MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Sunday, September 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 56.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

97% Scientist Consensus: global warming is man-made

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: 97% Scientist Consensus: global warming is man-made

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:25 pm

Sandi wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:So now your claiming that your denials are fact based?

No they are science based. Do you know the difference?

As if you know anything about science. Ever take (and pass) a high school science course before you dropped out?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:56 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
Sandi wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:So now your claiming that your denials are fact based?

No they are science based. Do you know the difference?

As if you know anything about science. Ever take (and pass) a high school science course before you dropped out?

Yes, have you? ( and wouldn't it be nicer to debate rather than gotchas? )
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:26 pm

My graduate degree diploma from UW reads master of science.

Your denial of AGW is based on your political beliefs, not on science.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:29 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:My graduate degree diploma from UW reads master of science.

What scientific discipline would that be Henry?
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:43 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:What scientific discipline would that be Henry?

Not a STEM field, but in the Studies of Behavior Disabilities. My MS coursework included graduate level statistics and research methodologies. I also was a nuclear engineering major for a couple years as an undergraduate before the Vietnam War and my military service changed my priorities.

So do you think Sandi's criticism of AGW is science based or mere political bias?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:50 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:My graduate degree diploma from UW reads master of science.

Henry, this is childish. It really doesn't matter what background Sandi has. You don't need a PhD to know that the comments section of anything (Yahoo! News, Popular Science, NPR,...) is a cesspool of stupid.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:55 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
Francis Di Domizio wrote:What scientific discipline would that be Henry?

Not a STEM field, but in the Studies of Behavior Disabilities. My MS coursework included graduate level statistics and research methodologies. I also was a nuclear engineering major for a couple years as an undergraduate before the Vietnam War and my military service changed my priorities.

So do you think Sandi's criticism of AGW is science based or mere political bias?

Oh, I 100% agree with you, but given I have a Bachelors of Science in Poli Sci and Computer Science, I thought claiming a MS as proof of your scientific superiority seemed a bit of stretch.

Plus, really, you are trying to argue science/facts with Sandi?
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bludgeon » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:24 pm

I think most climate science research is like voodoo witch doctor stuff. Reading tree rings and trying to predict temperatures based on whatever muck they dig out of the ice I don't really call it science. More like trying to carbon date a strand of hair to tell you what flavor ice cream King Tut liked.

Climate science has become a religion of reading off a list of "records", ignoring 100+ years of diverging recording methods over significant spans of a record that is both incomplete and faulty (and a completely blank record prior to that); then making blanket assumptions about critical historical data, and declaring doom on the basis of them. We're talking a Planet of the Apes mentality here. I think they are just full of shit they don't know half what they claim to know.

They're like the scientists who work for the poultry industry that tell you eggs are good for you.

In reality they have a bare understanding of what a 4.5 billion year old planet has been like for the last 50 years or so. So what do they know about what kind of weather is normal? Who's to say.

AGW cultists don't like having to acknowledge there is serious doubt about their fervent beliefs. It detracts from the zeal of their faith based ideology. For warmists, it's like accidentally picturing your mother in law right before you're about to sublimate, like all that mental masturbation was for nothing and only resulted in a ruined orgasm.

Conservatives, if you want to play with house money, by all means keep humoring them and yourselves with these nonsensical arguments about whose tea leaves are better documented. Just keep in mind, you own the box but they own the factory.

Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:17 pm

Bludge, no way am I getting sucked into trying to discuss science in general or the climate in particular with you. We've been down that road before and you are obviously unwilling to learn. But what the fuck is this:

Bludgeon wrote:They're like the scientists who work for the poultry industry that tell you eggs are good for you.

Uh... Eggs are good for you. Great source of protein, vitamin A, potassium, and folic acid, and that's just for starters.

I'd ask where you get your information from, but you don't seem to actually have any. You seem content to simply disagre with science. So please return to complaining about radio or something else where facts are irrelevant and only opinions matter. Because anything having to do with reality seems to be difficult for you.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:26 pm

Bludgeon wrote:
They're like the scientists who work for the poultry industry that tell you eggs are good for you.

Prof. Wagstaff
Uh... Eggs are good for you. Great source of protein, vitamin A, potassium, and folic acid, and that's just for starters.

I'd ask where you get your information from, but you don't seem to actually have any.

That really went over your head? Do you think the scientist would keep his job if he tells you eggs are bad for you?
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:33 pm

Ummm... not to start a total hijack, but take another look at the eggs. They're not for everyone.

The Canadian Journal of Cardiology (is that respectable enough for ya?):
Although some studies showed no harm from consumption of eggs in healthy people, this outcome may have been due to lack of power to detect clinically relevant increases in a low-risk population. Moreover, the same studies showed that among participants who became diabetic during observation, consumption of one egg a day doubled their risk compared with less than one egg a week.

Patients at risk of cardiovascular disease should limit their intake of cholesterol. Stopping the consumption of egg yolks after a stroke or myocardial infarction would be like quitting smoking after a diagnosis of lung cancer: a necessary action, but late.

I pretty much eat zero eggs, though I'm not in a risk group. They aren't hard to avoid.

The Canadians have some words about egg-industry-financed research, too.

Back to topic.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bludgeon » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:41 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Bludge, no way am I getting sucked into trying to discuss science in general or the climate in particular with you. We've been down that road before and...

Yes, I do recall your flailing attempts. And your futile point is to champion the ideological notion that the theory of AGW is without any serious doubt when in fact there are billions of years of valuable data that we've got no credible account for; not credible to the extent of establishing wild, reactionary claims about the end of the world. Not only is there serious doubt, there's almost no serious proof. We have no idea what the daily/yearly ice levels, sea levels, temperature levels, rainbow levels, care bear levels, or any other anthropormorphized tell-tale sign that the gods are angry with us, for century upon century upon millennium. Nevertheless by all means continue on with your blind support for closed-book clientel science and the never-ending stream of wild predictions. Nothing says "settled science" like a never ending cavalcade of apocalyptic prognostications, after all.

Unlike fundamental religiosity, there's doubt: plenty of it.

Prof Wagstaff wrote:Uh... Eggs are good for you. Great source of protein, vitamin A, potassium, and folic acid, and that's just for starters.

1 egg containts 62% of all the cholesterol you should have for the whole day. Two eggs are too much, it's ridiculous. Anybody with cholesterol issues should not eat them. If people with cholesterol issues shouldn't eat them, that pretty much means they're bad for you.
Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bludgeon » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:48 pm

snoqueen wrote:The Canadians have some words about egg-industry-financed research, too.

Back to topic.

Obviously to your mild chagrin I liked your whole post there but found this sentence instructive because it brings about a necessary phrase: Industry-Financed Research.

Say it with me again: Industry Financed Research. Translation: slanted research. Industry financed researchers are the kind who are credibly lampooned as witch-doctors.

Now focus on the point here. Point being, whatever your take on climate change or politics, anytime an individual on one side finds his or herself automatically accepting at face value the slanted work of industry financed science, the time has come to reexamine.

Hand in hand are interest group driven science, politically (power) driven science, and financially beholden science.

My skepticism is well established. My suggestion simply is that skepticism is warranted, and by all means healthy.
Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:17 pm

Industry financed research -- along with industry financed efforts to lead public opinion and influence legislation -- are familiar functions of both the coal industry and gun manufacturers. Are you suggesting this is where we should be looking for information and guidance?

Do you not think the coal industry, for instance, has a financial interest in minimizing public objections toward coal-generated energy, while at the same time suppressing and thwarting growth of solar and other renewables? Would it not help the coal industry to have people believe coal was harmless to the environment and climate change was illusory?

What point were you trying to make here? That the time has come to re examine industry-backed climate propaganda? If so I agree.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:55 pm

snoqueen wrote:Ummm... not to start a total hijack

Oh PLEASE hijack this inanity. I would so much rather talk about eggs with you than climate science with Sandi and Bludgeon.

snoqueen wrote:take another look at the eggs. They're not for everyone.
No, they're not. But that's not to say they don't have health benefits too. And anyone who gets even the most basic healthcare can discuss this with their doctor. I have done exactly that -- just today, in fact. I eat probably 4 eggs per week on average. My doc was not the least bit concerned. And frankly, I do have a family history of heart and cholesterol issues. I've simply been managing this in other ways. I eat lots of fish, nuts, and olive oil, all of which help reduce cholesterol. Truth is, my issue in the past has never been with bad cholesterol, it's been too little of the good stuff. (If you'd like, I can let you know if I need to revise this opinion later this week when I get my blood test results back.)

snoqueen wrote:Back to topic.
Aw... do we have to?
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government