MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, November 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 39.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Coffee Makers

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Re: Coffee Makers

Postby dave esmond » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:19 pm

narcoleptish wrote:Dad has a 30 year old electric percolator pot, still going strong.

There you go. The percolator I bought 5-6 years ago for about $25 is going strong and makes really good tasting coffee.

I worked at multiple coffee shops and I've tried just about every system out there.

You do get more of the oils from coffee with a percolator so if your stomach is sensitive that may be a good reason to avoid. But it also means the coffee tastes better...to me.

I'll take the better taste and not replacing a drip maker every 6-12 months.
dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:24 pm

I definitely prefer manual over automatic. I bought one of these in 1981. Still works like a charm.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:32 pm

I've used just about every system made and switched back and forth. The last thing I used was a french press. I think it could make 3 cups. Problem is leftover coffee would sit in there with the grounds and turn less than perfect. After all these years I reverted back the system my dad used. Pour boiling water into a pyrex cup along with two tablespoons of ground coffee, let sit 5 minutes, pour brewed coffee through sieve, top off with milk for a rich, warm and strong latte. I read about that cholesterol thing too, so I pour it through a folded up paper filter and my old Melita cone.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:50 pm

narcoleptish wrote:
Endo Rockstar wrote: then on the weekend in run a couple of pots of vinegar and water through it and wash the pot in the dishwasher.

EVery weekend? That's probably the secret to the longevity but I know there's no way I'm going to remember, let alone want, to do that weekly. The Cuisinart has a light that comes on telling you it needs cleaning and of course I do it about a week later. The cleaning mode runs the mixture through very slowly and on all 3 machines it has stopped working after 2 years. It shuts down after a couple minutes and you have to finish on the normal brew setting, which doesn't work so well.

Yeah, I do it every weekend. It's part of the Saturday routine. I set the coffee to brew like normal for saturday morning and when I've worked my way through the pot I rinse it and run vinegar and water through a couple times then, into the diswasher.

Seems to work for me.

Like I said, sundays are a "treat" day. I use the French press and if I have it, I grind up some EVP Italian dark roast. -- On Monday its back to Aldi's pre-ground 10% sawdust roast.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:08 pm

Here's a little tip that isn't in any of the Mr Coffee manuals or on their website: When the reminder light comes on to clean the machine, and you pour in the prescribed amount of vinegar, and then a few minutes later, the machine emits a sustained loud high-pitched beep that never shuts off and you can hear throughout the entire house and after ten minutes or so triggers a primal anger/violence response. That beep means you have to add an extra cup of vinegar. Then it shuts up and the cleaning resumes.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:20 pm

Narco, the siphon coffee maker* that Stebben posted is awesome. I -- ahem, we -- got one as a wedding present, and it makes the cleanest pot of coffee you'll ever brew at home. It's also fun to watch, and is participatory without requiring fussiness. Totally electricity-free; you'd love it! But seriously, they're great.

*coffeemaker when it's a small electric appliance, coffee maker when it's a device that makes coffee manually -- in my opinion.

PS: The siphon is a vacuum-pull brewer; percolators are push brewers.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Violet_Skye » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:28 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:I use a plastic cone and hot water. Thing about the plastic cone is that unlike drip coffee machines, you can tell that it's clean. I worry about what's going on inside drip coffee machines.

Same here. Best coffee is pour over, imo.
Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:34 pm

Violet_Skye wrote:
Kenneth Burns wrote:I use a plastic cone and hot water. Thing about the plastic cone is that unlike drip coffee machines, you can tell that it's clean. I worry about what's going on inside drip coffee machines.

The porcelain version is nice, since, it being white, one can tell whether it's clean. No BPA either.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:40 pm

Yes. I had a porcelain cone until I broked it. I can't have nice things.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:46 pm

How early do you folks get up in order to have time for all these awesome coffee gizmos?

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Violet_Skye » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:08 pm

fennel wrote:
Violet_Skye wrote:

The porcelain version is nice, since, it being white, one can tell whether it's clean. No BPA either.

Mine is so old any BPA is long since ingested, since before any of us heard of BPA ;-) But yeah, when it finally breaks I will get a porcelain one. If there's a way to prove they aren't made in China and have lead in the glaze. It's always something.
Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Violet_Skye » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:11 pm

Endo Rockstar wrote:How early do you folks get up in order to have time for all these awesome coffee gizmos?

-Dan Motor

I put the kettle on to boil, grind the beans, fill the paper cone, pour over the water (just before the boil), done in under ten minutes start to finish. I could do it in my sleep after all this time, and often do.
Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:31 pm

Got one last month and have used it every day since. It brews one perfect cup. Not a lot of mess and it uses these little filters, which might take care of the cholesterol business.

Also: There are world championships. And passionately-produced videos like this: http://vimeo.com/14909960
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby chainsawcurtis » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:50 pm

jman111 wrote:Image
Farberware "Super-Fast" electric percolator

Brews FAST, easy cleanup.

I can attest to the superfast element. It's makes almost two quarts of coffee in about six minutes. I've had it (a glass topped model) for almost thirty years. I also have it's little brother that I use at work which makes a quart in about 4 minutes. Image

My wife bought this Krups six months ago at Goodwill brand new with the manual for $10. Pot of coffee in about six minutes. Re-useable gold filter for about four bucks. We've only cleaned it once but it doesn't seem to affect the speed.
chainsawcurtis
Forum Addict

Postby wallrock » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:20 pm

I have an AeroPress that I use on the weekends or on occasions where I want one cup but for my daily use I have one of the Bunn reservoir coffee makers. It does have a vacation switch that turns off the heater on the reservoir and when I first got it I would turn it off after brewing and on again the next day when I first woke up. Now I only switch it off when I know I'll be traveling for a day or more as I didn't notice any significant difference in energy usage when I kept it on. It does brew a pot very fast and rarely requires much cleaning.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Catch All