MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 26.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

The 47 Percent Videotape

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

The 47 Percent Videotape

Postby O.J. » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:26 pm

Awesome and Awesomer.

This should be an entertaining interview.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Re: The 47 Percent Videotape

Postby kurt_w » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:36 pm

O.J. wrote:Awesome and Awesomer.

This should be an entertaining interview.

For those who might not necessarily click through to see the details, it's a pretty amazing story. From OJ's second link:

'47 Percent' Filmmaker Once Saved Drowning Woman

"Awesome" is right.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:11 pm

Ed Schultz was really pushing this interview on his show today, along with a little Pope-talk that will hopefully die a quick death. I flipped it over to Rush to see if he had any words of wisdom about the videotaping bartender, who is undoubtedly a criminal trespasser, a slanderous hippy liberal freak and probably gay, but he didn't have much to say about it. He did, however, launch into a tirade about kids getting free lunch at school and some silly kerfuffle about White House tours that only a true dittohead could get excited about. I'm sure it's worse than Watergate... I'm just sure.

At any rate, I seriously hope that Ed Schultz and others in the industry have warned this man about the negative publicity he's about to receive. Ed claims the man isn't trying to cash in, but I'm hoping that's not the truth. If he doesn't want to cash in, he should just keep quiet because FoxNews and right-wing radio are gearing up to drag his name through a serious mud pit. I can't think of many positives to saying "I'm the one who made that video." The story and the election are over, whatever damage or benefit the video caused is now part of the history books. If he was going to do an interview, he should have done it last August.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:29 pm

Both enjoyable links, do click 'em. Stuff about people doing the right thing.

I know we get link-fatigue so I thought those deserved a bump.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Leroy Gates » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:30 am

pjbogart wrote: He (Rush) did, however, launch into a tirade about kids getting free lunch at school

"Record Number Of Students Received Free Lunches In 2012"
http://www.fns.usda.gov/pd/slsummar.htm
Leroy Gates
Forum Addict

Postby rabble » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:10 am

I'm glad this is getting some publicity. The last thing we want to do as a country is feed our hungry children.

If their parents can't feed em they ought to starve. It'll make them better citizens if they know the government doesn't give a shit. Plus, the malnutrition will make them smaller adults so they'll fit better on the bus seats.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:53 am

Whoddathunk? Leroy listened to Rush yesterday too!
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:11 am

rabble wrote:I'm glad this is getting some publicity. The last thing we want to do as a country is feed our hungry children.

Last month RoJo went on a tear about the Left giving away candy. Or something.
Ron Johnson wrote:I know you like that candy, but here's the problem: It's caused a cavity... nah, it's even worse than that... that cavity has abscessed... and its worse than that.. that cavity has caused an infection and its in the body and if we don't cure it, you're going to die.

I think that means that food stamps are killing your.

Also, our entire federal debt, $16 T, is the total we've spent fighting the war on poverty. Coincidence?
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:38 am

rabble wrote:I'm glad this is getting some publicity. The last thing we want to do as a country is feed our hungry children.

If their parents can't feed em they ought to starve. It'll make them better citizens if they know the government doesn't give a shit. Plus, the malnutrition will make them smaller adults so they'll fit better on the bus seats.

I read on the Internet that someone knew someone who knew someone whose neighbor made $350,000 a year but lied to get free lunches for their kids. So we totally need to stop that by not providing free lunches for anyone ever.
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:49 am

kurt_w wrote:'47 Percent' Filmmaker Once Saved Drowning Woman

"Awesome" is right.

"The canal, they noticed, was crawling with alligators." !!!
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:51 am

We should just feed these kids horse meat and beans.

Lazy rotten fucking kids. They should go out and get a job like everybody else. Talk about being takers. Kids are the worst. Thanks Rush and Leroy for showing us the way true 'Mericans should act.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:02 pm

I will say this for the Republicans: they are nothing if not consistent. In war and in peace, in good times and in bad, they keep their single-minded focus on hoovering up all the money in the country and transferring it to the already-rich.

Look at Paul Ryan's plan for the budget. He wants to slash the top tax rate by 37%. When Romney proposed a somewhat less drastic version of this budget, the analysts who ran the numbers said what you'd expect -- this fat tax cut for the richest would be paid for by increased taxes on the middle class and working class.

These people look at poor families whose kids get free lunch at school, and think "That money ought to be going to defense contractors!" They think that the people who benefit the most from the existence of the United States as a prosperous, safe, free country ought to pay nothing, while the people who clean their offices and mow their lawns and teach their kids and pick their vegetables and work in their warehouses ought to be kept as poor as possible, to ensure that they keep working and don't get lazy.

Once upon a time, America was more equal than most other developed countries, with more social mobility and a comparably better-off middle class. That America is fading away. We're turning into a banana republic, and guys like Paul Ryan and Rush Limbaugh are doing their best to accelerate the process.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Leroy Gates » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:23 pm

Do any of you see any downside to having a record number of students requiring food assistance?
Last edited by Leroy Gates on Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Leroy Gates
Forum Addict

Postby Leroy Gates » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:37 pm

It's not that we rightwingers want kids to starve, it's worse than that, we want their parents, preferably Papa, to have a good job that enables families to buy their own damn meals, yes I know it's cruel and you don't get your cheap compassion points but it's a sustainable plan, setting new records for food stamps etc. isn't.
Leroy Gates
Forum Addict

Postby kurt_w » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:22 pm

Leroy Gates wrote:Do any of you see any downside to having a record number of students requiring food assistance?

Um, yeah. It's just that for me, the downside is not that poor kids get to have lunch at school. The downside is that there are that many kids in poverty.

Taking away lunch isn't the solution. And that brings us to this:

Leroy Gates wrote:It's not that we rightwingers want kids to starve, it's worse than that, we want their parents, preferably Papa, to have a good job that enables families to buy their own damn meals, yes I know it's cruel and you don't get your cheap compassion points but it's a sustainable plan, setting new records for food stamps etc. isn't.

Except "wanting parents to have a good job" isn't a plan of any kind, sustainable or otherwise.

Let's assume that you and I would both prefer that Johnny's parents have good jobs. Yeah, that'd be nice. High-fives all around!

The question is what do you do when Johnny's parents don't have good jobs. Do you take away his lunch and tell him that it's for his own benefit, because giving kids a free lunch at school teaches them to become dependent moochers who will be a drain on society for the rest of their lives? Or do you let them have lunch so they can maybe function a bit better for the second half of the school day and hopefully do a bit better than they would otherwise?

What's your priority -- making a moral statement about the awfulness of welfare, or getting kids through school?
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to National Politics & Government