:?:
btrapp
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:35 pm

When you thank me for cluing you in, I'll say "You're welcome." :wink:
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby btrapp » Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:11 pm

Actually Mr P, that's how I use it also. but thanks anyways 8)

The question was prompted 'cause when I said "You're welcome" to a co-worker today, she responded with "Oh no, the welcome is yours."

I never thought about it 'till that moment....but both ways do seem to work.
btrapp
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:14 pm

"You are welcome" presumably dates back to the day when travel was less frequent, and both guest and host were expected to follow elaborate courtesies in order to establish mutual trust. The thanks given, and the reciprocal welcome extended, establish a level of respect and gravity beyond that of the interaction of stangers.

I reflexively say "Bless you" when people sneeze in my presence. This has gotten me many strange looks, and a few deeply sincere thanks - from people across the demographic spectrum.

Some people just want to be strangers in a crowd. I understand why they feel the way they do, but I just disagree. It's better to matter, and to have other people matter.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:27 pm

Marvell wrote:"You are welcome" presumably dates back to the day when travel was less frequent, and both guest and host were expected to follow elaborate courtesies in order to establish mutual trust. The thanks given, and the reciprocal welcome extended, establish a level of respect and gravity beyond that of the interaction of stangers.

I reflexively say "Bless you" when people sneeze in my presence. This has gotten me many strange looks, and a few deeply sincere thanks - from people across the demographic spectrum.

Some people just want to be strangers in a crowd. I understand why they feel the way they do, but I just disagree. It's better to matter, and to have other people matter.

Great reply. I was expecting something more snarky, yet witty as usual.

I say Gesundheit.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:08 am

Henry Vilas wrote:I say Gesundheit.

I wipe my hand across my cheek and frown. You get much more interesting responses that way.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:39 am

btrapp wrote:I never thought about it 'till that moment....but both ways do seem to work.

And the word "till" is rather strange as well. Technically, the word is an abbreviation for "until" and should contain an apostrophe to indicate the missing letters and only one "l." Hence " 'til." The word "till," however, seems to be acceptable to even the snobbiest of writers, even though when spelled with two l's, till is a synonym for plow, not "until." At any rate, under no circumstances should it be spelled with an apostrophe and two l's.

I was reading something containing the word "till" recently and its location kind of surprised me... it was either James Joyce or Oscar Wilde... I can't remember which.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:44 am

pjbogart wrote: And the word "till" is rather strange as well. Technically, the word is an abbreviation for "until" and should contain an apostrophe to indicate the missing letters and only one "l."

Oddly, this is incorrect.
The word "till" actually predates the word "until" - the prefix "un" was added later. Sometime in the 18th century, the usage "'till" (note the apostrophe) became common, later to be replaced by "'til". The former is now considered nonstandard, but the latter has become accepted although it is etymologically incorrect.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby btrapp » Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:51 pm

pjbogart wrote:At any rate, under no circumstances should it be spelled with an apostrophe and two l's.

I wasn't aware of that 'till you told me

Not that it will make me change my habits, of course...

:lol:
btrapp
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:20 pm

btrapp wrote: Not that it will make me change my habits, of course...:
If there's one thing most of us have learned from your posts, it's that nothing makes you change your habits.
In fact, I have a theory that you've already learned everything you ever will.
Seriosily.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby btrapp » Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:34 pm

It's nice you have your theories, but many times I've said "I didn't know that, thanks for sharing"

Seriousily

For instance, I learned today that you're an even bigger asshole than I orginally thought.
btrapp
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:40 pm

btrapp wrote:I learned today that you're an even bigger asshole than I orginally thought.

Well, this serves as further evidence towards my theory that your mind is generally closed to learning and self-improvement.
The evidence for my overwhelming assholishness has been proudly displayed on this forum for three years now.
Pay attention, willya? Playing catch-up for you is unfair to the rest of the class.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby btrapp » Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:49 pm

I already knew you were an asshole. I already knew you took great pride in your anti-social behavior. I already knew that you perfer to stir shit up rather than have a decent convo. (From what I understand, that's not just limited to your online activity) I just wasn't aware of how much of an asshole you really are.

Thanxs for sharing...it's very insightful
btrapp
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:06 pm

btrapp wrote:(From what I understand, that's not just limited to your online activity)

Once again proving your "understanding" is limited, at best.
Pretty easy to sling third-party insults, isn't it?
I knew someone who met a guy who knew you and he said you were smelly. Must be true, eh?
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby btrapp » Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:17 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:I knew someone who met a guy who knew you and he said you were smelly. Must be true, eh?

Depends when he saw me...sure. Sometimes I stink....'tis part of being human.

And of course someone must have actually told you that. You wouldn't say it otherwise...would you? I mean...you're not one of those hyper-defensive people who'd just make that sort of shit up 'cause your feelings got hurt over what was said about you....are you?
btrapp
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Catch All