MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, December 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 27.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Dec. 1: Is The ACA Website Fixed?

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Dec. 1: Is The ACA Website Fixed?

Postby snoqueen » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:13 pm

Sandi, your people have screamed for too long about way too little: Benghazi, the IRS, voter fraud, you name it. None of it amounted to a hill of beans.

So excuse me if I ignore them one more time. Tell Congress to have an investigation, OK?
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:38 pm

snoqueen wrote:Sandi, your people have screamed for too long about way too little: Benghazi, the IRS, voter fraud, you name it. None of it amounted to a hill of beans.

So excuse me if I ignore them one more time. Tell Congress to have an investigation, OK?

Sno, David Kennedy isn't "my people", he is CEO of TrustedSec, a security consult service that testified before congress.

What don't amount to a hill of beans is or near off-topic rants.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:15 pm

You can play this all day, but Jeffery Carr, another noted security expert questions Kennedy's conclusions, & calls his actions unethical
http://jeffreycarr.blogspot.com/2013/11 ... perts.html
Not that hard to find an expert who will support whatever opinion you want supported
peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:25 pm

peripat wrote:You can play this all day, but Jeffery Carr, another noted security expert questions Kennedy's conclusions, & calls his actions unethical
http://jeffreycarr.blogspot.com/2013/11 ... perts.html
Not that hard to find an expert who will support whatever opinion you want supported

Jeff Carr is a liar. David Kennedy never said the site "had already been hacked," he said it could have already been hacked.

In fact a google of "had already been hacked" + "obamacare" only brings up 2 results, two of them to Jeff Carr's site, and one to a wingding site that has nothing to do with obamacare. Your source is shaky at best.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rich Schultz » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:45 pm

Google

Obama care security
About 637,000,000 results (0.34 seconds)

ACA security
About 77,600,000 results (0.20 seconds)

"No security ever built into Obamacare site: Hacker - CNBC.com
??
www.cnbc.com/id/101225308
7 days ago
It could take a year to secure the risk of "high exposures" of personal information on the federal Obamacare ...
Poor security on Obamacare site could sacrifice private info | PCWorld
www.pcworld.com/.../poor-security-on-ob ... rifice-p...?
6 days ago - There are many website issues surrounding Obamacare, but one could compromise our personal data.

Security hole found in Obamacare website - Oct. 29, 2013

money.cnn.com/2013/10/29/technology/obamacare-security/?
by Jose Pagliery - in 130 Google+ circles
Oct 29, 2013 - Until last week, clumsy computer coding on Healthcare.gov meant that someone could easily gain partial access to your account on the ...

7 days ago - MONTPELIER, Vt. (AP) — Officials overseeing the Vermont Health Connect website confirmed Friday there was a security breach on the …

Departing Obamacare security official didn't sign off on site launch ...
www.cbsnews.com/.../departing-obamacare ... dnt-sign-o…?"
Rich Schultz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:08 pm

It's kinda fun watching Republicans/conservatives/neocons brag about sabotaging Nixon/Romney/Newt/Heritage Foundation care because Obama and the Democrats passed it...

Don't worry kids, Obama has it covered...

http://www.occupydemocrats.com/vermont- ... ple-video/

There is yet another provision in the Affordable Care Act that can open the door for states to institute their own single-payer healthcare system...

... Vermont decided to take it a step further by setting up their very own single payer system.

The slogan of the program: Everybody in, nobody out.

The program will be fully operational by 2017, and will be funded through Medicare, Medicaid, federal money for the ACA given to Vermont, and a slight increase in taxes. In exchange, there will be no more premiums, deductibles, copay’s, hospital bills or anything else aimed at making insurance companies a profit. Further, all hospitals and healthcare providers will now be nonprofit.
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rich Schultz » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:45 pm

And all the doctors will be in New Hampshire.
Rich Schultz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:42 am

Rich Schultz wrote:And all the doctors will be in New Hampshire.

You besmirch the good people of Vermont. Not everyone is utterly profit driven, and I am not acceding anything regarding future doctor incomes.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:10 am

Sandi wrote:I still can't find the actual testimony before congress, but here is security expert David Kennedy, CEO of the security consultancy TrustedSec, who did testified before congress.

Security expert David Kennedy has warned that the Obamacare website Healthcare.gov was not designed with security in mind, and that it could take as long as a year to address the “critical and high exposures on the website.”

Kennedy, CEO of the security consultancy TrustedSec, testified before congress last week about the security lapses he found after conducting a fairly routine, low-intensity penetration test of the government run website, saying that the developers took little to no care in producing a secure portal.

“When you develop a website, you develop it with security in mind. And it doesn’t appear to have happened this time,” said Kennedy. “It’s really hard to go back and fix the security around it because security wasn’t built into it.”

Video here from CNBC.

Interesting, it is food for thought, no doubt. To get down to brass tacks, if we end up saving significant money, we will likely do it, unless actual thefts occur and get publicized. It is also possible Kennedy has an axe to grind. I don't know why that article didn't come up. I did find this article which somewhat refutes Kennedy. I don't know what exactly what CMS' Deputy Chief Information Officer Henry Chao meant by "met all security standards", but if he is bullshitting, his head should be on the block pretty quick, no? I did get a kick out of Rep. Steve telling Obama to fire a bunch of people because they didn't tell him something, once again.

Lamar Smith does not believe in science over faith on issues of science, and that committee is Congressional backwater.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:22 am

Sandi wrote:Sno, David Kennedy isn't "my people", he is CEO of TrustedSec, a security consult service that testified before congress.

CEO is shorthand for "the words from my mouth don't represent my real interests or intentions."
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:35 am

I'm pretty sure that other countries have adopted that same system...do they have any doctors there or did they all flee? Come to thing of it, isn't the VA ran like a "single payer"? Does the VA have any doctors available to treat patients?

That aside, I am curious about one statement that was made in regards to the changes VT is making: "all hospitals and healthcare providers will now be nonprofit" Short of seizing the for-profit entities that are currently in the state, how is that supposed to work?
Last edited by penquin on Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:39 am

penquin wrote:

I'm pretty sure that other countries have adopted that same system...do they have any doctors there or did they all flee?

Come to thing of it, isn't the VA ran like a "single payer"? Does the VA have any doctors available to treat patients?

I agree that you have to pay talent to keep it. It's the only justification for paying those Wall St. failures what we do. It's also a great argument to pay our teachers decent. Seems like some people are comfortable with the average McDonald's employee getting that gig. Still though not every doctor is in it just for the biggest payday and at different points in a career it may make sense to take a totally decent wage in a job with stability. There are, and will be doctors in any single payer system.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:53 am

Sandi wrote: David Kennedy never said the site "had already been hacked," he said it could have already been hacked.

Please identify a single web site on the internet where it can not be said that "it could have been hacked."

There is no such thing as an impenetrable website. Why does this Kennedy guy single-out healthcare.gov to make this comment? How does the security of healthcare.gov compare to IRS.gov or medicare.gov?

Obviously, it is critically important for healthcare.gov to be up and running over next three weeks, every day counts. So calls by Republicans to take it off line are transparently malicious.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:55 pm

johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:58 pm

fisticuffs wrote:It's also a great argument to pay our teachers decent.

If you are an example, sounds like you are making an argument to train them decent. :?

How much do teachers earn per year in Madison?

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government