MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, November 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 13.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

NSA spying on everyone, everything

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: NSA spying on everyone, everything

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:03 am

wack wack wrote:Coupla questions:

1) NBC is reporting that the NSA is considering ending monitoring of phone calls in the United States. Does anyone believe this will ever happen?

Consider it? sure...
NSA Lawyer: Hmmm, you guys ever wonder if we should stop doing this?
NSA Analyst:.... crap you had me going for second
NSA Lawyer & Analyst: ha ha ha ha ha

wack wack wrote:2) Defenders of the NSA program claim several... no, dozens... no, more than 50!!! terrorist plots have been disrupted due to NSA monitoring. Does anyone believe this?

The exact number is probably lower then 50, but it didn't show some results they probably wouldn't keep doing it. Unless of course they really wanted to. Or liked knowing people's secrets. Or got a power trip from it...

honestly though, with enough data processing power it's an effective enough method that I would be more shocked if it hadn't been useful in disrupting some planned attacks.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:14 am

Francis Di Domizio wrote:The exact number is probably lower then 50, but it didn't show some results they probably wouldn't keep doing it.

I don't think success has anything to do with its continuance. They can so they do. This cat is out of the bag and will never go away.

Much like firearms, where the only way to fix all our problems would be to make sure they were never invented in the first place, this cannot be undone. Technology will continue to advance and monitoring will only become more invasive, not less.

Especially as long as politicians talk out of both sides of their mouths, and there's nary a one who isn't on this issue.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:54 am

The NY Times is reporting that the NSA isn't just spying, its making up its own (sekrit!) legal system.
the court has taken on a much more expansive role by regularly assessing broad constitutional questions and establishing important judicial precedents, with almost no public scrutiny,
Unlike the Supreme Court, the FISA court hears from only one side in the case — the government — and its findings are almost never made public.
Geoffrey R. Stone, a professor of constitutional law at the University of Chicago, said he was troubled by the idea that the court is creating a significant body of law without hearing from anyone outside the government, forgoing the adversarial system that is a staple of the American justice system. “That whole notion is missing in this process,” he said.

Why does Prof. Stone hate the government so much? what does he have to hide? I'm sure the NSA is investigating.

Charles Pierce wrote: And this is the Snowden Effect in action. Without the revelations, the president would not have made the preposterous public claim that the rubber-stamp FISA court qualified as "oversight" by any but the most laughable definition. There then would not have been the pushback against that silliness, and then there would not have been the FISA court itself responding that it was not a rubber stamp which, I am sure, is part of what intrigued the Times enought to produce this story which brings us all the way back around to how preposterous the president's original claim was.

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/politics/T ... nowdenland
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:16 pm

Feds tell Web firms to turn over user account passwords

Secret demands mark escalation in Internet surveillance by the federal government through gaining access to user passwords, which are typically stored in encrypted form

The U.S. government has demanded that major Internet companies divulge users' stored passwords, according to two industry sources familiar with these orders, which represent an escalation in surveillance techniques that has not previously been disclosed.

If the government is able to determine a person's password, which is typically stored in encrypted form, the credential could be used to log in to an account to peruse confidential correspondence or even impersonate the user. Obtaining it also would aid in deciphering encrypted devices in situations where passwords are reused.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57595 ... passwords/
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby alpuz » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:08 pm

If you have nothing to hide, your have nothing to be worried about. Ey, Ned?

Did you miss this during the last decade? If so, where were you?
alpuz

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:08 am

alpuz wrote:If you have nothing to hide, your have nothing to be worried about. Ey, Ned?

The Chicago Gang has taken it to a whole new level. Wait 'til they get a hold of your medical records. Then the fun will really start.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:26 am

Ned Flanders wrote:
alpuz wrote:If you have nothing to hide, your have nothing to be worried about. Ey, Ned?

The Chicago Gang has taken it to a whole new level. Wait 'til they get a hold of your medical records. Then the fun will really start.

I could see why you would want to keep your blood tests and psych evals private
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:29 am

Francis Di Domizio wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:

Sperm count too.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby manoletters » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:07 pm

Yep. It's true. The NSA spies on (nearly) everyone, everything:
"'I, sitting at my desk,' said Snowden, could 'wiretap anyone, from you or your accountant, to a federal judge or even the president, if I had a personal email'".
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/j ... nline-data
manoletters
Forum Addict

Postby alpuz » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:51 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:

heh.
alpuz

Postby manoletters » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:26 pm

Such "ingratitude" on "Fast Eddie's" part, especially after Eric Holder "promised" not to torture or kill him, for a change. And we all know how American officials always keep their word, hardee har har! So personally, I LIKE this. On Facebook, and here as well. I hereby nominate Edward Snowden for the Nobel Peace Prize. Unlike Commander-in-Chief Obama, it is entirely well-deserved in this case.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/a ... sappointed
manoletters
Forum Addict

Postby Sandi » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:56 pm

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/national ... Q.facebook

So how does the government know what we google if they don't actually read the data?
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby manoletters » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:31 pm

And as author of "The Puzzle Palace" and "Body of Evidence," among other works on the NSA, James Bamford is in a position to know:
http://www.zcommunications.org/they-kno ... es-bamford
manoletters
Forum Addict

Postby manoletters » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:56 pm

It's understandably hard for many Liberals, who have been notably complicit, to voice their opposition to NSA spying.
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... tes-silent
manoletters
Forum Addict

Postby wack wack » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:06 pm

Opposition is futile. Relax, enjoy it.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government