MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, November 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 48.0° F  Light Rain Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

MSNBC evening hosts

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

MSNBC evening hosts

Postby Huckleby » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:08 am

Big Ed got whacked, replaced by mousy man Chris Hayes.

I think hosting a news show is very hard, just like hosting a late night talk show is difficult. Everybody has their personality flaws, and they start to wear with overexposure.

MSNBC has lousy hosts. Chris Matthews speechifies and interrupts. Reverand Sharpton is just OK. Rachael Maddow can be smug, but she is very good. One good host is not much of a stable.

Who would you rather see on the TV?
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Re: MSNBC evening hosts

Postby wack wack » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:20 am

I chuckled when I heard about Ed, as two days prior I had decided I was done with his TV show. I started listening to his radio show after watching him on TV, and discovered the two were basically the same. I like Ed and appreciate his defense of the "working man," but his MSNBC show was growing tired.

MSNBC made a huge mistake choosing Chris Hayes over Ezra Klein. Unless it was primarily Ezra's choice, in which case I guess I can't blame him.

I'd love to see Eliot Spitzer on MSNBC.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:21 am

Huckleby wrote:Big Ed got whacked, replaced by mousy man Chris Hayes.

Chris Hayes is probably one of the sharpest tacks on the teevee. And all you can say is he's 'mousy'?
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:30 am

wack wack wrote: MSNBC made a huge mistake choosing Chris Hayes over Ezra Klein. Unless it was primarily Ezra's choice, in which case I guess I can't blame him.

I'd love to see Eliot Spitzer on MSNBC.

Yes, Eliot Spitzer was excellent on CNN. Ezra Klein is a good analyst, the best. Not sure he is suited for a host role, but I'd give him a better odds than Chris Hayes.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:35 am

DCB wrote: Chris Hayes is probably one of the sharpest tacks on the teevee. And all you can say is he's 'mousy'?

The host of a talk show needs skills beyond being analytical. They have to be engaging, have some charisma. A host has be able to draw others out. Chris Hayes has little conversational spark.

George Stephanopolus is an excellent host, IMO. Chris Wallace on Fox is very good. George Stephanopolus has the gift. Rachael Maddow does a good job.

My favorite analyst on TV is Paul Krugman, but he might not be a great host.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:38 am

wack wack wrote:I chuckled when I heard about Ed, as two days prior I had decided I was done with his TV show.

Ya, I grew tired of him too. I got about a 20 minute tolerance level for either of his shows.

But at least he had some personality.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:50 am

Huckleby wrote:My favorite analyst on TV is Paul Krugman, but he might not be a great host.

Hey, if you want to talk analysts: Robert Reich for the win!
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:15 am

I think Robert Reich would be excellent.

I never saw Current TV, but I expect Jennifer Granholm would be good.

Jesse Jackson did an excellent job with his show a few years back. He was surprisingly accomodating of dissenting views. Too bad Michael Kingley is out of action, he was great.

The more I think about it, MSNBC could do so much better.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:38 am

Huckleby wrote:The more I think about it, MSNBC could do so much better.

Sad but true.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:31 pm

wack wack wrote:
Huckleby wrote:The more I think about it, MSNBC could do so much better.

Sad but true.

Agreed. They could run more of those "life in a prison" shows.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:57 pm

Ed is moving to a weekend timeslot. Some think this is a demotion, but I think it will give him a format to set a more progressive agenda for MSNBC. He'll have more freedom to get real guests, rather than relying on the stable rotation of New York and DC "experts" on the nightly shows. That is repetitive and safe, and boring.

What we need is to broaden the progressive news out to what's happening in the entire country, and now Ed will be able to do that. I actually like the more progressive and grassroots, and less predicatable, guests on the MSNBC's weekend morning shows, and I think Ed can bring in much more of a working class, grassroots prespective.

I hope ED will be given the opportunity to do more broadcasting from around the country. Ed is great when he brings his energy and immediacy to covering important stories in "flyover country."
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:18 pm

Sharpton is an awful host, too much an Obama suck up, and seems like he has suffered a series of small strokes. Dr. Cornel West or Glen Ford would be much better as hosts representing the Black Left, a group seldom heard from anymore.
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:55 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:Agreed. They could run more of those "life in a prison" shows.

LOL. MSNBC's weekend programming is indeed acutely embarrassing, they would be better off just running a test pattern with some bossa nova music.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:51 am

Ratings for Chris Hayes's hour are down 30% from when Ed Schultz left. Part of that is the whole MSNBC ratings are down, but I am not surprised that Hayes is tanking in such dramatic fashion.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/03/busin ... -news.html
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:31 am

Huckleby wrote:Ratings for Chris Hayes's hour are down 30% from when Ed Schultz left. Part of that is the whole MSNBC ratings are down, but I am not surprised that Hayes is tanking in such dramatic fashion.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/03/busin ... -news.html

I'm one of the numbers they permanently lost from that slot, no surprise here. However, two interesting points from the article:

1) It sounds like the entire cable news industry took a beating during the first quarter.

2) "Breaking news" is not really MSNBC's thing. While this might sound like a team making an excuse, I've found this to be relatively true. Many times when there is "breaking news" happening I turn on MSNBC and they're still following they're "news magazine" model, with scheduled topics and guests. Unfortunately, regularly maintaining story A when story B is breaking leads to irrelevance.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to National Politics & Government