MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, July 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 73.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

The Pope is a gay

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: The Pope is a gay

Postby Huckleby » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:47 pm

peripat wrote:Not sure it is modernizing as much as just trying to separate from the religious right, ordination of women is still "off the table" for example.

I read between the lines and see Pope Francis as a serious reformer.

Now, it's true that every Catholic priests and religious analysts concludes their interpretation of the pope with "no change in doctrine has been made. It's all a question of tone."

Well, the pope is undermining that doctrine by suggesting it is unimportant. He is laying the groundwork to topple some unsustainable positions of the church. BTW, I don't think that includes abortion, I don't expect any change there in the next millennium.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Re: The Pope is a gay

Postby Average Joe » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:47 am

He did say the he has never been a right winger. I hope he lives and serves long enough to replace some of the ultra conservative bishops and cardinals that his two predecessors installed with ones who have compassionate agendas. He can start with Morlino. Then you might see some change in the church. I've sworn I would never go back to the church, this guy has at least got me thinking...maybe. Not yet, but maybe.
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to National Politics & Government