MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Sunday, September 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 56.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Payback on Disaster Relief?

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Payback on Disaster Relief?

Postby david cohen » Tue May 21, 2013 10:25 am

My first thought was how horrific this damage is...my second thought was how will Pat Robertson explain this?
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Tue May 21, 2013 10:30 am

barney wrote:
snoqueen wrote:I am going to be very interested to see how these ultra conservative states handle the tornado relief issue.

And here we go.....
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/05/21/oklahoma-sen-coburn-tornado-relief-funds-must-be-offset-with-spending-cuts/

Yup. And so Coburn should get to tell us which funds going to his state will be offset dollar for dollar for the money spent in this disaster. My guess is Coburn will be looking to raid funds going to black people or tribes so the good white people who vote for his ass can get theirs.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue May 21, 2013 10:37 am

Given that lots of Medicaid and SS recipients are whites, I'm not sure this is all a race thing. Part of it is an inability to understand the needs or viewpoint of anybody different from himself. For example, if he's never been without money and had to go without a necessary medication, then the whole issue is incomprehensible to him and, basically, is made up or nonexistent.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Tue May 21, 2013 10:41 am

snoqueen wrote:...I am going to be very interested to see how these ultra conservative states handle the tornado relief issue. Watching Texas decide their industrial safety programs were just fine after the fertilizer plant blew up was pretty enlightening. Nobody down there seems to think there was any problem at all. I'd describe it as some kind of passivity or fatalism: "Shit happens and we clean up afterward but don't make any effort to head off the next predictable shitstorm."

Yup. This lack of long-term foresight is practically a definition of the human condition, and it served us well before we developed huge industrial facilities, and global disturbing activities. Still, conservatives seem to be more myopic than the general population. Some conservatives, of course, get paid well to be myopic.

My experience in the West was similar. It's as if having a lot of wide open space allows fatalism to expand to fit the landscape.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue May 21, 2013 10:52 am

david cohen wrote:...how will Pat Robertson explain this?

By blaming the victims, natch.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Tue May 21, 2013 2:01 pm

OK's awesome senatorial team:

In 2011, both senators opposed legislation that would have granted necessary funding for FEMA when the agency was set to run out of money. Sending the funds to FEMA would have been "unconscionable," Coburn said at the time.

As long as disasters affect other people. But:

A year later, in 2008, Inhofe lauded the fact that emergency relief from the Department of Housing and Urban Development would be given to 24 Oklahoma counties. "The impact of severe weather has been truly devastating to many Oklahoma communities across the state. I am pleased that the people whose lives have been affected by disastrous weather are getting much-needed federal assistance," he said at the time.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/2 ... 09234.html
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to National Politics & Government