MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, December 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 34.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Well Now That MY Son Is Gay...

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Well Now That MY Son Is Gay...

Postby ArturoBandini » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:14 pm

jman111 wrote:Marriages could continue to exist as religious institutions while government could replace "marital rights" with "civil union rights".
Sounds good. Did Hillary Clinton every say something to this effect? Because to me her past statements sounded much more like leaving the legal concept of marriage unperturbed and adding an additional category of civil unions with an unspecified set of equivalent rights, in other words, a separate legal designation with equal rights. She has now adopted a better position (and good for her), but still short of the ideal position that you've outlined, which is government indifference to marriage, and recognition of indistinguishable civil union for all couples.

I would go further to say that the government shouldn't recognize couples at all, it should only recognize voluntary contracts between individuals, however grouped, and should give no special benefits to particular contract types.
jman111 wrote:Why should governmental policies be dictated by the policies of specific religions?
They shouldn't be.
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:20 pm

I am pleased to learn we may have an unexpected ally on the marriage thing -- Governor Walker. Go figure.

Walker talked Sunday on "Meet the Press" about how younger voters are more open to gay marriage and questioned whether states should sanction marriages of any kind.

"The interesting (thing) on the generational standpoint is I've had young people ask me I think an appropriate question, is not expanding it to include folks who are not one man and one woman but rather questioning why the government is sanctioning it in the first place," he said on the show. "I mean, that would be an alternative to say not have the government sanction marriage period, and leave that up to the churches and the synagogues and others to define that."

Is he trying to say what I think he's trying to say?

http://www.jsonline.com/news/statepolit ... 20411.html
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:22 pm

snoqueen wrote:
"I mean, that would be an alternative to say not have the government sanction marriage period, and leave that up to the churches and the synagogues and others to define that."

Is he trying to say what I think he's trying to say?

Nope, you got played.

Walker is the most skillful weasel I've seen in my lifetime.

This is another of his many tactical "middle ground" positions that defuses attacks from both flanks. People on the left will hear that he is soft on gay marriage. Out of the other side of his mouth, Walker will turn to the right and remind all that he's not an "Adam & Steve" guy. (The actual position that Walker took is an unrealistic hypothetical that he will never be called upon to promote or defend.)

Walker did a similar slick move on medicaid expansion, announcing (implausibly) that he had devised a middle way to expand access. His trick worked on our shallow media, criticism is muted. By comparison, the Republican Governor's of Iowa is facing a firestorm of anger for his refusal to accept the federal money.

Walker does very well for himself, for a college dropout.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:00 am

Huckleby wrote:Walker does very well for himself, for a college dropout.

As do (did) Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg and Steve Jobs, all college dropouts.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:04 am

bdog wrote:

As do (did) Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg and Steve Jobs, all college dropouts.

Also Jeffrey Dahmer--he certainly achieved much in his chosen field.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:26 am

Walker appears to do well for himself because he's on the scene at a time when he is surrounded by people who pay no mind to math, science or truth. The truth is Wisconsin is NOT better off under his watch, so he really has not done well at all.

It is incredibly insulting to anyone with half a brain for anyone to try to compare this CPAC-certified loser to people like Gates, Jobs, and Zuckerberg... people who accomplished things so huge that they literally changed the world.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:39 am

http://www.jsonline.com/news/statepolit ... 55781.html

Meanwhile, our brilliant governor has his own party upset with his plan to borrow nearly $1 billion and add more than 700 workers to the state payroll over the next two years.

How's that smaller-government thing working for ya, Scott?
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:59 am

snoqueen wrote:
How's that smaller-government thing working for ya, Scott?

I think it will work out just fine for him.

For the class of people who care about it, "smaller government" doesn't mean spending less money. It means spending less money on the wrong ("blah") people.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to National Politics & Government