citizen with no judicial oversight?

Yes.

Then why did he go out of his way to let everyone know he could still do it anyway?
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:33 pm

DCB wrote:
wack wack wrote:

Yes.

Then why did he go out of his way to let everyone know he could still do it anyway?

Ha. It's a damn good thing there is this illusion of broken government.
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby manoletters » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:04 am

pjbogart wrote:
manoletters wrote:Pretty soon, the way things are headed, these unmanned vehicles/weapons will be hovering above your house, and mine. Oh wait, they probably are already.

Well, I guess you better fill up your spare bedroom with AR-15s and
surface to air missiles. Big brother is coming for you.

Well, Pjbogart, I guess one cannot express the same kind of concerns about the explosion (no pun intended) in drone technology and widespread use expressed by "Scientific American," without folks like you resorting to absurd and baseless innuendo. Even though I said at the outset that I'm no fan of Rand Paul's. Get a clue, why don't you?
http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/gue ... -near-you/
manoletters
Forum Addict

Postby manoletters » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:28 pm

I'll reiterate: I agree with just about all of the negative comments made here about Rand Paul, and deplore 99% of his domestic positions. I But I'm glad he at least brought up the drone issue; except for Ron Wyden of Oregon, I've seen few if any Dem senators who've raised any noteworthy objections to Barack Obama's drone policy, which is way out of control. Fortunately, some important "progressive," and "Democratic" figures have voiced their misgivings: http://www.ringoffireradio.com/2013/02/ ... nal-video/

And Amy Goodman had this to say in The Guardian: http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... executions
manoletters
Forum Addict

Postby wack wack » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:48 am

DCB wrote:
wack wack wrote:

Yes.

Oh puh-LEEZE.

It doesn't matter how illogical, unfounded or completely stupid a question is, if left unanswered it will only fuel the speculation and furtherance of illogical, unfounded, stupid allegations.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government