MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, September 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 51.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

The gentrification of the second amendment.

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

The gentrification of the second amendment.

Postby Bludgeon » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:02 am

Think 'Progress' wrote:One proposal bouncing around the US House of Representatives to help curb gun violence is The Firearm Risk Protection Act, a law that would require gun owners to purchase liability insurance for their weapon, or pay a penalty. The federal legislation, put forth by Rep. Carolyn Maloney (D-NY) with seven co-sponsors, is obviously controversial; gun owners are reluctant to take on the additional cost burden, and see it as an impingement on their Second Amendment rights. Lawmakers have considered similar efforts in California, Massachusetts, Maryland, and Connecticut, and all have elicited controversy or been withdrawn.

There's a nice, fine, high flung idea for you. People can't exercise a right they can't afford, right? Before you scoff at the cost as negligible, be assured that it isn't. There are law abiding gun owners who can't afford their mortgages, much less afford another regular insurance payment. There are people who have been obeying the law all their lives in much worse situations.

No problem for limo liberals who want their armed guards - no problem for liberals in general who either hate guns or can afford dozens of them. Its just a thing of beauty to watch an ideological left constantly sounding the alarm of gentrification, to see them working the levers of class inequality to justify the means with their ends. Basically, here is a policy that would affect mostly poor people - the result would amount to a significant barrier to their constitutional right to bear arms; and the left is in love with the concept.
Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Re: The gentrification of the second amendment.

Postby wack wack » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:16 am

The Second Amendment needs to be repealed and replaced.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:19 am

Bludgeon wrote:There are law abiding gun owners who can't afford their mortgages, much less afford another regular insurance payment.

Then how do they afford the guns and bullets in the first place. Maybe we should take this one step further and make all guns and bullets free.

Bludgeon wrote:No problem for limo liberals who want their armed guards

That's a first for me. Did you get that from Glenn Beck? Jeebus you are such a tool.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:27 am

Bludgeon wrote:People can't exercise a right they can't afford, right? Before you scoff at the cost as negligible, be assured that it isn't.

It's good to see you come out against Voter ID efforts.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:28 am

wack wack wrote:The Second Amendment needs to be repealed and replaced.

I Second the motion.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:09 am

<comment moved>
Last edited by penquin on Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:13 am

The Gun Thread is where this belongs.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:13 am

Repealing worked with Prohibition. You can repeal something without rewording it.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:22 am

DCB wrote:

I Second the motion.

I disagree with you both, but respect your honesty. Far better than incremental legislation that hides the true intent of its proponents.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:29 am

jjoyce wrote:The Gun Thread is where this belongs.

No it doesn't.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:42 am

jjoyce wrote:The Gun Thread is where this belongs.

Now you're just being an asshole.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:00 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:
DCB wrote:

I Second the motion.

I disagree with you both, but respect your honesty. Far better than incremental legislation that hides the true intent of its proponents.

Please don't misunderstand: I support private firearm ownership for protection and sport. I said repeal and replace.

The arcane language and anachronistic nature of the current Second Amendment allows for too much misinterpretation.

Let's clarify and modernize things. Including the concepts of self-defense, sport and responsibility while eliminating things like "militia" and "keep and bear" would be a good start.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bludgeon » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:02 pm

wack wack wrote:I disagree with you both, but respect your honesty. Far better than incremental legislation that hides the true intent of its proponents.

Please don't misunderstand: I support private firearm ownership for protection and sport. I said repeal and replace.

The arcane language and anachronistic nature of the current Second Amendment allows for too much misinterpretation.

Let's clarify and modernize things. Including the concepts of self-defense, sport and responsibility while eliminating things like "militia" and "keep and bear" would be a good start.

So your real problem with the second amendment is that you don't like what it says, or the intention with which it was written.

And progressives' solution since they object to the concept, is just to price everybody out of the market - the market of exercising their own constitutional rights. Because gentrification is bad.. I mean good?
Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:20 pm

Bludgeon wrote:or the intention with which it was written.

Was the intention to NEVER allow ANY restrictions on arms? We already have some so why not others? We have some because that intention is up for interpretation and that is why we have the government and judges.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:21 pm

My real problem with the Second is that two hundred years after it was ratified, the Supreme Court reinterpreted it to exclude the opening clauses. To wit, "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State" and instead said it means guns for all. Although they did say reasonable restrictions are still OK.

Somehow, many in the NRA controlled Congress think background checks and limits on high capacity firearms aren't reasonable. The American public disagrees.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to National Politics & Government