MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Saturday, July 12, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 75.0° F  Light Rain Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Michelle Shocked: God hates faggots

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Michelle Shocked: God hates faggots

Postby lukpac » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:14 am

So yeah, this happened:

Matt Penfield, who was live-tweeting the show from onstage called her rant, delivered during her second set, “totally sincere [and] super anti-gay and hateful.”

We’re still trying to get the full text of her speech, but apparently she told fans “you can go on twitter and say Michelle Shocked said ‘God hates fags.’”

Another Twitter user posted that Shocked “said she lives in fear that the world will be destroyed if gays are allowed to marry.”

"When they stop Prop 8 and force priests at gunpoint to marry gays, it will be the downfall of civilization and Jesus will come back," she said.

Loud gasps were heard from the audience. Many fans walked out.

"I believe the Bible is the word of God," Shocked continued.

http://www.bestofneworleans.com/blogofn ... x-marriage

[edit: corrected subject line from "fags" to "faggots" to accurately reflect actual quote]
Last edited by lukpac on Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Michelle Shocked: God hates fags

Postby rrnate » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:46 am

Huh - I had always thought she WAS gay. (I guess, this doesn't necessarily mean she isn't.)

Either way, I had also always thought she was super boring, and this doesn't really change that.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:52 am

rrnate wrote:Huh - I had always thought she WAS gay. (I guess, this doesn't necessarily mean she isn't.)

Either way, I had also always thought she was super boring, and this doesn't really change that.

I think this episode reeks of born-again loathing of the former self.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:42 am

wack wack wrote:
rrnate wrote:Huh - I had always thought she WAS gay. (I guess, this doesn't necessarily mean she isn't.)

I think this episode reeks of born-again loathing of the former self.

Well, hopefully she can channel some of that inner turmoil in to doing something interesting musically. Either way, she's gonna get a cold reception here in Madison now, I'd guess (if anyone even bothers to bring her stupid ass back to town).
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:49 am

rrnate wrote:Well, hopefully she can channel some of that inner turmoil in to doing something interesting musically. Either way, she's gonna get a cold reception here in Madison now, I'd guess (if anyone even bothers to bring her stupid ass back to town).

Well, as mentioned in the other Big Gay Thread that's currently active, at the moment she's booked at The Harmony for the first weekend in May.

However, given the demographic makeup of the neighborhood and the fact that Keith's not an idiot, I think Henry Vilas's prediction of a cancellation is probably Vegas book-worthy.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:55 am

I for one am looking forward to watching the right attempt to fit her into their entertainment lineup.

Or to put it another way, I wonder how they'll Dennis Millerize her.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:07 pm

I'm surprised that she didn't get dropped by the left a long time ago, for her "homage to black-face minstrelsy" that was titled Arkansas Traveler.

She'll never get a gig again, and that doesn't bother me a bit.
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:57 pm

Galoot wrote:She'll never get a gig again, and that doesn't bother me a bit.

Totally not true. She'll be headlining CPAC next year and have a cozy dressing room at the RNC in 2016.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:01 pm

Marvell wrote:Well, as mentioned in the other Big Gay Thread that's currently active, at the moment she's booked at The Harmony for the first weekend in May.

However, given the demographic makeup of the neighborhood and the fact that Keith's not an idiot, I think Henry Vilas's prediction of a cancellation is probably Vegas book-worthy.

Not getting into that thread, but Hank called it:

At least one cancellation was not made by a venue. A representative of Madison’s Harmony Bar told Pollstar that Shocked’s May 5 appearance was canceled by the artist.

Not clear how many of these cancellations were from the venues or Shocked:

Now it looks as if Shocked can forget about her spring U.S. tour as venue after venue listed on her itinerary removes her from their upcoming calendars.

That includes her March 28 gig at McCabe’s Guitar Shop in Santa Monica, March 29 at Moe’s Alley in Santa Cruz, April 24 at HopMonk Tavern in Novato, Calif., April 25 in Winters, Calif., at the Palms Playhouse, April 26 at Alberta Rose Theatre in Portland, Ore., April 27 at Meander’ss Kitchen in Seattle, May 4 at E-Town in Boulder, Colo., May 5 at Harmony Bar in Madison, Wis., and June 23 at S.P.A.C.E. in Chicago.

http://www.pollstar.com/news_article.aspx?ID=804549
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:25 pm

pjbogart wrote:
Galoot wrote:She'll never get a gig again, and that doesn't bother me a bit.

Totally not true. She'll be headlining CPAC next year and have a cozy dressing room at the RNC in 2016.

RNC, possibly, CPAC, no. Apparently they have given up the fight:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/chrisgeidner/at ... ht-is-over
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:35 pm

Wow.

Okay, so "Millerize" might not be the correct term. She won't be folded into the Republican/Conservative flock. It'll have to be a little more specific.

She'll and Sara Palin will end up touring together.

The Palin TeaParty Shocker! Or something.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:26 pm

Uh- maybe she can go on a speaking tour with Orson Scott Card who says pretty much the same thing and has had his own issues lately -though as far as i know the Ender's Game movie is still on. Are the latter day saints now demanding public pronouncements from all of the faithful?
http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/under- ... -by-mormon
peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Logjam » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:35 pm

I look forward to an album of duets with John Ashcroft.

LET THE EAGLE SOAR!!!
Logjam
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:40 pm

At least one cancellation was not made by a venue. A representative of Madison’s Harmony Bar told Pollstar that Shocked’s May 5 appearance was canceled by the artist.

I found this from USA Today:
By Tuesday night Telluride Blues Festival dropped her, leaving her one stop, the Harmony Bar in Madison, Wis., still on the schedule.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:57 pm

She clears it all up:

http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2013/03/20 ... -gay-rant/

"I do not, nor have I ever, said or believed that God hates homosexuals (or anyone else). I said that some of His followers believe that," she said.

When she encouraged the audience to tweet that "Michelle Shocked says 'God hates f**s,'" Shocked said she was "predicting the absurd way my description of, my apology for, the intolerant would no doubt be misinterpreted. The show was all music, and the audience tweets said they enjoyed it. The commentary came about ten minutes later, in the encore."

To her fans who've been disappointed by the incident, Shocked extends an apology.

"I'm very sorry: I don't always express myself as clearly as I should," she said. "But don't believe everything you read on Facebook or Twitter. My view of homosexuality has changed not one iota. I judge not. And my statement equating repeal of Prop 8 with the coming of the End Times was neither literal nor ironic: it was a description of how some folks – not me – feel about gay marriage.

"The show, and the rant, was spontaneous. As for those applauding my so-called stance that 'God Hates F****ts,' I say they should be met with mercy, not hate," she went on. "And I hope that what remains of my audience will meet that intolerance with understanding, even of those who might hate them."

Maybe:

"I am damn sorry. If I could repeat the evening, I would make a clearer distinction between a set of beliefs I abhor, and my human sympathy for the folks who hold them. I say this not because I want to look better. I have no wish to hide my faults, and – clearly – I couldn't if I tried."
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to National Politics & Government