MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, January 28, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 24.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Massive spying: through a Prism, darkly

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Massive spying: through a Prism, darkly

Postby snoqueen » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:12 am

Makes me wonder if all this contracting and outsourcing has turned into a security problem by itself. Would security be better if only NSA employees worked on the data?

I don't know, I'm just asking. At least we haven't contracted the work out to, say, India.

At least not as far as we know now.

On second thought, contracting it offshore might be safer because the workers out there probably don't care what the US is doing with regard to spying on its own citizens, so they wouldn't be as inclined to make a big statement by releasing classified documents.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:32 am

snoqueen wrote:On second thought, contracting it offshore might be safer because the workers out there probably don't care what the US is doing with regard to spying on its own citizens, so they wouldn't be as inclined to make a big statement by releasing classified documents.

Don't trust Americans. They're too inclined to make big treasonous statements.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby manoletters » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:12 pm

Best of luck to you, Edward Snowden. I can't thank you enough for the incredible public service you've done on behalf of all conscious Americans, and citizens of the world. Not to say anything of your courage. Did they ever call you "Fast Eddie" in High School? Run, Eddie, RUN!
http://www.politico.com/story/2013/06/e ... 92477.html
manoletters
Forum Addict

Postby Sandi » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:13 pm

Rasmussen Reports

Fifty-seven percent (57%) of voters nationwide believe it is likely the NSA data will be used by other government agencies to harass political opponents. A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey shows that just 30% consider it unlikely and 14% are not sure. (To see survey question wording, click here.)

Myself, I am not as concerned about the NSA as I am about the IRS running the major part of Obamacare.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:43 pm

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:45 pm

It is not just the govt spying.

Target sounds like they can know you are pregnant before you do based on your buying patterns.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/19/magaz ... abits.html

One more reason to use cash and never use a loyalty card.

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:47 pm

Did you seriously just discover that story?
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:25 pm

So, China just lets him walk, Ecuador will probably take him in.

If he does make it to asylum in Ecuador, and it looks like he will, it will send a message to others who are fighting their consciences because they don't want to end up like Bradley Manning.

Now there's a place they can go. If they can make it to Ecuador first, before they put their info on Wikileaks, there's a good chance they won't spend their lives behind bars.

Can't imagine the CIA and Homeland are happy with that thought.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:30 pm

rabble wrote:Now there's a place they can go. If they can make it to Ecuador first, before they put their info on Wikileaks, there's a good chance they won't spend their lives behind bars.

unless of course they try reporting the news in Ecuador

I'm actually curious why Asange or Snowden think relocating to Ecuador will put them beyond the reach of the US.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:20 pm

Snowden has revealed little that wasn't known or at least suspected by anyone paying attention.
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:31 pm

I agree. I think he's doing this for attention status more than the well being of US citizens.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:28 pm

I think you're both right. I think Francis is wrong, though. I don't believe the US has the reach it used to have, especially when it's just somebody who embarrassed them in a world where it's one US embarrassment after another.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:53 am

I hope your right Rabble, and he may very well be safe from being brought to trial in the US. I'm not entirely certain that means he is safe from US reprisal.

I agree with Stella that Snowden released nothing that shouldn't have been suspected at the very least, but realistically a large portion of this country really needed it's nose rubbed in the facts. Even with the evidence out in the open way too many people don't seem to care.

I have a hard time buying that Snowden threw his whole life away just because he wanted attention. I don't think he dislikes the attention, but that doesn't mean his motivation was getting attention. He had to know that most of the attention would be of the negative variety.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:28 am

Francis Di Domizio wrote: Even with the evidence out in the open way too many people don't seem to care.

And if they do care enough to take a look, the message being pumped out there is that a whistle-blower and a traitor are one and the same.
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:37 am

Francis Di Domizio wrote:I have a hard time buying that Snowden threw his whole life away just because he wanted attention. I don't think he dislikes the attention, but that doesn't mean his motivation was getting attention. He had to know that most of the attention would be of the negative variety.

Upon consideration, I think you have a point. He's smart enough to know the attention won't last nearly as long as the consequences.

We'll see whether Ecuador turns him over or not, but what I see is chinks in the US armor starting to show. If Ecuador gets away with this, other countries will start telling the US "You don't want us to behave like that, do you? Let's discuss this trade agreement some more."
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government