MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Skating at Olbrich
Sunday, January 25, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 25.0° F  Light Snow
Collapse Photo Bar

Saudi Family Sues a Genie

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Saudi Family Sues a Genie

Postby Jazznews » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:20 am

A Saudi family claims that a genie has been harassing them and stealing from them. So they are taking it to Shariah court. Maybe the genie wants more rights for women.

The lawsuit filed in Shariah court accuses the genie of leaving them threatening voicemails, stealing their cell phones and hurling rocks at them when they leave their house at night, said Al-Watan newspaper.

An investigation was under way, local court officials said.

"We have to verify the truthfulness of this case despite the difficulty of doing so," Sheikh Amr Al Salmi, the head of the court, told Al-Watan. "What makes this case and complaint more interesting is that it wasn't filed by just one person. Every member of the family is part of this case."

The family, which has lived in the same house near the holy city of Medina for 15 years, said it became aware of the spirit in the past two years.

"We began hearing strange noises," the head of the family, who requested anonymity, told Al-Watan. "In the beginning, we didn't take it seriously, but after that, stranger things started happening and the children got really scared when the genie began throwing stones."

A local charity has moved the family to a temporary residence while a court investigates, the newspaper said.

In Islamic cultures, a belief in genies, or jinns, is common.

Genies not only appear in pre-Islamic fiction such as "Arabian Nights," but are also mentioned in the Quran.

Many Saudis believe invisible genies live among them and are capable of demonic possession and revenge.
CNN
Jazznews
Forum Addict

Re: Saudi Family Sues a Genie

Postby Ned Flounders » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:24 am

Heh. Reminds me of that story about Icelanders who believe in elves:

Alcoa, the biggest aluminum company in the country, encountered two problems peculiar to Iceland when, in 2004, it set about erecting its giant smelting plant. The first was the so-called "hidden people" -- or, to put it more plainly, elves -- in whom some large number of Icelanders, steeped long and thoroughly in their rich folkloric culture, sincerely believe. Before Alcoa could build its smelter it had to defer to a government expert to scour the enclosed plant site and certify that no elves were on or under it. It was a delicate corporate situation, an Alcoa spokesman told me, because they had to pay hard cash to declare the site elf-free but, as he put it, "we couldn't as a company be in a position of acknowledging the existence of hidden people."

and

Builders of the country's first shopping mall took care to lay electrical cables and other underground installations well away from the suspected homes of gnomes and fairies. Couples who are planning a new house will sometimes hire "elf-spotters" to make sure the lot is free of spirit folk.

Of course, here in the US we have no shortage of people who believe in angels, or in wacky ideas like burying a statue of Saint Joseph on your property to make it sell faster:

Dawn Hoernemann of Minneapolis, Minnesota, had her one-bedroom home on the market for four months. Every weekend there was an open house. But there were no offers. That's until she took her mom's advice and buried a statue of St. Joseph upside down in her front yard.

The next week, she had three offers and her home was sold. "I couldn't believe it. I don't know what it is about it. It worked. It's some sort of a miracle," says Hoernemann.

This "miracle" has it roots in Catholicism. According to the tradition, burying St. Joseph began hundreds of years ago in Europe. St. Teresa of Avila, a nun in the 16th century, buried a medal of the saint and prayed to St. Joseph to help secure land for a convent. The ritual is said to have worked, and so the trend of burying St. Joseph has caught on.

Just ask Phil Cates of Modesto, California. His online retail site, StJosephStatue.com, offers the "Underground Real Estate Agent" home-selling kits. For $9.95, the 4-inch statue comes with a burial bag and a burial instruction booklet. There's even an 8-inch version of the statue for larger homes.

Sales have increased 100 percent in the past two years, according to Cates.

Robert Malhame, who runs Malhame & Co -- a Catholic supply company on Long Island, says sales of the St. Joseph Statue spiked last year. And he expects the trend to last. "We're probably going to sell over 100,000 this year," he says. The biggest demand is coming from the Northeast and the Midwest, he says.

Lawsuits against genies? Professional elf-spotters? Guardian angels and ritual burial of plastic figurines of St Joseph?

Most people are fundamentally irrational.
Ned Flounders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cortez » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:24 am

Lawsuits against genies? Professional elf-spotters? Guardian angels and ritual burial of plastic figurines of St Joseph? Most people are fundamentally irrational.

Ha ha ha ha. This is my number one favorite thread ever. There is such a thing as a professional Elf-spotter? I want that job. I think I might have a knack... I could offer not only to spot the Elf, but challenge them to a magic duel. I would be a great Elf-Spotter, I would totally go all out; the only thing more fun than being ridiculously full of BS is being ridiculously full of it for cold, hard cash. People get paid for that? I neeeeed this job............

People would be like, "who do you work for?" I'd be like, "Dude, I work for Iceland." But... how to get hired by Iceland? Hmmmmmmm.
Cortez
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flounders » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:46 pm

hightlow wrote:... spam written in white text on a white background ...

There's something amusing about invisible spam posted to a thread about invisible elves.
Ned Flounders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby hronstve » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:13 pm

Hi,

I really got interested with the thoughts that you've posted in here. It seems unbelievable. As to respect the different beliefs of the different cultures, there were still a lot of doubts that I have in my mind. It was very unusual to have this kind of case because the only thing that they will going to encounter is the beliefs of having invisible creatures.

Regards,
hronstve
help with anxiety
hronstve

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:53 am

Cram the spam.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lily » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:55 pm

Ned Flounders wrote:...Most people are fundamentally irrational.

----------------------------
True. There's no such thing as "common sense" especially once you factor in politics or religion.
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Headlines