MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, September 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 76.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Benghazi

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Benghazi

Postby Meade » Tue May 07, 2013 7:25 am

What did the President know and when did he know it?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue May 07, 2013 8:11 am

What did Hillary know and when did she know it?
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Tue May 07, 2013 8:21 am

No one will ever ask when Meade or Ned knew something, as they clearly know nothing. If it isn't prepackaged and clever-sounding but ultimately hollow they don't even say it.
Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Tue May 07, 2013 8:29 am

Sandi wrote:Greg Hicks, is the former deputy chief of mission at the U.S. Embassy in Tripoli, and a pretty credible whistle blower.

The dead guy's deputy is a pretty credible whistle blower? How much corroboration does Hicks' whistle have? Everything I've seen indicates only, "Hicks said... Hicks said... Hicks said...," Are there other whistles to back him up?

Maybe they knew Hicks would be called a liar because he is?
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Tue May 07, 2013 8:31 am

Ned Flanders wrote:What did Hillary know and when did she know it?

John Entwistle wrote:

And everything I know is what I need to know
And everything I do's been done before
Every sentence in my head
Someone else has said
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Tue May 07, 2013 8:35 am

Meade wrote:What did the President know and when did he know it?

In the age of deferred whatevers does it really matter? Do not admit and do not deny. The more things change the more they remain the same, a la Bush/Cheney.
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Tue May 07, 2013 9:30 am

No Clinton, no 'Bama coming,
Don't look so you'll not see.
Last summer Rice did the dumbing,
Four dead in Ben-gha-zi.

Gotta get down to it
Terrorists gunning them down
Could've been done - a rescue.
What if you knew them
And saw them dead on the ground
How'd Candy hide what you knew?

La la la la la la cover-up
La la la la la la la
La la la la la la cover-up
Four dead in Ben-gha-zi.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue May 07, 2013 10:21 am

wack wack wrote:Maybe they knew Hicks would be called a liar because he is?

He hasn't got a lot of allies among his former co-workers, that's for sure.

Part of the problem is whatever solution he had to offer was so weak.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/nat ... story.html

As this WaPo article makes clear, all Mr. Hicks could come up with was to fly four troops, which were in Libya at the time, to Benghazi by the next morning. Or else he wanted to fly some jets, located in Italy at the time, over the site, as if that would stop the attack by frightening the attackers away. That's kind of like frightening people in Madison by scrambling the jets at Truax, which happens almost daily.

Neither of those two proposals was acted upon, and you're getting your undies all in a bundle? Those are the most pathetic, impractical defenses I ever read. if there ever was an example of bringing a knife to a gun fight, those are it.

You Benghazi guys really need to watch your arguments, because from what I can tell most of the difficulties arise from an underfunded foreign service. If our locations abroad were properly funded they'd have better defenses on site and better intelligence, but you know... government bad, taxes bad. If you're going to run a foreign service and control the world, you need to support it right. That includes doing adult budget negotiations, for starters.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Tue May 07, 2013 10:37 am

Sandi wrote:What is is about is simply, the administration’s sham that al-Qaeda was on the run, Mubarak had to go, and the Arab Spring is a good thing. It was proven false when four good Americans were killed by terrorists, because the State department refused requests for increased security.

You think the President should have tried to suppress the populist uprising?
Wow.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue May 07, 2013 10:40 am

Sandi wrote: Fear of President H. Clinton? lmao... After Benghazi she will have zero chance. I will bet you ten cookies to a doughnut that she will not run.

At least you are clear about what the Benghazi "scandal" is all about.

If you get most of your news from FOX, I can see why you believe that there was a giant cover-up. Although even there, it's not exactly clear what was covered up.

The right wing is obsessed with the "main stream media" and their alleged failure to probe Benghazi. This is BS, there has been plenty of coverage the past 6 months. The reason the story doesn't resonate is that most Americans see no scandal there, just mistakes. This is not going to change.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Tue May 07, 2013 10:47 am

Sometimes it almost feels like it would be a relief to go back to the 9/11 dialogue- you know, all those warnings, what did Bush know and why didn't he do anything about it in advance. Oh, wait...just what was the party line on that, I forget....
peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Tue May 07, 2013 11:12 am

peripat wrote:just what was the party line on that, I forget....

Remember? -- it was that the attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon were spontaneous protests arising from an obscure anti-Muslim video. That was the line Bush's Secretary of State, Colin Powell, hawked to all the Sunday morning tv news shows. They had to get Bush re-elected and to do that the voters needed to forget about the threat of Islamist terrorism. Also, anyway, it was the Democrats' fault for cutting funding for the military.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue May 07, 2013 11:18 am

Right wing historical revisionism at its worst.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue May 07, 2013 11:22 am

Huckleby wrote:The right wing is obsessed with the "main stream media" and their alleged failure to probe Benghazi. This is BS, there has been plenty of coverage the past 6 months. The reason the story doesn't resonate is that most Americans see no scandal there, just mistakes. This is not going to change.

I believe that quote was from Leroy but it's obvious Sandi ascribes to it as well. :-)

Attempting to turn mistakes and underfunding into conspiracy scandals is still a Republican core tactic it seems. Some playbooks never die, as we can see from the shrill hysteria here.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue May 07, 2013 11:25 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Right wing historical revisionism at its worst.

Exactly. Dead ambassador. Assaulted, murdered and dragged through the streets after a spontaneous mob of peace-loving protestors reacted to an anti-Muslim Youtube video from a racist American who still sits in the pen. I mean, Barry n Hilly had to apologize on TV in Muslim countries about the evil video, they had to keep changing their stories as, you know, the story evolved..

And Barry had to go to Vegas the next day for a fund raiser. It was mission critical.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government