MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, October 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 39.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Paul Ryan's (Freudian?) slip

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Paul Ryan's (Freudian?) slip

Postby Sandi » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:29 pm

If you lived in the real world you would realize what a huge boondoggle Obamacare really is. It will raise the cost of insurance for millions.

Associated Press wrote:The nation’s big health insurers say they expect premiums — or the cost for insurance coverage — to rise from 20 to 100 percent for millions of people due to changes that will occur when key provisions of the Affordable Care Act roll out in January 2014.

....

In many states, insurers charge a 60-year-old customer $5 in premiums for every $1 they collect from a 24-year-old. The logic behind that is that older people use health care more and generate more expensive claims than younger customers, so insurers need to collect more to help pay their bills.

But the overhaul will narrow that ratio to 3-to-1. That alone could cause the premium for a 24-year-old who pays $1,200 annually to jump to $1,800, according to AHIP. Meanwhile, the 60-year-old who currently pays $6,000 will see a 10 percent drop in price.

Gender also can be a factor in whether premiums go up or down. The law will prohibit insurers from setting different rates based on gender — something they currently do because women generally use more health care. That means premiums for some men could rise, while they fall for women.

Prices also may change depending on a person’s current coverage. Many policies on the individual market (coverage not sold through employers) exclude maternity coverage, but that will be considered an essential health benefit under the overhaul. That could mean higher prices for some.

Vikki Swanson, 49, of Newport Beach, Calif., resents that the added benefit may lead to higher costs for her. “I had a hysterectomy, I have no need for maternity coverage, but I have to now pay for it,” she said. …

“I have to pay not only my own premium but I have to subsidize everybody else,” she said.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1615
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:31 pm

Re: Paul Ryan's (Freudian?) slip

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:38 pm

“I have to pay not only my own premium but I have to subsidize everybody else,” she said.

That's exactly the situation today, prior to the total enactment of health care reform, as those who already have insurance end up paying for those without, who must depend on (expensive) emergency room care.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 19993
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all

Re: Paul Ryan's (Freudian?) slip

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:49 pm

Sandi wrote:If you lived in the real world you would realize what a huge boondoggle Obamacare really is.


So the insurers, who are gouging us now, are telling us it's gonna get worse. What trustworthy folks.

Henry Vilas wrote:That's exactly the situation today, prior to the total enactment of health care reform, as those who already have insurance end up paying for those without, who must depend on (expensive) emergency room care.


And it's not only the emergency room. I know an Oncologist and asked if they turn patients away without insurance. A lot of the times they don't and that cost gets passed on to, you guessed it, other folks paying insurance.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 4933
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:59 pm

Re: Paul Ryan's (Freudian?) slip

Postby Sandi » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:51 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
“I have to pay not only my own premium but I have to subsidize everybody else,” she said.

That's exactly the situation today, prior to the total enactment of health care reform, as those who already have insurance end up paying for those without, who must depend on (expensive) emergency room care.


Exactly correct. So now we will subsidize even more and pay even higher rates.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1615
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:31 pm

Re: Paul Ryan's (Freudian?) slip

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:55 pm

I wonder if Sandi even read the article she linked to.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 7826
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:49 pm
Location: Slightly outside of Madison

Re: Paul Ryan's (Freudian?) slip

Postby wack wack » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:58 pm

Sandi wrote:If you lived in the real world...


Truly absurd.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3157
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2003 5:32 pm

Re: Paul Ryan's (Freudian?) slip

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:01 pm

Sandi wrote:Exactly correct. So now we will subsidize even more and pay even higher rates.


Except now, people will be able to get preventative care possibly avoiding more long term health problems. This could actually save money, but the insurance companies don't need you to know this. The sicker you are, the more money they make.

Or we could just drown the poor. The fucking lazy slacker poor.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 4933
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:59 pm

Re: Paul Ryan's (Freudian?) slip

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:12 pm

Sandi is right. Rates never went up before Obamacare.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 7826
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:49 pm
Location: Slightly outside of Madison

Re: Paul Ryan's (Freudian?) slip

Postby Sandi » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:54 pm

fisticuffs wrote:Sandi is right. Rates never went up before Obamacare.


Never said that, so don't put lying words in my mouth. They will go up even more: and you know that is what I am saying. You act like because they have gone up in the past, that huge increases now is just fine. Or maybe you say that to take heat off your savior Obama.

I used to sell insurance but quit because I couldn't lie to my friends and live with myself. So I know what a scheme insurance is.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1615
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:31 pm

Re: Paul Ryan's (Freudian?) slip

Postby Endo Rockstar » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:59 pm

Sandi wrote:
I used to sell insurance but quit because I couldn't lie to my friends and live with myself. So I know what a scheme insurance is.


You, my dearest, are lying.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1260
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2002 11:16 pm
Location: Madison

Re: Paul Ryan's (Freudian?) slip

Postby Sandi » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:11 pm

Endo Rockstar wrote:
Sandi wrote:
I used to sell insurance but quit because I couldn't lie to my friends and live with myself. So I know what a scheme insurance is.


You, my dearest, are lying.

-Dan Motor


No your taking a wild guess without a clue, and few brains cells to process it if you did. Keep up the insults and I will play the game your way, but it would be nicer to have an adult discussion.

Actually I sold for Mutual of New York ( MONY ) back in the 1960s. However do admit that I sold mostly life.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1615
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:31 pm

Re: Paul Ryan's (Freudian?) slip

Postby rabble » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:15 pm

Endo Rockstar wrote:
Sandi wrote:
I used to sell insurance but quit because I couldn't lie to my friends and live with myself. So I know what a scheme insurance is.


You, my dearest, are lying.

-Dan Motor

Well, she's right about it being a scheme. (I prefer the word "scam" and I think that's what she really meant but that's neither here nor there.)

Anyway, insurance salespeople have to be good liars without much of a conscience because it's all set up to deny coverage. That's why we should never have tried to change it.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6295
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Re: Paul Ryan's (Freudian?) slip

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:28 pm

Sandi wrote:I used to sell insurance but quit because I couldn't lie to my friends and live with myself. So I know what a scheme insurance is.


So you're going to trust what they have to say in that article about rates raising because of ACA and NOT because they are greedy fucks.

Talking out of two sides of your mouth.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 4933
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:59 pm

Re: Paul Ryan's (Freudian?) slip

Postby O.J. » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:54 pm

Sandi wrote:No your taking a wild guess without a clue, and few brains cells to process it if you did.


If you're going to insult someone else's intelligence, I highly recommend that you learn the difference between "your" and "you're." Here's a quick lesson: You're a fucking idiot, because your grammar is no better than my dog's.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2991
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:13 am

Re: Paul Ryan's (Freudian?) slip

Postby kurt_w » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:04 pm

Sandi wrote:I used to sell insurance but quit because I couldn't lie to my friends and live with myself. So I know what a scheme insurance is.


So let me get this straight. You know first-hand how scandalous the existing (private) US health insurance system is. You know that it's made health care in the US more expensive than anywhere else in the world.

You also know that during the planning stages of health care reform (2009-2010) conservatives vetoed every idea that would reduce the reliance on private insurers (a public option, single-payer, etc.) and demanded that HCR be entirely built on private health insurance.

I assume you also know that the country with the system most similar to the US's (Switzerland, which is basically the model for Romneycare/Obamacare) has the second most-expensive health care sector in the world, after the US. Like Romneycare/Obamacare, Switzerland basically mandates that people buy private insurance.

I assume you also understand that pretty much every other developed, western country has a health care system that manages to cover everyone, with a high quality of care, at substantially lower cost than the US.

The patchwork system used to finance health care in this country is a joke. It's not really a health care system so much as a giant machine for producing and shuffling vast quantities of paperwork, by which the private insurance companies try to keep collecting all the premium dollars they can while avoiding paying for any care that they can get away with denying.

The solution is obvious. Unfortunately, the political climate and institutions in this country are so screwed up that we as a nation are unable to fix even the most obviously broken stuff. Romneycare/Obamacare is the most timid step towards health care reform imaginable, and even that was barely manageable.

This doesn't bode well for our future as a superpower.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 5240
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:11 pm

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR
Created with flickr badge.

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar