MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
jamesmadisonpark
Wednesday, July 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 74.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Citizen Dave: "Sit Russ! Sit"

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Citizen Dave: "Sit Russ! Sit"

Postby rrnate » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:30 pm

Dave article is here - http://www.isthmus.com/daily/article.php?article=39369&sid=08d84d5d1e97237015e6f8b649607dac

Pretty sure Citizen Dave is projecting here - the gist of his writeup is that Russ Feingold shouldn't run for Senate against Johnson again because even though he has a good chance of winning,

a) democrats need to develop a deeper bench
b) Feingold is bad about bringing fed dollars to WI

These arguments are either misleading or wrong (or, both). First of all, I totally agree that the WI Dem Party as it stands is a giant shit show. The party really hasn't done a great job of recruiting/developing the right kind of candidates and we're seeing the effects of it. That being said, a Senate race isn't where you do that and Feingold IS one of the only folks who can take out Johnson. He's not interested in state politics and he's a hell of a senator. Can't help but wonder if the guy who is probably won't run for mayor in the next election is projecting a bit towards Feingold.

As for the fed dollars thing, comparing Baldwin to Feingold is kind of apples/oranges in terms of a Congress member's ability to have direct impact on state projects vs. a Senate member's. Outside of that, I don't think it's silly to want to be represented by someone like Feingold - there IS a bit of a cost there, but if every Senate member is just a money grubber, well, that gets us where we're at now.

Also, not sure if it's Dave or some editor titling these writeups, but "Sit, Russ! Sit" is pretty weaksauce.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Citizen Dave: "Sit Russ! Sit"

Postby Jasmin » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:09 pm

Ummm given that Russ is the most popular politician in WI from either party right now, I think Dave should get out of the basement and talk to people more.

Also, this post sounds extremely bitter.
Jasmin

Postby gargantua » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:47 pm

I have to disagree with Citizen Dave. It is not Russ Feingold's fault that the WI Democrats don't have a deep bench. The presence of Tommy Thompson did not prevent the GOP from fielding.....Scott Walker.

Some of Dave's comments with respect to Feingold's not building relationships and bringing resources to the state might have some merit. I don't know that, but it sort of rings true in that Russ didn't seem that interested in that type of politics.

So what? Are you telling me we'd be better off with another six years of Ron Johnson? Because if Russ doesn't run, I'd like to know who we've got that can beat RoJo's blandness and money. First name Diddly. Last name Squat!
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby talagaster » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:44 pm

Ron Johnson is in no way unbeatable, the Democrats still need to field a good candidate but it doesn't need to be Russ.

Tammy Baldwin wasn't a big name throughout the state in the Spring of last year. She won, at least partially, because it was a presidential election that year. Dems running for Senate in WI have a much easier time when sharing a ticket with the executive branch than during the mid-term.

Take a look at Feingold:
'98 - mid-term - won a REALLY tight race against Mark Neumann of all people.
'04 - presidential election - comfy victory.
'10 - mid-term - you remember what happened.

Historically, 2016 should be a better race for a Democratic candidate for Senate than 2010. Of course, that's not counting any fun new anti-voting laws the state legislature can drum up between now and then.
talagaster
Forum Addict

Postby snoqueen » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:21 pm

For Feingold to run is not to discourage other Democrats from developing statewide visibility. A good primary, even if lost to Feingold, might be a huge help to an up and coming Democratic candidate.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:28 pm

If the Teapers have their way, you won't have to worry about whether Russ runs in 2016, because instead of the people voting for senators, the state legislature will just pick them.

Try googling repeal 17th amendment. A lot of right-wingers are pushing this issue now. Here's just a tiny sample of links from the past few months:

Cato Institute: Repeal the 17th Amendment?

The National Review: Repeal the 17th Amendment!

The Blaze: Georgia Lawmakers Want To Repeal the 17th Amendment

Rollcall: GOP Senate Candidates Advocate 17th Amendment Repeal

FreeRepublic: How would Senate look if we repealed 17th Amendment today?

TeaParty.Org: How to Repeal the 14th, 16th, and 17th Amendments

... and so on, endlessly. This is an incredibly hot topic on the Right these days.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby tdogg » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:32 pm

The bench for the Democratic Party is fairly weak. Madison and Milwaukee can generate the most talent, but in my opinion, none of the recent additions to the State Assembly were high-quality prospects. Chris Taylor is respectable. Melissa Sargent and Dianne Hesselbein are nice women, but neither were innovative on the Dane County Board. Tote the party line but nothing more. Brett Husley is a disaster and Kelda showed her real colors during her Congressional run.

So that begs the question - who will replace Husley and Risser (eventually)? What are the next steps? I hope to see someone not affiliated with the Dane County Board.
tdogg

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:18 pm

kurt_w wrote:Try googling repeal 17th amendment. A lot of right-wingers are pushing this issue now. Here's just a tiny sample of links from the past few months:

Thanks for the links Kurt. I really had no idea about this movement. From your national review link:

the Constitution is undemocratic, too

It's amazing what a giant boner these teapers get over states rights.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:31 am

Stebben84 wrote:
kurt_w wrote:Try googling repeal 17th amendment. A lot of right-wingers are pushing this issue now. Here's just a tiny sample of links from the past few months:

Thanks for the links Kurt. I really had no idea about this movement. From your national review link:

It's interesting to note that the TeaParty.Org page also advocates repealing the 14th amendment.

The 14th amendment did several things:

(1) It overturned the supreme court's Dred Scott ruling (that black people are not citizens).

(2) It prohibited certain people who had engaged in insurrection, rebellion or treason from being elected or appointed to government office.

(3) It extended the Bill of Rights to prevent state and local governments from infringing on individual rights (prior to the 14th, the Bill of Rights only applied to the federal government).

(4) It guaranteed that the US government would pay its own debts but would not pay debts of the Confederate states during the Civil War.

I think the idea is that the Teapers want states to not be bound by the Bill of Rights. Or maybe the problem is with the first part -- they want the government to be able to exclude certain groups of people from citizenship (specifically, children of immigrants who are born here). I don't think that most of them want to remove citizenship from black people, or to say that the government can just abrogate the debt.

But following the thinking of those people isn't always easy.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:49 am

Stebben84 wrote:

What isn't so amazing is the giant number of miseducated Americans like Stebben who believe states even have rights and who believe that America is "all about democracy".
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bleurose » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:10 am

Add to Kurt's list re: overturning the 14th - a number of states are actively working on the ridiculously labelled "religious conscience" legislation. The gist of such legislation is to allow narrow-minded and bigoted people to impose their religious/personal beliefs on the rest of us during the course of supposedly doing business. See: Hobby Lobby, Chik-Fil-A as examples. Also pharmacists who want the final say on what drugs are dispensed to women, never mind what a physician has legitimately prescribed.

If your personal beliefs are that crippling as far as doing business in public, then you need to get another career.
bleurose
Forum Addict

Postby SlayerDave » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:42 am

snoqueen wrote:For Feingold to run is not to discourage other Democrats from developing statewide visibility. A good primary, even if lost to Feingold, might be a huge help to an up and coming Democratic candidate.

I don't know about that. Granted, not a statewide race, but I don't know if Kelda Helen Roys was helped by a primary last summer. The preference amongst many Dems seems to be for cleared fields, I think.

I also disagree with the notion that aside from Feingold (who yes, obviously is the most formidable candidate) it's diddly squat. Ron Kind seems to be readying himself for such a statewide race, and I think a lot of folks would welcome breaking the Dane/Milwaukee dominance in statewide Dem politics.

Honestly though, while candidates do matter of course, I think the fortunes of President Obama probably matter more for the '16 WI Senate race than anything else. If he's popular, Dems probably win the presidency, and that trickles down to other races as well. If not, not.
SlayerDave
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:42 pm

Let's hope the Dems run someone who can beat Johnson, as he seems vulnerable.

Tough sledding for Ron Johnson: The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel’s Craig Gilbert takes a close look at the recent Marquette Law School poll that showed Republican U.S. Sen. Ron Johnson with a 30 percent favorability rating, compared to 25 percent unfavorable and 45 percent with no opinion. It’s the last figure that augurs for a tough re-election fight in 2016, Gilbert writes, noting that 2016 will be a presidential election year, which have traditionally been unfriendly to Republicans. Gilbert also notes that Johnson’s conservative profile will be a tougher sell in a swing state like Wisconsin.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:45 pm

rrnate wrote:Also, not sure if it's Dave or some editor titling these writeups, but "Sit, Russ! Sit" is pretty weaksauce.

Whoever it is shouldn't be getting paid for writing this insulting pap, because they are obviously a wealthy, out-of-touch dipshit.
Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Return to National Politics & Government