MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, October 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 67.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Benghazi

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Benghazi

Postby Stebben84 » Tue May 14, 2013 12:48 pm

Benghazi Bombshell: Leaked Emails Were Edited to Make Obama Look Bad

Whoops. Don't worry Leroy, I don't think your cut and pastes from PJ media or Drudge have any problems :roll:
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue May 14, 2013 12:54 pm

Leroy Gates wrote:Does it make a difference to you that the Obama administration lied about the motive?

Yes, it would make a difference. And I think some of the departments in the Obama administration got a little too cute in framing their talking points. Various senior officials foolishly did political spinning in an effort to defuse and delay the full story.

It is too strong IMO to say they lied. The truth was woven into their statements, it was a question of emphasis. And the notion of a cover-up is absurd, the facts were coming out all on their own, there was no opportunity to cover anything up.

The misrepresentations on the part of the right have been far more egregious. They claim the administration blamed the attacks entirely on a video-review-gone-bad, they take statements about the video out of context, etc. These are willful lies.

Now, I've answered your question, perhaps you will dare to answer mine. Since we all agreed from day 1 that extremists groups organized the attack, why are their specific motives so critical?
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue May 14, 2013 1:00 pm

Huckleby wrote:Now, I've answered your question, perhaps you will dare to answer mine. Since we all agreed from day 1 that extremists groups organized the attack, why are their specific motives so critical?

I would guess "they hate our freedom" would be enough of an explanation right? Worked for 7 years before Obama.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue May 14, 2013 1:04 pm

Donald wrote:It makes quite a bit of difference why the attack occurred, and it probably explains why there was, and still is, a bit of confusion and backtracking about why the attack occurred.

When Obama initially said it was an act of terror, that's one way of compartmentalizing a situation so you don't have to think about it. It's a typical Republican response, and one we've come to expect from politicians of both parties, but it's not a very thoughtful or productive one.

I'm sure the people attacked were in terror, but it really wasn't a typical terrorist attack with a typical terrorist objective. It didn't have the objective, apparently, of frightening the population, either in the United States, or in Libya. The political objective, if there was one, backfired, because the people in Libya rallied around the United States after the attack.

There were many armed militias in the area, and the Benghazi operation was a CIA outpost, with limited State Department function. We actually had some of these militias guarding the outpost, but they evaporated during the attack. So, the reason for the attack could be as simple as the CIA failed to follow through with a payment, and the militias gave a little demonstration of what happens when you don't follow through with a payment. We may or may not ever know the reason for the attack, because it seemed to have been a failure of a CIA operation, not a failure at State. But knowing the what, why and who of the CIA operation will be necessary to uncover why this happened.

You started out saying that knowing the motives of the attackers makes a big difference. Then you seem to be saying that their motives could be many things, and are pretty much unknowable. You offer some interesting speculation on what may have happened, but in the end, it pretty much leads nowhere.

Members of the militia group have been captured and interviewed. Some have mentioned the video. Does anybody really care? What difference does it make?
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Tue May 14, 2013 1:17 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:did you ever serve in the military or are you just a chicken hawk?

Yeah, a chicken hawk like Bill Clinton.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Tue May 14, 2013 1:23 pm

Meade wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:did you ever serve in the military or are you just a chicken hawk?

And his penis!
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Tue May 14, 2013 1:27 pm

fisticuffs wrote:I would guess "they hate our freedom" would be enough of an explanation right? Worked for 7 years before Obama.

"They hate our freedom" is just shorthand for "They hate our freedom to not submit to Islam and Sharia." But you are essentially correct about Obama's agenda including that hopeful change. And not by changing the "they hate" side of the equation.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue May 14, 2013 1:40 pm

Meade wrote:

I was also thinking of you. Draft dodger during Vietnam, hawk over the Iraq invasion. Just like Cheney.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Tue May 14, 2013 2:05 pm

I never "dodged" the draft. Unlike you, Hen V, I took it head on, put myself on the front lines, and drew enemy fire.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue May 14, 2013 2:07 pm

Meade wrote: I took it head on, put myself on the front lines, and drew enemy fire.

much like your role in this forum.

thank you for your cervix here at TDPF
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Tue May 14, 2013 2:16 pm

Ha ha. Good pun, Huck. If you like sexist puns.

But as for TDPF, if not me, Huck, who? And when I am posting on TDPF for myself, what am 'I'? And if not now, when?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue May 14, 2013 2:42 pm

Meade wrote:I never "dodged" the draft. Unlike you, Hen V, I took it head on, put myself on the front lines, and drew enemy fire.

Protesting the Vietnam War is not the same as serving in the military. But you criticize Clinton, who did the same. The inconsistencies in your arguments are manifest, but not necessarily surprising.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue May 14, 2013 2:47 pm

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue May 14, 2013 2:59 pm

That was helpful, Stebben.

Meantime, I've been trying to find out what lazer paint is.

All I've got so far is a home-improvement tool that uses a laser to guide the application of paint. Was that what Sandi's special ops guys were using up on the roof? It's described as "a spray gun attachment used to improve spray application performance and increase transfer efficiency while decreasing costs, materials and air emissions..."

Good to know, eh? You can order one -- anyone can order one -- if you click the link.

I also found something that guides the painting of stripes on roads, but that's a little heavy to drive on a roof.

I am so glad the Benghazi story is being spun by such a reality-oriented team.
"They hate our freedom" is just shorthand for "They hate our freedom to not submit to Islam and Sharia."

Good to know it's only shorthand, because if it was an actual full length statement I'd be tempted to ask why they're so busy trying to spread Islam and Sharia if they hate it so much.

What an odd perspective on human motivation. Like, if a person totally hates some political viewpoint you can be sure he'd leave his family and town, join a terrorist cell, devote all his energy, and possibly give his life to promote and spread it. Right? I mean, people do that every. single. day.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Tue May 14, 2013 3:18 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Protesting the Vietnam War is not the same as serving in the military.

Everyone who serves in the military is automatically a hawk and everyone who doesn't is a chicken?

Henry, we know that you dodged the draft and dodged taking a principled stand against an illegal immoral war by enlisting in the Navy during the American War in Vietnam. Some other young man was probably drafted in your place and died or was wounded in combat in a rice paddy instead of you. I can understand how that fact has likely haunted your conscience for over 40 years now. If it helps to go around calling people "chickenhawk" whenever you find someone who you judge to be your moral inferior, well, okay (I suppose). But really - do try to learn to forgive yourself. The rest of us have already forgiven you and, if you seek Jesus, I'm pretty sure He will forgive you as well.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government