MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, December 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 22.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Is the Tea Party dying?

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Is the Tea Party dying?

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:29 pm

After spending hundreds of millions of dollars in the last federal election cycle with little result, the Koch brothers are pulling out. Without the brothers bucks, the Tea Party couldn't even organize their annual April 15 tax protest at the capitol.

Nationally, the Kochs are reshuffling their political operation after a disappointing 2012 election, in which they spent hundreds of millions of dollars only to see Obama re-elected and Democrats gain seats in Congress. Politico reports AFP has laid off much of its staff and is re-evaluating its approach to politics.

A local tea party website, TeaPartyPerspective.com, founded by Paul Bruno, a student at UW-Parkside, announced plans on April 3 to host a tax day rally in AFP's stead, but called it off several days before the April 13 date of the rally.

“There was not enough time to get the event together and instead of looking bad because of lack of preparation, we have decided not to host it this year,” Bruno wrote.

In a phone interview, Bruno said it was tough to organize an event without access to major resources.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Is the Tea Party dying?

Postby dave esmond » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:42 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
In a phone interview, Bruno said it was tough to organize an event without access to major resources.

Ha.

Grassroots and all that stuff.
dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:43 pm

There are hundreds of things they could have invested that money that would have paid off more than AFP. I guess they'll have to go back to buying politicians off the old fashioned way, bribes.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:12 pm

We can only hope that the Tea Party is dying. Hopefully they don't evolve into something more sinister.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:11 am

Madsci wrote:We can only hope that the Tea Party is dying. Hopefully they don't evolve into something more sinister.

You mean they might put the robes and hoods back on?
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:40 pm

Madsci wrote:We can only hope that the Tea Party is dying. Hopefully they don't evolve into something more sinister.

They probably will evolve simply because the people who bankroll this type of thing will learn from this failure. However we may feel about them morally, many of them did not get rich by failing to learn from mistakes or by giving up. I am sure they'll be back.

Hell, they never left. The Tea Party is a distraction. The plutocrats still own governors like Walker, Supreme Court justices like Gableman and Prosser, and Senators like Ron Johnson. So from that standpoint....doesn't matter what happens to the Tea Party.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:41 pm

I think I just heard an epic sigh of relief.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:42 pm

gargantua wrote:They probably will evolve simply because the people who bankroll this type of thing will learn from this failure. However we may feel about them morally, many of them did not get rich by failing to learn from mistakes or by giving up. I am sure they'll be back.

Yes I think this is well underway.

The american legislative exchange council and their sponsors are already running from the acronym 'ALEC'. Whatever, that is to be expected...too many dollars on the line ya know. What I find interesting is the fact that people called this subterfuge out.

Will people be ready to fight the evolving incarnations of such action?

Will the sponsors of these actions find a rational explaination for their acts that will square with the people?
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:11 am

Since the Koch brothers think that astroturfing the Tea Party is not a productive use of their money, they now want to use their billions to control the press.

Koch Brothers, Right-Wing Ideologues, Serious About Tribune, L.A. Times Bid
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:01 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Since the Koch brothers think that astroturfing the Tea Party is not a productive use of their money, they now want to use their billions to control the press.

Koch Brothers, Right-Wing Ideologues, Serious About Tribune, L.A. Times Bid

Print newspapers are a dying media. Purchasing the LA Times to spread your propaganda seems like a pretty risky bet, given that internet users can simply switch to a new source with, literally, the click of a button.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:16 pm

I agree. When I first read that, I thought the Koch brothers sure know how to dig their own graves, in more ways than one. First they put all their money on coal, when natural gas and non-carbon-based energy sources have a far better long-term future. Next, they try to influence public opinion using paper media. What is this, 1920?

And no, it won't help to tell everybody climate change is a hoax.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:50 pm

snoqueen wrote:Next, they try to influence public opinion using paper media.

Keep in mind, all of those print newspapers have websites also. I'm pretty sure they're getting the whole shebang.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:25 pm

Wouldn't it be cheaper to just start their own web pages? You can't tell me all the best journalists at the papers the Koch brothers buy will stay on. If you look, the Wall Street Journal has lost nearly all their better journalists since being taken over.

I dunno. I just thought this was a strange and not really forward-looking move. As far as I can tell, I'm about the only person here who looks at the web pages of paper news organizations. Nearly everyone else seems to go first to broadcast news sources. And I seem to be the oldest person posting here regularly (though I am not the most poorly-informed), so that says something.

In addition, I think you'd find readers of paper news are on average more white than consumers of electronic media. I haven't tried to find data that answer that question definitively.

All this, like the no-climate-change thing and the coal thing, leaves the sense the Koch brothers, for all their money, are stuck in the last century. It's odd for people who are so demonstrably clever.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:51 pm

snoqueen wrote:Wouldn't it be cheaper to just start their own web pages?

Wouldn't skewing the information offered by "trusted" news sources be more effective than establishing trust in new news sources?
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:44 pm

snoqueen wrote: All this, like the no-climate-change thing and the coal thing, leaves the sense the Koch brothers, for all their money, are stuck in the last century. It's odd for people who are so demonstrably clever.

Inherited wealth. All they know is what their daddy knew.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to National Politics & Government