MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, September 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 50.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

The gentrification of the second amendment.

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: The gentrification of the second amendment.

Postby Madsci » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:40 pm

Marvell wrote:Pork chops AND Hitler?

This is the best thread ever!

But don't forget to add some bacon and a DRINK.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1002
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:47 pm

Re: The gentrification of the second amendment.

Postby pjbogart » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:59 pm

Bludgeon wrote:
HawkHead wrote:Somebody is not following along with the thread where Nazi's are now socialists.


Nazis were socialists - also, its a political party, not a country: a socialist political party. An anti-gun, socialist political party.


You see, Bludgie, that's what Bobby Jindal was talking about when he said he was sick of belonging to the stupid party. Not only were the Nazis not socialists, but you know they weren't socialists and once again you're just lying through your teeth because you think you might score some political points. Once again, you turned to your pundit overlords for some guidance and talking points and once again make a mockery of yourself by repeating shit that no one around here (save maybe Meade and Sandi) are dumb enough to believe.

Here's what I don't get... if the purpose of your propaganda is to help your party win elections, why would you take positions that moderate and independent voters are sure to reject? The fact that Nazis put socialists in concentration camps along with the Jews and homosexuals is a matter of historical record, and when people realize that you're lying to them, they'll quit listening to everything else you say. So why bother? Who's your audience?
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6151
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2003 4:57 pm

Re: The gentrification of the second amendment.

Postby DCB » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:18 pm

HawkHead wrote:I am so confused.

North Korea is Democratic People's Republic of Korea.

Are they a democracy, a republic or communists? Maybe fascists pretending to be socialists?

Obviously they're Republicans.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2648
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:08 pm

Re: The gentrification of the second amendment.

Postby DCB » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:21 pm

We face some very difficult choices. Either we choose FREEDOM or genocide.

There is no other alternative.

Update: another four-year-old asserting his Second Amendment rights.
Last edited by DCB on Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2648
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:08 pm

Re: The gentrification of the second amendment.

Postby Bludgeon » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:33 pm

pjbogart wrote:
Bludgeon wrote:
HawkHead wrote:Somebody is not following along with the thread where Nazi's are now socialists.

Nazis were socialists - also, its a political party, not a country: a socialist political party. An anti-gun, socialist political party.

Here's what I don't get... if the purpose of your propaganda is to help your party win elections, why would you take positions that moderate and independent voters are sure to reject? The fact that Nazis put socialists in concentration camps along with the Jews and homosexuals is a matter of historical record, and when people realize that you're lying to them, they'll quit listening to everything else you say. So why bother? Who's your audience?

Was Stalin a socialist? Was Mao? Was Hitler? What's the difference?

After the (not Marxist) revolutionaries in France ran out of loyalists, they started butchering each other too. It's just the kind of thing fanaticism lends itself to.

Q: What do you get when a socialist puts a socialist and a communist in a cell?

A: Three Marxists.

Beware.
Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1291
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:27 am

Re: The gentrification of the second amendment.

Postby pjbogart » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:11 pm

Bludgeon wrote:Q: What do you get when a socialist puts a socialist and a communist in a cell?

A: Three Marxists.

Beware.


Not that you'd care, Bludgie, but I think that's kind of the final straw for me. You can join Meade on my ignore list, but not because you're a mind-numbingly stupid moron but because you aren't. The fact that you obviously know better yet choose to spew complete nonsense tells me that you have nothing of substance to offer. If I want Rush Limbaugh's opinion, I'll tune in to his show.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6151
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2003 4:57 pm

Re: The gentrification of the second amendment.

Postby Bludgeon » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:36 am

Actually, PJ, I do care. You and snow and Huckleby are my three favorite TDPF'ers to talk to on here, and not just because your initials always remind me of my number one favorite modern songwriter.

I like talking on here - very good discussion board; I been talkin'a youse bastards since back when I thought the place was way too conservative. (In some ways I still do).

I get tired of talking to all the religious conservatives because no matter how hard I try, I can't see how a person can actually believe there's a dude with a beard who lives in the sky and cares all about us.

I suppose I've just always had a ready dose of criticism for people who are really devout about anything.

Further, breaking through boundaries is a hard task in politics. My little joke was just a light hearted way of pointing out that socialists have a very long and bloody history to live up to; I get really weary of the tens of millions of mulligans we're supposed to just give them.
Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1291
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:27 am

Re: The gentrification of the second amendment.

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:24 am

Naw, he's just stupid.

Ignorance can be overcome. Stupid is forever.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 19869
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all

Re: The gentrification of the second amendment.

Postby Leroy Gates » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:00 pm

"“What do you call a person who gets rid of bad socialism and keeps good socialism? I call that person a good socialist, like Margaret Thatcher.”

http://weaselzippers.us/2013/04/09/msnbcs-lawrence-odonnell-margaret-thatcher-a-socialist/
Leroy Gates
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 162
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:09 pm

Re: The gentrification of the second amendment.

Postby rabble » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:08 pm

Nothing supports an argument better than a series of seemingly random quotes and cartoons, some of which have a common theme.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6157
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Re: The gentrification of the second amendment.

Postby Marvell » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:53 pm

Don't forget the generous application of implied Hitler!

Hitler - it's the rhetorical equivalent of high fructose corn syrup (and adds about as much nutritional value).

Which leads me to suggest that following TDPF-only contest:

Complete the following sentence:

"Any dumb asshole can Hitler..."
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6980
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2001 11:28 pm
Location: At one with time and space

Re: The gentrification of the second amendment.

Postby pjbogart » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:01 pm

... my vonny fuzzy yarbles!
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6151
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2003 4:57 pm

Re: The gentrification of the second amendment.

Postby johnfajardohenry » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:22 pm

Bludgeon wrote:Before you scoff at the cost as negligible, be assured that it isn't.


So how much would the insurance cost and what is not-negligible to you?

Many gun owners already have this coverage through their existing homeowner's policy whether they have guns or not. It may vary some between states, though

I would not expect our fine lawmakers to realize this though. The Secty of Health doesn't seem to know the difference between health "insurance" and prepaid healthcare. That dipstick from Denver, who keeps introducing laws banning high capacity magazines does not seem to realize that they can be reloaded.


NRA offers $250,000 worth of liability insurance for your guns for $67/yr.

They also offer $250,000 concealed carry liability for about $269/yr.

Not "negligible", but doesn't seem like a lot either.

I don't have a big issue with the insurance. No more than I have with requiring liability insurance on your house, car, boat etc. I suspect that many legal gun owners already have it. I don't even have a big issue with the cost. It is pretty cheap now and if widely required will only become cheaper.

$6/month? That is going to bust someone? They probably spend more than that on gun cleaning supplies.

The real issue I think is that it seems like a way to register firearms, which I am dead set against.

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1335
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:22 pm

Re: The gentrification of the second amendment.

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:46 pm

johnfajardohenry wrote:That dipstick from Denver, who keeps introducing laws banning high capacity magazines does not seem to realize that they can be reloaded.


"Woman Wrestled Fresh Ammo Clip From Tucson Shooter as He Tried to Reload"
ABC News citation
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 19869
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all

Re: The gentrification of the second amendment.

Postby johnfajardohenry » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:01 am

Henry Vilas wrote:
johnfajardohenry wrote:That dipstick from Denver, who keeps introducing laws banning high capacity magazines does not seem to realize that they can be reloaded.


"Woman Wrestled Fresh Ammo Clip From Tucson Shooter as He Tried to Reload"
ABC News citation


This is the Democrat dipstick from Denver that I had in mind:

DeGette, a Democrat from Denver, has been a pivotal leader at the federal level to strengthen the nation's gun laws since she entered Congress in the mid-1990s.

She has, at least three times, introduced legislation to ban high-capacity ammunition magazines, and she has signed on to a handful of other gun-control bills

<snip>

"These are ammunition, they're bullets, so the people who have those now, they're going to shoot them, so if you ban them in the future, the number of these high-capacity magazines is going to decrease dramatically over time because the bullets will have been shot and there won't be any more available."

Magazines, in almost every kind of weapon, can be reloaded.

Then, later in the day, in explaining the mistake, DeGette spokeswoman Juliet Johnson made another one.

"She simply misspoke in referring to 'magazines' when she should have referred to 'clips,' which cannot be reused because they don't have a feeding mechanism," Johnson said.

Clips, too, can be reloaded in almost every instance.

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_22971 ... z2Q3aoNjKq

This is the type of genius that the demmies choose to put in charge of gun control.

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1335
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:22 pm

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar