MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, March 2, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 15.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

NSA spying on everyone, everything

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: NSA spying on everyone, everything

Postby snoqueen » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:11 pm

manoletters wrote:Such "ingratitude" on "Fast Eddie's" part, especially after Eric Holder "promised" not to torture or kill him, for a change. And we all know how American officials always keep their word, hardee har har! So personally, I LIKE this. On Facebook, and here as well. I hereby nominate Edward Snowden for the Nobel Peace Prize. Unlike Commander-in-Chief Obama, it is entirely well-deserved in this case.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/a ... sappointed

I'm just sitting back and enjoying the whole show. Legalities aside, I think Snowden did the country and did us all a favor. I am glad we know a little more about what's going on, and I think we should have known earlier. I have no illusions we'll stop doing any of this stuff -- it'll just get buried and renamed. I'd like to see more discussion about the rights of individuals to know what's being done with their communications, and about boundaries such as the ones between personal info, corporate info, and government info.

Russia is having a fine time pretending they're a sanctuary for dissidents and pissing off the US, which is their specialty anyway. The US is being made to look silly because we make such a big deal out of human rights and, over and over, are shown to disregard them. On this one, we look like a bully and nobody believes the promises to take good care of ES. The whole thing is not pretty and the Obama administration, which rarely summons enough energy to look vindictive, looks vindictive.

We the public don't have to take sides (neither side is particularly appealing, and nobody cares what we think anyway). We might as well just watch the show.

I am amused by the cynicism of the Italian public regarding their government, and when we get news like this it looks like the US is heading the same direction.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:53 am

Charles Pierce wrote:And then, over the weekend, everybody decided to go completely crazy.

Pierce has been following the "The Snowden Effect" pretty closely.

The freakout has spread to England:
security officials in the UK detained the partner of Glenn Greenwald for the offense, apparently, of being the partner of Glenn Greenwald. Worse, he was detained under an "anti-terrorism" statute.

And now we learn that 'shadowy Whitehall figures' forced the Guardian Newspaper to destroy a computer.
I explained that we could not research and report on this subject if we complied with this request. The man from Whitehall looked mystified. "You've had your debate. There's no need to write any more."

ha-ha, silly 'journalist' - you can only write about what the government tells you! Didn't you read Mr. Orwell's handbook?
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:52 am

If you're looking for an in-depth look Mr. Snowden's revelations and its aftermath, check out emptywheel.net.

How do they justify spying on, for example, Brazil's oil company?
Now the second paragraph. James Clapper, too cute by half, asserts, spying on financial information,
Clapper wrote: could provide the United States and our allies early warning of international financial crises which could negatively impact the global economy

Hahahahahaha! Oh my word! Hahahaha. I mean, sure, the US needs to know of pending financial crises, in the same way it wants to know what the actual versus claimed petroleum reserves in the world are (and those are, of course, closely related issues). But with this claim, Clapper suggests the US would actually recognize a financial crisis and do something about it.

- See more at: http://www.emptywheel.net/2013/09/09/ja ... wDu10.dpuf
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:09 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:
alpuz wrote:If you have nothing to hide, your have nothing to be worried about. Ey, Ned?

Did you miss this during the last decade? If so, where were you?

The Chicago Gang has taken it to a whole new level.

Your buddy, Dick Cheney, disagrees with you.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:49 pm

It isn't just the NSA. Many local police departments are also spying on cell phone conversations.

Law enforcement using methods from NSA playbook
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:14 am

Slightly off-topic, but here is the "mission patch" for a recent satellite launch involving an NRO (national reconnaissance office) spy satellite:

I think the octopus is kind of cute, actually. But I suspect fennel is drooling.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cameron Connors » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:46 am

While Wisconsin’s efforts pale in comparison to the Golden State’s, it does suggest that the Wisconsin’s progressives and tea partiers can find some common ground amid Scott Walker’s controversial governorship.

Hey, bipartisanship on something. Even the the Guv doesn't like spying:
http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/inside ... e-tracking

Days later, at the National Governors Association summit in Milwaukee, Walker hedged, telling the Washington Post, “I don’t know that you could put me in either camp [on privacy], precisely.”

Oh...never mind.
Cameron Connors

Postby rabble » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:58 am

Indiana State Police tracking cellphones — but won't say how or why
This year, the Indiana State Police paid $373,995 for a device that law enforcement personnel have described as a powerful tool in the fight against crime and terrorism.

It could allow investigators in a surveillance vehicle to park in a crowded area and track the movements of anyone nearby with a cellphone and capture the numbers of people's incoming and outgoing calls and text messages.

The above is called a "stingray" and basically is a suitcase that pretends to be a cell tower and gathers everything from the phones that use it.

But officials at Indiana's largest police agency aren't saying what they do with the technology; they're mum on whose data they've collected so far; and they're not talking about what steps they take to safeguard the data.

Citing concerns that releasing any information would endanger public safety by hindering the agency's ability to fight crime and combat terrorism, they won't even say whether they ask a judge for a search warrant before they turn the equipment on.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:33 pm

The government's once-secret program of collecting domestic telephone communication records of Americans was ruled unconstitutional Monday by a federal court.

The judge staying his ruling pending an appeal.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:32 am

The BBC reports that the NSA (and British spy agencies) even hack into Angry Birds to get info on those who use that app.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:51 am

Henry Vilas wrote:The BBC reports that the NSA (and British spy agencies) even hack into Angry Birds to get info on those who use that app.

Well, but that's entirely reasonable. Some of those birds blow themselves up just get at the pigs--obviously meant as training for iOS-based Islamo-fascist terrorists.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:12 pm

The latest "breakthrough" in government surveillance technology: the Persistent Surveillance System.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:52 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:The latest "breakthrough" in government surveillance technology: the Persistent Surveillance System.

SNOWjob. The objective here is to manipulate the vast majority of controlled sheeple into self-policing, leaving a small group of citizens that will be closely watched. One of the oldest tricks in history.
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:55 pm

Of course, it could be worse.

From Sochi:
We have surveillance video from the hotels that shows people turn on the showers, direct the nozzle at the wall and then leave the room for the whole day.

Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Kozak
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:22 pm

Some people want to use the Snowden issue to criminalize journalism:
A thief selling stolen material is a thief," House Intelligence Committee Chairman Mike Rogers (R-Mich)

The 'thief' here means any journalist who is 'selling' the Snowden documents. And 'selling' means working as a journalist.

Charles Pierce wrote:If Rogers is arguing that Glenn Greenwald is "fencing stolen material" by providing them to a newspaper and, thereafter, drawing a salary, then we've moved into a surreal world of First Amendment law.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government