MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, December 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 26.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Rand Paul filibuster at 8.5 hours and still going

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Rand Paul filibuster at 8.5 hours and still going

Postby DCB » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:51 am

wack wack wrote:It doesn't matter how illogical, unfounded or completely stupid a question is, if left unanswered it will only fuel the speculation and furtherance of illogical, unfounded, stupid allegations.

Ten years I thought I would have said the same thing about the question "does the United States torture its enemies and violate the Geneva Convention?".

I don't think its unfounded to ask: What are the limits on executive power? Unfortunately both Democrats and Republicans (with rare exceptions) are unwilling to ask that question.

This creates a dangerous precedent:
“Due process and judicial process are not one and the same, particularly when it comes to national security,” Holder said. “The Constitution guarantees due process, not judicial process.”

The Justice Department’s Office of Legal Counsel (OLC) has so far refused to release a copy of a legal memorandum justifying the targeted killing of the U.S. born Anwar al-Awlaki, who allegedly inspired several attacks or attempted attacks on the U.S.

http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.c ... rocess.php

This is probably not in my Top Ten Threats to Civilization, so I'm not going to say much more. But I think its naive to dismiss the danger out of hand.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:45 am

The first thing about due process is that it's defined ahead of time so all parties can determine whether or not it's being followed. If you don't (or can't) know what the due process IS, that's a problem.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:51 pm

"Al Quaeda terrorists still plot to inflict catastrophic harm on America and Obama is worried that someone won't read them their rights." Sarah Palin, 2008, RNC convention.
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to National Politics & Government