MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Saturday, July 12, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 76.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Is the Tea Party dying?

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Is the Tea Party dying?

Postby Mad Howler » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:57 pm

pjbogart wrote:Print newspapers are a dying media. Purchasing the LA Times to spread your propaganda seems like a pretty risky bet, given that internet users can simply switch to a new source with, literally, the click of a button.

Fundamentally, I think you are right. Although I fear such an approach will ultimately capture enough public opinion to sway the public from a more rational discussion. My guess is that this will be deemed a better investment than the last major election cycle.

We will see.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:18 pm

Mad Howler wrote:
pjbogart wrote:Print newspapers are a dying media. Purchasing the LA Times to spread your propaganda seems like a pretty risky bet, given that internet users can simply switch to a new source with, literally, the click of a button.

Fundamentally, I think you are right. Although I fear such an approach will ultimately capture enough public opinion to sway the public from a more rational discussion. My guess is that this will be deemed a better investment than the last major election cycle.

We will see.

If they're getting fire sale prices on dying print media, maybe it's a decent investment. They're buying a name and the good will that travels with it. But if their intention is to fundamentally alter the nature of the newspapers they buy, you've got an industry pushed to the edge of a cliff. No one will even notice if a few lemmings tip over the edge.

I wouldn't be surprised if ten years from now there are virtually no dailies available. And while you can propagandize just as easily from a website, you can also ditch the website with amazing ease. And there's no shortage of right-wing propaganda on websites, so you've got a market that's at the very least semi-saturated.

But maybe they're just wasting money getting rid of "left-wing rags", though I've never heard anyone accuse the Chicago Tribune of pandering to liberals.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:32 am

pjbogart wrote:They're buying a name and the good will that travels with it. But if their intention is to fundamentally alter the nature of the newspapers they buy, you've got an industry pushed to the edge of a cliff.

True, but I suspect there are still plenty of folks who are influenced by the presence of the dailies in the echo chamber. Ya know, like your brother in law or members of my own tribe.

pjbogart wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if ten years from now there are virtually no dailies available. And while you can propagandize just as easily from a website, you can also ditch the website with amazing ease.

This mimick of Murdoch's approach to influencing "discourse" does seem old school, but is it?

p.s.- I thought I understood how the quotation thing works, but apearantly I got something wrong.
Last edited by Mad Howler on Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:35 am

Mad Howler wrote:[/qoute]...
p.s.- I thought I understood how the quotation thing works, but apearantly I got something wrong.

Apearantly, "quote" works better than "qoute."
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:11 am

Mad Howler wrote:
pjbogart wrote:True, but I suspect there are still plenty of folks who are influenced by the presence of the dailies in the echo chamber. Ya know, like your brother in law or members of my own tribe.

Yes, but like the Tea Party, they are dying off. I suspect it's mostly the same population.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:29 pm

massimo wrote:
Mad Howler wrote:[/qoute]...

Apearantly, "quote" works better than "qoute."

Erhh! Thanks for the kick in the...
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:46 pm

wack wack wrote:
Mad Howler wrote:
pjbogart wrote:True, but I suspect there are still plenty of folks who are influenced by the presence of the dailies in the echo chamber. Ya know, like your brother in law or members of my own tribe.

Yes, but like the Tea Party, they are dying off. I suspect it's mostly the same population.

Current tactics may be dying off, but the strategies of the fewtocrats have not and will not as it is just part of our human experience. The founders of this nation got this, it drives me crazy that federalist/heritage troit co opted this. It is painful to recognize how easy it is to steer angry and frightened people away from their own best interests.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:27 am

I am not sure what troits are so I'll have to not reply to this posting. Sorry.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/ ... ml?hpid=z2

Washington Post op-ed writer Harold Meyerson shares my questions about the Koch brothers buying up newspapers, and adds good observations. The takeovers may have greater effect locally than nationally.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:27 pm

snoqueen wrote:I am not sure what troits are so I'll have to not reply to this posting. Sorry.

The way I define "troit" is something like "spawn of trolls", which seems apt considering this shift in tactics. It is interesting that I cannot easily get a return searching for "troit" on the internets that shares this definition, as I did 12 mo ago. Surely this is all meaningless, as I am sure it it is meaningless that a search for "Themis" does not easily return much regarding the brothers.

The takeovers may have greater effect locally than nationally.

Exactly, & chilling.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:32 am

Mad Howler wrote:
wack wack wrote:Yes, but like the Tea Party, they are dying off. I suspect it's mostly the same population.

Current tactics may be dying off, but the strategies of the fewtocrats have not and will not as it is just part of our human experience. The founders of this nation got this, it drives me crazy that federalist/heritage troit co opted this. It is painful to recognize how easy it is to steer angry and frightened people away from their own best interests.

The fewtocrats themselves are dying off, and with the new economic reality in America, younger generations will not get to "fewtocrat" level fast enough to eschew all sense of fairness and reason as the current and previous generations have done.

The American experience going forward will be very different from the America we've experienced to this point in our lives. The economic issues are not a bump in the road, they're a new reality.

Their strategies may not die, but their numbers and effectiveness will.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:04 am

Are you sure the "fewtocrats" are dying off? Maybe they're just being replaced, either by inheritance or by self-made new fewtocrats.

I have a bad feeling the wealthy will always be with us, and some of them will always have an unhelpful attitude toward the society that built the ladders they climbed.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:16 am

snoqueen wrote:Are you sure the "fewtocrats" are dying off? Maybe they're just being replaced, either by inheritance or by self-made new fewtocrats.

I have a bad feeling the wealthy will always be with us, and some of them will always have an unhelpful attitude toward the society that built the ladders they climbed.

Oh, what I am suggesting is a generations-long decline, for sure, and I think the inheritance angle will always be there. My thought is that the new fewtocrats will be fewer and farther between, simply because of how much more difficult it will be to get to the top of the mountain.

I should clarify too, I was thinking specifically of the Tea Party fewtocrats. Bitterness and selfishness seem to be concentrated and more prevalent in this population.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:21 am

The political power of those with inherited wealth was a major concern for Teddy Roosevelt, the Republican president that current GOPers don't want to mention. They would remove his image from Mount Rushmore, if they could.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Thu May 16, 2013 9:16 am

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.co ... -scrutiny/
StephenNy
What a shock...the IRS targeting stopped. Can't wait till they take over enforcing healthcare. that's OK, we can trust our government...

The heat is on and Obama his DNA is all over this corruption of our government. More lies as he continues be outraged at what the IRS did.

As usual, the president knows nothing. Still trying to remember where he was that deadly night in Benghazi. MIA. Blame Hillary or some one else down the food chain.

AP? Ask the DOJ..."the smartest man in the room" knows nothing and is accountable for nothing in his administration.

Great leadership...tell the people in the IRS to prosecute American citizens under duress and let the little underlings who did it get in trouble.

Then...tell the DOJ to violate the AP which loved the president.

Obama should do more stand up and see how much more baloney we can take.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Thu May 16, 2013 9:22 am

List of forons who've participated in this thread - which began Apr.22. 2013 - who may now wish to revise and/or elaborate on their brilliant and/or not-so-brilliant insights:

Henry Vilas
dave esmond
fisticuffs
Madsci
wack wack
gargantua
pjbogart
Mad Howler
snoqueen
Stebben84
jman111
massimo