MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, August 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 78.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Min. Wage Worth $2 Less Than It Was In 1968:

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Min. Wage Worth $2 Less Than It Was In 1968:

Postby fennel » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:57 pm

johnfajardohenry wrote: What I do not understand is why stop at $10
Right. Let's increment it by $5 per year until the market regulates itself. If it eventually levels off, so be it.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:00 pm

Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:58 am

Here is what some Wisconsin Republican legislators think about a living wage:

A fast-moving bill that will water down living wage ordinances in municipalities and counties across the state, including in Madison, will be the topic of a public hearing at the state Capitol Wednesday.

Assembly Bill 750 was added to the Assembly Labor Committee's Wednesday agenda on Tuesday morning, just in time to meet the 24-hour public meeting notice.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:30 pm

Nice video showing the current wealth distribution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPKKQni ... ded#at=279
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:35 am

$10.10 minimum wage would help economy, create jobs

Higher wages means more disposable income. When that extra money is spent, it helps create more jobs. Yes, some jobs might be lost because of an increase in the minimum wage, but that will be offset by the new jobs created when more money is spent. After all, McDonald's aren't going to close or replace workers with robots.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:41 am

If $10 is good, wouldn't $20 be great?
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:58 am

The rest of us are pretty sure we don't want to follow in the footsteps of the one percent.

Most of us prefer "If we don't have to worry about food, shelter, and health care, it's enough" rather than "Give me ALL of it, motherfucker!"

I understand the mindset of those who must take till there is no more, drink till the bottle is dry, eat till you puke and complain because your stomach hurts. Society ingrained it in me as a child. That was how we thought back then. But I got better. Some of us never do.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:12 am

Yawn. Sigh. Still debating minimum wage?

There is no significant evidence (and "significant" is a courtesy, I truly believe there is NONE) that raising the minimum wage has negative effects on the economy. None. Oh, there are lots and lots of ideas and theories being shared as facts, but that doesn't make them facts.

Why not go to $20 or $30 or $40 per hour minimum wage, jfh? Weak reductio ad absurdum aside, the answer is that there is a point of balance, and going too far one way will be no more beneficial than being too far the other way (where we are now).

You assume that because conservatives want it all for themselves, the liberals must also want it all for themselves. This is not the case. Liberals are looking for the balance which leads to the best economic and social environment for all. Yes, all, even for the conservatives who clearly don't understand.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:58 am

A $10 minimum wage will not always result in more wages for employees heading off to work every day. In many cases, their jobs will be filled by Robots.

A company called Momentum Machines in southern California has developed a robot that cranks out 400 perfectly-prepared burgers every hour. (Note: Robots do not sneeze. Ever. Think about that for a bit.)
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:30 am

Sandi wrote:A $10 minimum wage will not always result in more wages for employees heading off to work every day. In many cases, their jobs will be filled by Robots.
Well, you can't argue with any link that uses a Cylon reference to explain The World of the (Robotic) Future, so I guess we're all doomed. DOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMED!!!!!!!
Although I gotta say, the author seems downright giddy about our coming robot overlords, so it's hard for me to get too worked up. I mean, robots do prevent arm-lopping, she helpfully reminds us, and who wouldn't want a Jetsons-style robot maid? But I am gonna enroll in a robot repair course just in case -- you can never be too careful, right? And I'm definitely gonna stop supporting a hike in the minimum wage. If poor people don't want their jobs taken over by robots, maybe they need to stop demanding things like bathroom breaks, working exit doors, and pay checks. Better still, they could become engineers themselves and do something useful. Like designing robots that could lop off arms cheaper and more efficiently, for example.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:42 am

Sandi wrote:A $10 minimum wage will not always result in more wages for employees heading off to work every day. In many cases, their jobs will be filled by Robots.

A company called Momentum Machines in southern California has developed a robot that cranks out 400 perfectly-prepared burgers every hour. (Note: Robots do not sneeze. Ever. Think about that for a bit.)
Why do corporations need robots when there are so many people who willingly parrot their talking points for free via the corporate-owned media they watch?
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:29 pm

There is a push to put advisory referenda to increase the minimum wage on county ballots throughout Wisconsin. Let's see how politically moderate areas of the state respond.

Coming to a ballot near you: Minimum wage referendum
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:16 pm

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/201 ... mpaign=app
"States That Raised Minimum Wage See Faster Job Growth Report Says"
AP says "In the 13 states that boosted their minimums at the beginning of the year, the number of jobs grew an average of 0.85 percent from January through June. The average for the other 37 states was 0.61 percent.

The Economist says: "America's minimum wage has long been low by international standards, equalling just 38% of the median wage in 2011, close to the lowest in the OECD.
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to National Politics & Government