MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, July 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 73.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Massive spying: through a Prism, darkly

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Massive spying: through a Prism, darkly

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:00 pm

Edward Snowden Asks For Political Asylum In Russia: Report

But...

Russia's President Vladimir Putin says Snowden will have to stop leaking U.S. secrets if he wants to get asylum in Russia, but adds that Snowden has no plan to quit doing so.

What I don't understand is this trickle of information Snowden has. Is there some benefit to not releasing it all at once? My only thought is that it keeps it in the news, but I don't think that's doing any good at this point. Unless he stops giving up info, it looks like he might be screwed. He's a bit of a hot potato that countries seem to be throwing around at this point.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:17 pm

Stebben84 wrote:What I don't understand is this trickle of information Snowden has. Is there some benefit to not releasing it all at once? My only thought is that it keeps it in the news, but I don't think that's doing any good at this point. Unless he stops giving up info, it looks like he might be screwed. He's a bit of a hot potato that countries seem to be throwing around at this point.

Yesterday I might have thought he's probably holding some of the nastier stuff back as a insurance policy, but I'm not sure what he could have that is worse then the NSA spying on NATO allies.

I do think he still has a large amount of information held in reserve, so I doubt he's in any danger of running out of chips at this point. It does look like that Ecuador is getting cold feet, so his options as far as a place to go may be running out.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:56 pm

john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:55 pm

Stebben84 wrote:What I don't understand is this trickle of information Snowden has. Is there some benefit to not releasing it all at once? My only thought is that it keeps it in the news, but I don't think that's doing any good at this point.

Why would the news media even report on Snowden's insignificant leaks? If he was really a threat he would have leaked something unknown to some minor news source, not the Guardian or Post. Wikileaks is CIA.
Last edited by Stella_Guru on Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:59 pm

Now there's a thought.

We won't know the whole story here for at least 50 years, if then. There's so much going on behind the scenes you could speculate all night.

Whatever happened to the Iceland option? Moscow isn't all that far from Iceland, by air.

I think Russia believes it's got a good thing going holding Snowden and they'll play it for all it's worth. He should never have gone there.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:16 pm

Looks like Snowden's gone from knocking on doors to three possible offers. And one marriage proposal that I know of. If I was him I would at least respond.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:50 pm

Here is an interesting article about Venezuela.

http://boingboing.net/2013/07/08/snowde ... -biza.html

The Venezuelan government's offer of "humanitarian asylum" to Edward Snowden rang hollow to most Venezuelans, who are by now used to the government spying on opposition leaders, journalists and even their own loyalists. Not only does the government routinely record their phone conversations, it broadcasts them on government-owned TV channels.

If he thought spying was bad in the US...
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:25 am

Anyone catch this article?

For secretive surveillance court, rare scrutiny in wake of NSA leaks

"The public is getting a peek into the little-known workings of a powerful and mostly invisible government entity. And it is seeing a court whose secret rulings have in effect created a body of law separate from the one on the books — one that gives U.S. spy agencies the authority to collect bulk information about Americans’ medical care, firearms purchases, credit card usage and other interactions with business and commerce, according to Sen. Ron Wyden (D-Ore.).

“The government can get virtually anything,” said Wyden, who as a member of the Senate Intelligence Committee is allowed to read many of the court’s classified rulings. “Health, guns, credit cards — my reading is not what has been done, it’s what can be done.”

more...

"Critics, including some with knowledge of the court’s internal operations, say the court has undergone a disturbing shift. It was created in 1978 to handle routine surveillance warrants, but these critics say it is now issuing complex, classified, Supreme Court-style rulings that are quietly expanding the government’s reach into the private lives of unwitting Americans."

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2013 ... ance-court
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:09 pm

The Washington Post has revealed that the NSA uses another system, called Upstream, besides Prism.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:38 pm

I think Snowden might be screwed. I personally am pulling for him to make it out although I have no idea how he's gonna do it.

Aviation experts say that even if Snowden accepts the tentative offers of Venezuela, Nicaragua or Bolivia to give him shelter, it’s virtually impossible to chart a flight plan to those nations that doesn’t include traveling over or refueling in a U.S.-friendly country that could demand inspection of the plane – and detain him.

Read more here: http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2013/07/10/1 ... d7ep2Q6XKA#storylink=cpy
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:43 pm

Very large bag, labled Diplomatic Pouch
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:05 pm

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:16 pm

NSA Phone Snooping Cannot Be Challenged in Court, Feds Say

Also the ACLU has no standing to sue:
The government said that, despite it scooping up telephony metadata from “certain telecommunication service providers,” it only queried the database using “300 unique identifiers” searching for terrorist activity last year under a standard of “reasonable, articulable suspicion.” Because the ACLU cannot prove that any of its employees were surveilled under the program, they have no right to sue under a legal concept known as standing.

Of course since the 300 unique identifiers are probably classified to high hell, it would be impossible for anyone to say that the government was looking at their personal conversations.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:30 pm

How come Snowden can't leave by boat? Russia has seaports open at this time of year. Could he get all the way to his South American destination via international waters?
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:05 pm

snoqueen wrote:How come Snowden can't leave by boat? Russia has seaports open at this time of year. Could he get all the way to his South American destination via international waters?

Once he's actually able to leave the international terminal, I don't think there is any reason why he couldn't take a boat. Not directly to Bolivia obviously, but either Venezuela or Nicaragua. However I'm not sure what international law says regarding making an arrest in international waters aboard a foreign flagged ship. Climbing on a boat could be an open invitation for the US navy sieze him.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government